2006 Honda Civic brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Dec 102014

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. While driving approximately 20 mph, the rear of the vehicle started shaking and emitting unknown noises. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 07V399000 (service brakes, hydraulic); however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the wheel bearings needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- South Envoy, NJ, USA

Aug 172014

Civic 4-cyl

The brake line of our 2006 Civic developed a major leak as a result of corrosion or abrasion, leading to a loss of brake fluid and severely diminished braking.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Jun 172013

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 07V399000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The contact stated that the dealer declined to repair the vehicle under the recall due to the wheel bearing being painted. The vehicle was not repaired. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle would excessively wear down tires. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 99,838.

- Coamo, PR, USA

May 172014

Civic 4-cyl

My brake lights failed except for the middle brake light above the trunk. Both bulbs have been replaced as well as the fuse. All other lights including hazard, backup, and blinkers work. An independent mechanic has examined the vehicle and confirmed the problem lies with the brake position switch and is related Honda defect code 5ey00 related to vins that begin jhmfa1 and supplied with me with a Honda service bulletins referring to this. 2 Honda service associates have insisted this is not under a recall. This is dangerous, please help.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Apr 112014

Civic 4-cyl

I had a car accident on the huntingdon side of pine groves mountain on pa 26 South. I drove a Honda Civic 06 LX. When I was going down the mountain, I applied the brake normally to slow down before a curve when the speed was at 60 mph, but my car was drifting, not like hydroplaning at all. There was no water to cause that but it rained five to six hours before the accident. During the whole course of incident, the steering wheel was not responsive. When it started to drift, it skidded towards the incoming lane. I tried to correct the steering wheel slightly, it took much more force to operate the steering wheel and the direction was not corrected, so I adjusted it more. Then the head suddenly turned 60 to 80 degrees and hit the guardrail and then the car turned more than 180 degrees clockwise; then the tail hit a stop-sign pole and the car stopped in the mud. Since the car was still drivable, I did not call the police to check the scene. I think it was caused by Honda's design defects since I had Goodyear four-season tires with more than enough grids, so I want to hire an investigator to investigate my case and ask Honda to buy the car back. But none of the law firms I contacted could help me. During the whole course, there was no car coming in both directions. Two cars passed me by when I was pulling my car out of mud but none of them stopped, so I guess there was no witness. The first time when I applied the brake again after the incident, I felt the brake was flimsy, so I drove much slower later, at around 40 mph. I am not sure if the brake could handle that wet road again, but most of time at most places the brake does not fail, so I assume I experienced a case, on wet road with downhill gravity, that the car is incapable of handling.

- Huntingdon, PA, USA

Mar 312013

Civic 4-cyl

I was stopped at a stop light that had just turned red (no one was in front of me). When I noticed that the light was turning yellow for the cross traffic, I let up on the brakes a little bit & maybe rolled a few inches. Suddenly I felt a forward thrust & immediately depressed the brake harder & looked in my rearview mirror as it felt like a car was pushing mine, there was no car behind me. I could hear the engine revving & I had to put more pressure on the brakes but then the light had turned green so I began to accelerate. (this all happened in just a few seconds) I immediately looked at the carpet which was completely in place. I continued to drive & when I had to stop I left a lot of space from the car in front of me but I was not able to recreate the incident. It was not full throttle but enough to really scare me. Yesterday I made a report to Honda of America & they were going to forward the report to the larry hopkins Honda dealer in burlingame where I have an appointment this Friday, April 4th. I did find reports on the internet where other people have had that same thing happen & their garage could never duplicate the incident or find a cause for it so I expect my visit to be fruitless & a waste of money, but I realize that I have to do it. I will always worry as long as I drive this car that could happen again & I may not be as lucky with the outcome. I was not planning to buy another new car until 2016.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Aug 012013

Civic 4-cyl

I took my car into a shop to get it checked out and they said I have uneven tire wear he showed me it looked like zebra stripes in my tires. He said he thinks this was a recall. But he also said I needed front brakes. He said the rear brakes were not being used at all and that's why my front brakes went so quick. I was very upset. They should not have sold me a car that didn't have brakes in the rear. I have 2 children 1 is 3 and the other is 9. I really need to have brakes in my car.

- Wingdale, NY, USA

Aug 242012

Civic 4-cyl

Both rear brake lights stop working at the same time. Checked the fuse and bulb, both which are good. It appears the brake lights stop working after I pressed on brakes hard enough to engage ABS in an emergency situation. The high brake light mounted on the backlite is working.

- North Potomac, MD, USA