2006 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Dec 122015

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle started overheating. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle failed to restart. After waiting some time, the vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine had a crack and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Van Nuyes, CA, USA

Oct 222015

Barely 20 days after the warranty my car stopped on a highway with white fumes under the hood. With brakes, transmission, accelerator not working, I had literally rely on my luck to get it out of the last lane onto a shoulder. It was scary. I towed the car to a nearest dealer. He diagnosed cracked engine block due to over heating, coolant leakage. I had replace the engine for 3494.90$.

- Memphis, TN, USA

May 082015

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. While driving 10 mph, the vehicle lost power and failed to accelerate. The engine and the ima lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the voltage converter module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V106000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 132015

Vehicle turned off suddenly without warning, while in motion. Mechanic confirmed that there was a crack in the engine block that caused the vehicle to stop. Parts are on back order and vehicle is inoperable, but Honda would not provide a loaner vehicle.

- Brookfield, WI, USA

Aug 102015

Vehicle began to overheat at low speed. Cel came on and started blinking and vehicle went into "limp mode". vehicle could not go over 10mph. Car returned home and code indicated misfire in 3rd cylinder. Coolant was extremely low and a small amount of smoke/steam could be seen coming from tailpipe. Pressure test of coolant system revealed leaks in all cylinders (primarily C3). Compression test indicated crack in head (near intake). Possibility due to overheating and warping of head. Called Honda America to verify that issues is covered under warranty (specifically tsb 10-048). Honda America denied warranty because the tsb only covers specific external cracks in the engine block. The cracks on this vehicle were likely inside the head, possibly inside of cylinder. Cause of initial overheating remains unidentified. Honda America maintains that this warranty is specific to external cracks.

- Williston, VT, USA

Aug 092015

As the single owner and driver of an 06 Honda Civic that I purchased new and paid for in full, I have full service for the vehicle as recommended at the dealer site where it is purchased. I had the vehicle serviced for lube/oil/& oil filter change on 7/27/2015 and they also perform the multipoint inspection. In just 12 days, engine overheating occurred while I was driving on I-95. Upon my return home from work, I heard a humming I had never heard before. As I slowed down to listen closer to determine origin, I see that no engine lights. After few minutes, the temperature gauge indicated sever overheating, then the car sputters, rapidly losing power -I barely made it to the side of the road safely out of traffic on I-95 when the car shuts off and smoke. I had absolutely no warning or even a hint of a problem; no noises, no dash lights on, no issues with ignition, gears, or driving performance. I had to arrange the car tow to my dealer's service department. After that, the dealer reports engine is completely burned, not drivable and not repairable. The oil strip burns half way. They don't know what causes the engine overheated. This overheating problem is not due to the cracks that are included in the warranty extension. They don't cover the replacement cost. If we want to replace a engine, a used engine block is $5600. It looks like I will need to rent a car for at least next two weeks because I am still negotiating with my dealer about this issue and if it is covered by any warranty. They are unable to answer me what cause the issue when the car just finished its service and everything including engine condition is great. I could go on and on and on with the costs involved, time involved and the incredible inconvenience of this eventů.. not to mention the safety issue while driving on the high way!!!

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Mar 092015

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that all the windows failed to operate, excluding the driver side window. The contact also stated that the check engine warning light illuminated and the defrost stopped working. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be determined. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Bloomfield, NJ, USA

Apr 012015

Civic 4-cyl

While my family was driving on the interstate West to California, at 65mph, the engine power was completely lost. Upon pulling over I opened the hood after about 3-5 minutes to find coolant fluid all over the engine. I attempted to start vehicle but it only turned over without starting. We towed it to service center at colfax, ca to find out the next day that the engine has severe internal damage from leaking coolant fluid. The source was not located yet with no signs of radiator damage. The car has been towed 90 miles to reno, nv Honda dealership for further evaluation. After researching possible causes, I discovered a service bulletin (tsb 10-048) that addresses an engine crack leaking coolant and causing engine overheating. I have been advised that my Honda is not covered according to VIN inquiry and awaiting an appointment to look into cause. The engine dashboard gauges never indicated anything out of the ordinary to warn occupants of pending catastrophic engine failure.

- Sun Valley, NV, USA

Feb 162015

Civic 4-cyl

The serpentine belt tensioner bolt snapped causing the belt to slip onto the water pump pulley. The bolt had to be drilled out and the water pump pulley had to be replaced. There is a tsb out on this bolt but I believe it should be a recall because I believe it is a manufacture problem. It cost me $1,100.91 to have it fixed.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Dec 252014

Bolt that connected tensioner, to belt sheared off. Causing vehicle to malfunction. Car became not drivable. Might have caused injury at high speed, or loss of control. A common problem with the 2006 Honda Civic, according to internet complaints! design problem? one of the most prevalent problems reported.

- Palos Hills, IL, USA

Oct 092014

Civic 4-cyl

Another starter motor problem. Car won't start. Not the battery. There are hundreds of complaints with this generation of Honda Civics having cars not able to start up that's not a battery problem.

