2006 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Dec 142016

Civic

I was recently informed by a Honda repair shop that my 2006 Honda Civic had a cracked engine block. The serviceman recommended that I contact Honda usa regarding a technical service bulletin that was issued. I contact Honda and they acknowledged that this was a problem with this vehicle, however they cannot pay for the repair because the extended warranty expired. I explained that I brought the car used would not have known that there was such a serious issue with the car unless I needed a repair at a dealership. I have spoken to two representatives so far and received the same "standard" answer. "we acknowledge there is a problem of this type with the car and that's why we issued the extended warranty." I explained that this is obviously a wide spread issue with the vehicle and Honda should stand behind it's product by paying 100% of the repair cost with no time or mileage limit. As an owner of two Acura and a Honda, I am extremely disappointed with my experience with their approach to consumer complaints regarding this car. This defect is not the customers fault. I am continuing to pursue a resolution that ends with Honda taking full responsibility for the defect in these cars. I pray that someone does not get seriously hurt before Honda finally makes this right or NHTSA forces them to issue a full recall. I now have the vehicle sitting in my driveway and cannot drive it because of the many testimonials that describe that doing so will result in a catastrophic engine failure that will result in a total engine replacement. As an Acura and Honda owner, I am becoming more and more skeptical about Honda as a company that I had always regarded as very good in the past.

- Easton, MD, USA

Dec 162016

Civic

The car has a cracked engine block and is leaking coolant. Per research Honda is aware that this is an issue for 2006 - 2009 Honda Civics and extended the warranty for 10 years on the motor. The original owner purchased the car in May 2006 and my daughter bought it from a dealership in December 2013. We were not made aware of an extended warranty on the motor or that this could be an issue. Honda was contacted and they are refusing to assist my daughter with replacement of a motor that will now cost her $5000 on a car she still owes on.

- Watsontown, PA, USA

Dec 092016

Civic

Takata recall. I was at a stop light when I noticed that my car was running extremely hot. Smoke was coming out from under the hood, and it had run out of coolant. We then found out that it was leaking coolant from a crack in the engine block which is a known issue with Honda Civics from 2006-2009. When we contacted Honda they told me that the recall had been expired since may of 2016 and there is nothing they can do to help me. This crack in my block is due to Honda's negligence in manufacturing process of their engine blocks, yet they refuse to take responsibility. The car has had no other issues and has been properly maintained.

- Madison, AL, USA

Dec 162016

Civic

I started my vehicle during the night and cold weather drove my car less than five minutes when the inside started smelling like anti coolant. I pulled over to check fluid and noticed the block had a crack in it I have noticed there is a problem in this model of car but it's for ten years of purchase and I never got a letter stating I could get this check earlier I need help

- Menlo Park, CA, USA

Dec 022016

Civic

The engine block started leaking coolant that caused overheating and damage to the engine.I discovered it while driving.

- Ridgewood, NJ, USA

Nov 042016

Civic

Car overheated very quickly while driving 60 mph in the fast lane resulting in a plume of blinding white smoke coming from the hood. This was a very scary and life threatening experience as I barely got the car to the shoulder with other cars wizing past me at speed. Had the car looked at by a mechanic friend who traced the leak to a crack in the engine block. He said this was not repairable and would need a new engine block. The crack is located in the front of the engine, behind the exhaust header pipe and difficult to see. It is however in the same area as all of the other reported complaints from other Civic owners on the web. After some research on the internet I found out that this was a very common and widespread issue with the 2006-2009 Civics. I contacted Honda corporate and was told that there was an extended warranty because of this issue. Funny how I never received any notices whatsoever and did not have the slightest clue that this was an issue for the past 10 years of ownership. Needless to say I am one year past the extended warranty and Honda will cover nothing at all. Car has 63,000 miles and is otherwise in mint condition. Asked Honda to prove that they sent out the notice to me and they have yet to respond. Had I received any notification of this issue I would have most likely traded the car. Now I am stuck with an inoperable car and an $8,900 repair (quoted by Honda dealership). Totally left in the dark, but happy to be alive. This is a widespread issue all over the internet just google Honda Civic cracked engine block and hundreds maybe thousands of complaints will pop up. How this very dangerous issue is not a recall is beyond me. I guess someone will have to die before it is. Sad.

- Garfield, NJ, USA

Nov 162016

Civic

The vehicle is has a defect in the engine where the lower engine block corrodes, leaks coolant, and then as a result overheats. This defect has been admitted to by Honda and they have issued tsb 08-044. This happened to me and as a result I was stranded without a working vehicle on the side of the road. I contacted Honda regarding this and was told my car is 2.5 months outside the warranty. I was offered an insignificant amount of assistance with the cost of the repair. I understand the warranty is expired, but I firmly believe that Honda should take responsibility for their mistakes, which they have refused to do.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Nov 222016

Civic

At about 110,000 miles on my 2006 Civic, the engine block developed a crack. Honda is aware of this problem and extended warranties for this issue, but failed to contact us (my wife is the original owner). We are now just outside of the extended warranty and the cost to repair was quoted as about $5,000. Honda should cover this cost due to their knowledge of a faulty product but it appears we are in the hook for the cost (likely will result in our need to buy a new vehicle).

