2006 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Sep 162012

Civic 4-cyl

6-18-09 Honda dealership did Feb 2009 recall (replaced auto-tensioner pivot bolt & reroute belt) at 28,324 mi. 9-15-12 engine failed (48144 mi.) approaching stop intersection. Subsequently would not crank to start.towed car to service station. 9-18-12 vehicle repaired -- due to broken pivot bolt, a new Honda recall belt kit, including new bolt, belt, belt tensioner assembly & water pump pulley had to be installed. Approximately 20,000 mi. After recall kit & new bolt was installed to prevent the pivot bolt from breaking, the bolt broke and stopped the car from functioning completely. Had I been in higher speed traffic the results may have been disastrous.

- West Grove, PA, USA

Jan 042014

Civic 4-cyl

Was driving car up to states and vehicle started to cut out. Took to shop and car was diagnosed with blown head gasket. Could not get car to states (was in rosarito Mexico) so had head taken out and took it to states for valve and head job. Mechanic down here replaced and then said car has cracked block. Drove car up to states where independent certified shop said cracked block. Towed to pacific Honda and they diagnosed car with bad radiator and timing chain off by 4 teeth putting blame on work done in Mexico. My mechanic in Mexico was a certified mechanic in states before retiring. No independent shop will touch the car now because of cracked block but Honda will not admit to it. I don't know who to turn to now and I just bought the car a year ago. I have been without a car for one month. Honda does have an extended warranty for coolant seepage but state this is not my case.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 012014

Civic 4-cyl

I was driving 40 mph and noticed a weird sound coming out of engine and then smoke for the exhaust without and warning light on dash, I pull over and check there was no coolant, call the tow guy and tow the vehicle to dealer ship where the diagnose it as blown head gasket and repair bill of 1186,00 but next day called me and gave me the news that it is a crack in head and the estimate would be more than $4000. Contact Honda America and they said we are only responsible for crack in block as it is on recall but not crack in a head. I am a middle class man and cannot afford this sort of expense and neither Honda company not northwest Honda dealership standing behind their products and estimates and if don't authorize this repair still I owe the dealership $ 460 to tear down the vehicle.

- Reisterstown , MD, USA

Dec 242013

Lot of vibrations. Howling noise when in reverse. I checked under the hood and found the hydraulic motor mount leaked and should be replaced. I heard there's a lot of this kind of problem in the internet. I guess you guys need to look deeper into this problem to protect us consumers.

- Monterey Park , CA, USA

Jan 052014

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled as the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, who stated that the tensioner bolt was fractured and needed to be replaced. The tensioner bolt was replaced. The contact called the manufacturer and filed a complaint. The failure mileage was 118,000. Updated 01-29-14 updated 01/29/14..updated 03/18/14

- West Chester, PA, USA

Dec 022013

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle started to overheat. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the head gasket was blown and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 91,127.

- Gillette, WY, USA

Jul 312013

Civic 4-cyl

2006 Honda Civic. Consumer writes in regards to engine problems. The consumer stated while driving back from a trip, she heard a slight ticking noise and the vehicle would not accelerate and it gradually slowed down. She pulled over to the side of the road, where her husband lifted and tried to check the oil, but there wasn't mush left of the dipstick. The vehicle was towed to the nearest repair facility. A diagnosis revealed a dead engine. The cost of replacing the engine was near the value of the vehicle. So, she and her husband, decided not to have the vehicle fixed.

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Oct 012013

Civic 4-cyl

The engine block leaks coolant, the motor overheats to a degree that is audible, you can hear the steam escaping from the coolant container, the heat damages the thermostat and burns the gaskets and it becomes a self-destructing cycle because the motor is incapable of cooling itself without the thermostat and, the coolant. In some cases the crack in the block that leaks is apparent; in my case the crack is not visible or easy to see and the dealers technician is refusing to honor the recall that Honda has already in place for this particular model. The service manager explained to the consumer, that even though all the symptoms of the vehicle indicated that there was a cooling fluid evaporating, the motor was overheating, the heat was burning the gaskets and the thermostat, he had to rely on the technician diagnosis telling him that his particular motor was not cracked exactly where it was supposed to be. The hose to the radiator, gasket were replaced. However, the engine light illuminated. The dealer reset the light. Updated 10/31/13

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Aug 142013

Civic 4-cyl

I have had five times starting about five years when my car would try to accelerate without my foot on the accelerator. In all instances the engine was cold (within one or two minute of starting). In three cases I was backing out of my garage and had to press the brake hard to prevent the car from running away. The surge in acceleration lasts for only 2-3 seconds but its really scary!. the last occurrence was last month when I finished backing out of my garage and put the car in drive. As I released the brake, the car accelerated on its own. At 25 mph or so I pressed on the brake to slow down and when I released the brake, the acceleration stopped. It may have been a coincidence the acceleration stopped when I released the brake but it didn't seem so at the time. In all instances I looked for foreign objects near the accelerator pedal but none were there. This seems to happen about once a year.