- Whitestone, NY, USA

Mar 192012

Civic 4-cyl

The tensioner bolt broke in half because it was the wrong bolt put in by Honda.. needs new engine and Honda refuses to do anything about it... only have 42000 miles on it...

- Washington, IL, USA

Mar 122012

Civic 4-cyl

I was driving down the road when the pivot bolt broke on our 2006 Honda Civic... took it to a reputable auto mechanic and they said there was a campaign on for my Honda Civic VIN number but when I had it towed up to Honda they claimed it wasn't for my Honda at all but for the 2007... well my Honda was one of the last ones made in 2006 and I think it had a 2007 motor put in... my car only has 42000 miles on it and it needs a new engine"????" which Honda refuses to fix... this wasn't anything I had done it is a manufacturing mistake and I think Honda should be responsible for it... I was fighting them but no attorney will take the case against Honda... I am a poor working man who can't afford to fix a car I paid 20000 dollars for a mistake that is Honda's fault.... please help!

- Washington, IL, USA

Aug 232014

Cracked engine block was discovered after coolent escaped and car overheated and stalled.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jun 302014

Civic 4-cyl

Know problem with 2006 Honda Civics that Honda failed to recall-- cracked engine block caused 2006 Civic ex coupe to overheat and break down in raleigh nc. Was stranded for 4 hours in a potentially dangerous part of town and had to have car towed. Honda extended the warranty on the block rather than recall it. Car is currently at the Honda dealer and says that the head is warped due to the overheating. I called Honda of America but they stated that they will not cover this expensive collateral damage of the warped head because they only extended the warranty on the block even though the faulty block caused the head damage. Honda representative on the phone implied that I had been negligent in some way, perhaps by ignoring a check engine light causing the damage. I bought the car new in 2006 and never had a check engine light until the moment the car broke down. Honda is acting irresponsibly with this issue.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 082014

I on a 2006 Honda Civic ex. Yesterday I came to a stop light and applied the brakes and as I did so the car stopped and then the engine began to race and roar. I applied the brakes harder as the car began to try to jump forward into the intersection the engine raced even more and the brakes were not holding the car back so I quickly put the car in park and turned off the engine. I waited about 30 seconds and then started the car again and kept my foot on the brake. The care engine was normal this time and the engine did not race so I drove home. The next day I took my car to the Honda dealership and they put it on the computer and did not find anything wrong, but when they did a visual check of the gas pedal, they found that the gas pedal had come loose from the floor mounting. They tighten this part and charged me for labor and the time on the computer (which came to $104.). they said there was a recall on this part for some of the 2006 Honda Civics, but that mine was not the right VIN number for this recall. When I look on you website it type in my VIN number and make and model, it says it is on recall and that they have a modification kit for the gas pedal that they send to the dealership to repair the car for free that is supposed to prevent this from happening again. I feel that they should have order the repair kit for my gas pedal and told me that they would service my car for free. My life or someone else's could have been at risk with this incident and possibly without this modification kit, it can happen again in the future. I would like to know how to get my car included in this recall and free installation of the modification kit as it should not be excluded since I obviously suffer the same risk as those other 2006 Honda Civics with the approved VIN numbers. I would also like a refund on the $104.

- Aberdeen, WA, USA

May 022014

Civic 4-cyl

Car began to overheat rapidly at highway speeds. Smoke and burning smell was coming from engine. Was able to pull over and have car towed to Honda dealership. Found all engine coolant had leaked out through crack in engine.

- Parrish, FL, USA

Apr 012014

Civic 4-cyl

I was driving about 50 mph when my car started slowing. No matter how hard I pushed the gas pedal it wouldn't drive over 30 mph. It then started smoking, so I pulled to the side of the road and called a tow truck. The repair shop said I had a cracked engine block and that the oil probably leaked completely out in a matter of minutes.

- Temple Terrace, FL, USA

Dec 202013

History from ODI # 10572660: 6-18-09 Honda dealership did Feb 2009 recall (replaced auto-tensioner pivot bolt & reroute belt) at 28,324 mi. 9-15-12 engine failed (48144 mi.) approaching stop intersection. Subsequently would not crank to start. Towed car to service station. 9-18-12 vehicle repaired -- due to broken pivot bolt, a new Honda recall belt kit, including new bolt, belt, belt tensioner assembly & water pump pulley had to be installed. Approximately 20,000 mi. After recall kit & new bolt was installed to prevent the pivot bolt from breaking, the bolt broke and stopped the car from functioning completely. Had I been in higher speed traffic the results may have been disastrous. ----------------------------------------------------------- 12-20-13 car died approaching intersection -- towed for service. Again pivot bolt had broken, causing cascade of events preventing car from functioning -- this time within only 7000 mi. After new belt tensioner recall kit & new pivot bolt was installed. When this occurs, the car is inoperative. This bolt has been replaced three times and broken twice. I am now afraid to drive car for fear of it ceasing to run at any time. Honda internet forums specifically for the 2006 Civic mention many similar occurrences.

- West Grove, PA, USA