2006 Honda Civic electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Oct 212009

Civic

Electronic motor assist (ema) battery failure in a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid. The car had 60,000 miles on it and the battery that powers the electronic motor failed. When the batteries become faulty: Gas mileage is decreased as well as the car's overall horsepower(by about 20-25 hp if I am correct). This makes driving the car unpredictable when in traffic. The $3,000 battery was replaced by Honda through warranty(stops at 80,000 miles). Honda had stated that the batteries should last at least 100,000 miles. The batteries seem to be going be failing in 50,000-70,000 mileage area at an extraordinary rate. I believe this may be my second replacement as in 2007 I had a complete ema failure on the highway. The electronic motor assist failed 100%. all the lights on my dashboard turned on and the rpms shot way up. The dealership had my car for over a week and then told me that it needed a software update which takes minutes to update.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Jan 212010

Civic

While driving on the highway, all the dashboard lights turned off and the accelerator was not responsive. However, the brakes still worked. After coasting to a stop, the car was able to restart immediately. This failure has not yet recurred. The symptoms are very similar to those caused by a defective ignition switch, which was recalled on 2002 Honda models.

- Falmouth, ME, USA

Aug 102007

Civic

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid which was purchased in November 2005. She noticed a significant decrease in the gas mileage between 10 to 15 mpg. She also stated that while driving uphill or accelerating the vehicle would lose power. There were no recalls pertaining to the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 100,000. Updated 10/26/09. The consumer stated since the vehicle passed the 50,000 mile mark, it looses power when traveling up hill and/or acceleration. The dealer performed computer upgrades but to no avail. Updated 10/26/09.

- Shingle Springs , CA, USA

Sep 122009

Civic

Hybrid battery immediately & without warning loses its entire charge (from full to zero immediately) causing a forced major recharge of hybrid battery, giving the car almost no power with no warning (under normal conditions it never reaches zero--a mild recharge will kick in once it gets half-full). But now it goes from full to zero immediately with no warning. Almost caused accident this month when it happened again while on freeway (almost got smashed into when lost power on fwy). Honda's techs verified the problem with my car but because they receive no error code they refuse to do any fixes and replace the batteries even though problem is well-known (just search the hybrid car forums for others with the exact same problem). Happens a few times each month now, always without warning, always immediately from full (or near full) to zero. This is not the same as a normal gradual depletion as you use the hybrid system under normal use. It suddenly discharges the hybrid battery from full to zero and forces a major recharge pulling away most of the car's power that can easily cause an accident. But even though Honda has verified the problem on my car themselves and it's a known problem, they refuse to replace the hybrid battery because they don't get an error code (and in calif by law, hybrid battery has 8-10yr warranty). Their answer to me was to just keep driving the car no matter how unsafe it is because without a code they won't fix it (too expensive for a "blind" fix). For others who've reported the same problem, Honda got "rid" of the problem by "updating" the car's software to basically turn off the hybrid system so the defective battery won't even be used). This is not a fix. They don't want to fix problem even though they're obligated to. Happens numerous times now. They've verified it. And recently 2 times that almost got me smashed into. Latest 2 times was Sept 2009, but has happened for about the last 8-9 months. Honda admits problem, but refuses to fix.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Jun 112009

Civic

My 2006 Civic hybrid has multiple problems with the ima: Here's a short list: 1. cannot sit at traffic light more than 20 seconds without hybrid battery draining itself and causing car not to be able to accelerate when light turns green. 2. cannot use A/C when over 95 degrees outside or hybrid battery drains itself, making car unable to function correctly 3. cannot use cruise control at all or hybrid battery drains itself 4. cannot go over 70 mph or tac revs so high that car acts as though it will overheat or shut down. Multiple trips to Honda service for help resulted in 5 computer updates in last 3 months. Was assured this would fix all problems. Hasn't fixed a one yet. Have been driving a loaner car from dealer for 1.5 weeks until they figure out problem. Feel like sitting duck on the road, especially at stop lights because when light turns green, there is a real possibility that I will not be able to move and fear getting rear-ended. Problems seemed to center around use of compressor with A/C or defrost.

- Wamego, KS, USA

Feb 152008

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. While driving at any speed, especially when making a turn, the wheels feel as if they will detach from the vehicle. The vehicle bounces and shakes and the speedometer displays inaccurate readings. While driving 30 mph, the speedometer will display 50 mph and vice versa. The dealer informed the contact to check the gas cover. On one of the four occasions that she went to the dealer, she was informed that the failure was internal. Repairs were made, but the failure persists. On another occasion, the contact was informed that there were no failures. She is afraid to drive the vehicle with her children. The current mileage was 24,358 and failure mileage was 15,000. Updated 09/24/08 updated 09/26/08.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Aug 302007

Civic 4-cyl

I have a Honda Civic 2006 (lease) this car has 2 recall one on 8/30/07 and on 11/07 but the dealer never sent me any warning, note, letter or call to notify this situation, I read that by fed law they should contact me and let me know the ricks that this issue can cause me. I called because I had a problem with my car keys code and they told about this and they said sorry because they do not know why I was not notify about this I very disappointed because that is very dangerous and I do not get notify at all, I had 3 cars with the Honda all 3 are lease cars so it is not excuse that they cannot contact me also I am living T the same place for more than one year and I got my Honda bill every month.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 012007

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid. The contact received a recall notice in December of 2007 for the integrated motor assist cable, which stated that it could cause an electrical shortage. He called the dealer numerous times and was informed that the part was not available. The consequence of this defect is that the battery may explode. There had been no failure to date. The recall number was unknown. The current mileage was 14,000 and failure mileage was 12,000.