- Richland, WA, USA

Sep 162013

Civic 4-cyl

When I was driving down the highway my 2006 Honda Civic vehicle started to make a loud screaming noise. And smoke started to come out of the hood of the vehicle; I tried to exit off the ramp but the vehicle started to turn off on me while I was attempting to exit the highway; due to the vehicel stalling I was almost hit by a vehicle behind me which would had resulted in a major crash. My vehicle is currently at a repair shop which it was revealed that my engine is cracked and that Honda has had many problems with Civic engines. I feel that Honda needs to fix this problem.

- Bristol, IN, USA

Jun 142013

Civic 4-cyl

While in heavy traffic on the highway during a traffic jam which was caused by an accident, the car broke down with no warning. There was a check engine light and nearly immediately the car stopped working entirely, so stranded for 3 hours on the highway waiting for a tow truck. Car towed to mechanic and was informed that the engine overheated - all the plastic pieces I.e. dipstick were melted, along with parts of the radiator - the filler cap was clearly melted. There was no indication there was any overheating occurring during the problem - again, a check engine light and then the car immediately stopped running on the highway. Later it was discovered there was a recall/tsb for this model Honda for the engine block cracking and overheating. There was no indication of overheating at any time and the vehicle did not allow even for nursing the car to the nearby exit. It is extremely fortunate the car was able to get to the side of the highway in heavy traffic - just barely, still in a precarious position. After the dealership "fixed" the engine, provided horrible customer service, and refused to fix anything the melted engine destroyed (radiator) the car has been in the shop (dealerships and otherwise) multiple times for other items "not covered" with the melted engine tsb so I will be reporting anticipated break-downs in horrible traffic with no warning here as needed.

- Elgin, SC, USA

Jul 092012

My 2006 Honda Civic has stalled on me 7 times now. Every time it stalls, I am at a stoplight or stop sign and at a complete stop. The engine goes into idle mode and when the light changes or I can go, I take my foot off the brake and try or start to press the gas. Most of the time I don't even have the opportunity to press the gas pedal before the car stalls. The car completely shuts off. I have noticed the last two times that the car's ac was on during the stalls. Before I restart the car there isn't an error code or anything displayed. I have taken my car to a Honda dealership to have it tested and each time they connect it to a computer and tell me that there isn't anything wrong or they can't produce the problem. There isn't a fuel problem because I put shell gas in my car each and every time and I checked the air filter. I even had a technician at pepboys check the battery. Pepboys said the battery was in excellent condition. I have researched the problem and others on the internet say that it could be the computer's idle speed may need to be readjusted and some say the idle air control valve is faulty. I mentioned the idle air control valve to the Honda technician and they said that doesn't seem to be a problem. There is a problem because others have reported it and the car stalls.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Jun 272013

Civic 4-cyl

Got into vehicle to start up, it would not crank, once it did crank speed would not exceed 25-30 mph, drove 2 mile to mechanic. Upon further investigation of problem the mechanic found 2 cracks in the engine block on the back side. He states that it had been leaking water and antifreeze for a while. He said he had not seen this type crack since he has been in business. He also stated that the crack was very odd because of where the cracks were. He commented that was a defect from factory. Nothing was done by Honda even though there were aware of issues with the engine in the 2006-2008 engines in the Honda Civic. Just sol with Honda. They comment that around 80,000-95,000 miles this was when this might happen. Car has 92,000 on it and has not been driven hard.

- Brent, AL, USA

Jun 262013

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the vehicle exhibited an abnormal clunking noise. The contact had a mechanic inspect the vehicle the failure was located at the engine water pump pulley. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 90,000.

- Haslet , TX, USA

Jun 102013

Civic 4-cyl

My daughter's car was parked in the car and when she left to go to work noticed a huge pool of greenish fluid on the floor. Her father advised her to take the car immediately up to our mechanic (less than 3 miles away) where he advised her that she had a cracked engine block and after a little research told her that there was a service bulletin (08-044) and warranty extension bulletin (10-048) from Honda advising of this issue for all 2006-2008 Honda Civics. She had her vehicle towed down to a Honda dealership and was advised that she would be totally responsible for all repairs. American Honda is aware of this issue and acknowledges all of the service bulletins but states that they don't have to do anything about it since it was not under a recall. All of the technical bulletins point to the fact that they knew that all 2006-2008 Honda Civics were potentially at risk due to a manufacturing defect. Just hoping that someone can help with this issue.

- Cashmere, WA, USA

May 062013

Civic 4-cyl

The Honda Civic suddenly overheated. After letting the engine cool and adding coolant, the car overheated again about ten days later. Our mechanic discovered four tiny cracks in the block. An internet search revealed Honda Civics 2006-2008 have a known manufacturing defect which causes the cracks. Honda has issued tsb 08-044 to extend the warranty on the engine up to eight years. However, if the car has a rebuilt title, Honda will do nothing to remedy the known manufacturing defect. My wife has been left stranded twice by an overheated vehicle. If the car overheats in traffic, there could be a fire or collision.while Honda acknowledges the defect, they have refused to recall the car. Having appealed three times to Honda for help, I now appeal to the NHTSA for help.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

May 242013

Civic 4-cyl

My car starting leaking coolant antifreeze on friday24 May.2013 I took it to pepboys on May 27th 2013, they told me the engine head was crack. I will take it to maroone on May 28, 2013.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

May 092013

Civic 4-cyl

I purchased a car for a dealer that has a rebuilt title due to the fact it was in accident where the air bag was deployed. So I bought the car anyway because I at the time strongly believed in the reliability of any and all Honda Motors. A month after I bought the car it started to over head due to the common issue with all 2006-2009 Honda Civics of the block cracking. I called Honda to see if they would cover it but they would not because the warranty is void due to the rebuilt title. I believe that this issue of the engine block cracking should not be a warranty issue and should be a recall. This is a major issue that Honda should take full responsibility for and fix any and all cars that are have the issue with the R16 block cracking. Honda being so well known for the reliability it is a shame disappointment that they refuse to list this issue as a recall in stead of warranty extension. Even for the cars that have the warranty extension there is no way to tell when this issue will occur so why would you but a 8 year limit on the warranty. I have only bought Honda cars since I was able to and no I feel I may never buy and Honda again or brag about its reliability. I full expected better from this company and now because I am a college student who has putt all my money and savings to buy this car because it was a Honda... I can no longer afford repairs because it is such a costly issue having to replace an entire motor is like having to pretty much buy a new car all over again. The car over heats and I am forced to stop were ever I am at to wait for the car to cool before I can add water which will only leak out minutes later due to the cracked engine block.

- Ocala , FL, USA

May 062013

Civic 4-cyl Diesel

I own a 2006 Honda Civic LX and the engine block has cracked. Apparently, this is a known issue for these cars, but Honda will not fix mine, under the warranty, since my title is rebuilt. So, if you own a 2006/2007/2008 Honda, check to make sure it does not have this known issue. If it does, and it's under warranty, take it to your local dealer to get it repaired for free, before their extended warranty, that they've created, runs out. Be safe! as if this has not happened to your car, I've read stories where the engine cracked while someone was driving down the interstate at 80mph and all of a sudden his engine caught fire. I was so proud when I bought my Honda, even if it was a rebuilt title, because I knew the damage the car received was nothing too strenuous. Only damage to front passenger side, that was fixed. No damage to frame or motor, so I bought it. If only I'd investigated further. But I was in love with this car. Now, two years after buying it, it's a piece of crap! and, the dealership I took it to told me that since they couldn't fix for free, they recommended I don't get it fixed, and then tried to buy the car from me for a measly $1000 and then tried to sell me a used car for $16K... I told them how I felt like I was at a funeral home and they were working off of my grief and pain, and trying to sell me the most expensive casket.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

May 082013

Civic 4-cyl

The vehicle suddenly lost engine coolant as a result of a crack in the engine block. It quickly overheated, and the only warning was that the temperature gauge had risen. There were no other warning signs. A mechanic confirmed that the block was cracked, and that almost all the coolant had leaked out. I believe that the engine could have reached a temperature that could have started a fire if I had not noticed the temperature gauge rising rapidly.

- Burlington, KY, USA