- Marathon, FL, USA

Apr 282007

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid. In late April of 2007, the engine light, ica light, and battery light illuminated while exiting the highway at 10 mph. The vehicle stopped accelerating and the failure occurred three times. The dealer performed a repair on the vehicle, but the failure still occurs. The current mileage is 5,400 and failure mileage was 3,500.

- Mtclair, NJ, USA

Nov 012006

Civic 4-cyl

My 2006 Honda hybrid has a surge problem. I've smelled battery fluids before plus the ima drive shuts down under load (long-distance freeway driving) which causes multiple drivability issues. The vehicle does not come close to the advertised mpg levels while under normal driving conditions and I have also experienced an accident that I believe may have been surge instigated as this problem happens when depressing the brake pedal. When you depress the pedal the vehicle surges forward. I was parked and had just covered the brake after assessing the roadway when a woman hit me. She stated it was my fault but I had the brake on and my work partner saw something related to this on the televisions at a shell gas station relaying the information to me. I have not been able to acquire any other information about this vehicle and due to the fact I have paid (paying) 35 thousand dollars for this vehicle I feel Honda owes me an explanation at the very least. I never reported the defects as I was under the belief it was just my amplifier that was smelling but now I am unsure. I have had poor service from carson Honda in the past and am reluctant to use them in the future so if you can help me, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Aug 222006

Civic 4-cyl

At about 11,000 miles when the vehicle was 6 months old, the engine light came on for no apparent reason. From that point forward, the problems began to escalate. The vehicle engine began to reduce the speed of the vehicle from 75 to 50, 50 to 35 and on another occasion, 45 to 25 while merging into traffic on the interstate. On all occasions, the vehicle was being driven on the interstate at high speeds. The vehicle is a manual transmission. The service department at the dealership where the vehicle was purchased on 2/2006 finally conceded that they could not fix the vehicle. The vehicle was referred to american Honda corporation for mediation and a buy back price. At this point in time, the vehicle meets all test requirements for the North Carolina lemon law. American Honda wants to trade in the vehicle and replace the engine, then resell.. Honda Civic sedan with navigation. This vehicle should be destroyed and not resold on the marketplace.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Oct 282006

Civic

I have an intermittent problem with a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid. The car on 8 occasions has not restarted when in the auto stop mode when I take my foot off the brake. My dealer and american Honda refuse to address the problem since it is intermittent. I am stuck in traffic until I restart the car by going to park. I feel I am a sitting duck and sooner or later will be rear ended.

- Largo, FL, USA

Oct 222006

Civic 4-cyl

Purchased new Honda Civic ex on 5/25/06 1st failure on 7/21/2006: Front and rear (tail) running lights failed with 1666 miles on the car ---- dealership replaced fuse box. Kept car for several days 2nd failure on 7/31/2006: Front and rear (tail) running lights again failed ---- headlight switch replaced, car driven by dealership for almost two weeks to ensure repair successful 3rd failure on 10/22/2006: Front and rear (tail) running lights again stopped working ---- Honda America wanted car back to investigate/repair lights ---- declined request and instead have asked Honda to repurchase the vehicle, invoking the lemon law buyback provision because unreliable/intermittent rear running lights failure can lead to death or serious bodily injury and two failed repair attempts are sufficient to invoke the buyback provision in our state. Honda sent this demand to internal Honda arbitration board. It is now 11/2/2006 - 11 days after notifying them of lights failing for 3rd time.

- Mountain View, CA, USA

Oct 112006

Civic 4-cyl

After driving 10 miles and parking, the vehicle was put into reverse. Upon backing out the steering wheel locked. After this, the car was put into drive to go back into the parking space. With the vehicle in drive the car continued in reverse. The engine was then turned off and restarted 1 minute later. Everything was back to normal. This occurred 11-Oct-2006 and 1 previous time last month. Honda has no record of this on 2006 Civic.

- Willis, TX, USA

Jul 212006

Civic 4-cyl

Rear running lights failed twice in one week. Fuse box with electronic chip replaced on first visit and lights failed again after two days. ABS light also came on during first visit for rear running light problem and service dept replaced the ABS modulator and bled the brakes before returning car. Service dept baffled by electrical problem and consulted with Honda engineers in los angeles who recommended replacing fuse box which is new design and has electronic chip in it, unlike earlier Honda Civic models. Dealer had driven approx. 30 miles and thought problem resolved. Severe safety issue as car has no rear lights visible at night.

- Mountain View, CA, USA