- Eagan, MN, USA

Nov 132016

Civic

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. While driving approximately 45 mph, a loud pop was heard and smoke appeared from the vehicle. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact had to maneuver the vehicle to the side of the road to a complete stop. The vehicle was towed to the nearest dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine block was cracked. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact also stated that the vehicle was purchased with an extended warranty. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Nov 022016

Civic

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. While the vehicle was at the dealer for an oil change, the technician attempted to drive the vehicle into the garage, but the engine failed to start without warning. The technician diagnosed that the engine coolant leaked onto the engine and caused it to shut down. The technician stated that the failure was not included in a recall. The contact found a tsb and made the manufacturer aware of the failure and a warranty extension that was noted on the tsb. The manufacturer stated that the extended warranty was expired. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 210,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Oct 142016

Civic 4-cyl

While doing general maintenance on my 2006 Honda Civic (stationary) I noticed it was leaking coolant. After working on the car to find the leak and doing research online I found out that there is a known manufacture defect for 2006-2009 Honda Civics that causes a failure and crack in the engine block. There is a 10 year warranty extension, which I am beyond by 5 months so Honda has refused to fix the vehicle under warranty. As an owner of two Honda vehicles I am severely disappointed, especially since I was never notified of this by mail or otherwise by Honda. I have received information from them regarding other issues on my 2011 Accord, but never about the 2006 Civic. If I had I may have been able to identify this problem within the warranty period as a small leak before it began dumping/pouring coolant. Luckily, this never led to severe engine damage due to overheating while driving, which could have caused serious risk of accident and injury. In addition, Honda was exceptionally rude and unhelpful on the phone. After days of going back and forth with them they finally gave me a claim number for the issue. Once denying it they told me that I could call their claims department, which I already believed I was speaking to. To my surprise the number they game me was for the court system that had ruled on this case for Honda. So, after wasting my time with them they felt it was appropriate to play what amounted to a practical joke on me. The worst joke of all is that they have failed me as a customer in all possible ways. I fully believe that this issue should be made a complete recall, as it is a known manufacturer defect and no fault of any customer who owns one of these vehicles.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

May 202016

Civic 4-cyl

While traveling down the road at 65mph, my 2006 Honda Civic experienced an unexpected overheating incident. While surrounded by heavy rush hour traffic, I just barely made it to the side of the expressway safely. It turns out that the 2006 Honda Civic has a known manufacturer flaw that results in cracked engine blocks and consequent loss of coolant. Since the crack was on the inside, I had no way to tell that I was driving with such risk. There were no liquid drips under my vehicle. Honda will years ownership. My vehicle was 10 years and 2 months. The original warranty they offered was for 10 years, unrestricted mileage. My vehicle is a lower then average mileage vehicle so my 10 years was slightly exceeded. This is a real safety issue and a formal recall should be offered or time and/or mileage be granted to ensure that owners can have their vehicles inspected and repaired. Had I not been lucky enough to get out of traffic, I could have caused a huge accident that could result in the loss of my life or other vehicle operators who were trying to avoid me. Please investigate this and any help you can offer would be extremely helpful.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Oct 212016

Civic

Bought a 2006 Honda Civic with 54,000 miles in August of 2016. On a 6 hr trip to omaha Nebraska the engine began to overheat. Pulled into a gas station and discovered that the coolant was nearly empty. When the car was taken to a Honda dealer I was informed that the engine block was cracked and leaking coolant. It would have been replaced by Honda but the extended 10 year warranty had expired by 7 months. Currently on the hook for $5200 because of Honda's known defective part

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Oct 192016

Civic

I have 2006 Honda Civic that I bought back in 2012 with 93K miles on it and now in 2016 I had my engine block leak and so I took it to Honda dealer so they can check it and told me I had a crack on my engine and they said that handa sent a letter witch I never got and that my warranty is expire and they can't do any thing about I've never had problems with my car I always keep clean and make sure I do my maintenance on it I have no accidents also way I know I had a problem is by the car over heating and the smoke coming out while I was in highway with my family yet Honda doesn't want to anything what about if we got hurt while waiting for some to come and tow my car away and for some to pick us to take us home now I have now car and nothing to drive I hope everyone speaks up for everyone.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Oct 212016

Civic

Recall Honda won't honor warranty 10-048 only because on my tittle it states that the millege is not actual. Which was a mistake by the dmv. Not actual mileage my engine is seized due to the car over heating.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 072016

Civic

Cracked engine block. Leakiging coolent.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Oct 062016

Civic

Engine block cracked at 10-years, 4-months. Honda warranted the engines originally for 5-years then extended block warranty to 8-years and finally to 10-years. The blocks have a major defect where the block cracks because the block wall is too thin on these aluminum blocks and mine was no different. My block failure came 4-months out of second extended warranty period. Honda says they will not honor warranty because the car is 4-months out of warranty. Called the local Honda dealer and Honda customer relations numbers to no avail. This problem is a defect and Honda has admitted to it that's why they provided warranties for this problem. Since my car is 10-years old and is 4-months out of the extended warranty for this covered repair, I am stuck paying to get my car on the road again at the tune of $5000 - $6000 at least. Very disappointed in Honda for their stance on this issue with me. It's basically my bad that the engine block cracked at 10-years, 4-months instead of within the 10-years stated on the warranty. I didn't even receive a letter explaining the warranties or extended warranties. I think Honda should step up and cover this repair especially since the problem is their fault in their manufacturing of the blocks in the first place.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Sep 162016

Civic

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the engine overheated while driving. The vehicle was taken to the local dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine block fractured due to defective material, which caused water to penetrate the engine cylinders. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 270,000. Updated 12/13/16

- Cloverdale, CA, USA

Sep 272016

Civic

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. While driving approximately 50 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the coolant system was leaking and the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 13,234.

- Albany, CA, USA

Sep 282016

Civic

I was driving on I-40 traveling towards wilminton, nc when I looked down and saw the temperature light was registering hot and was in the red zone. I immediately pulled over and turned the car off. I had the car towed to wilminton, nc. The shop diagnosed the problem as a cracked engine block. They called Honda to see if the car was covered under tsb 10-048 and they were told the 10 year warranty on my car expired in July. The car has only 66,000 miles on it. This is a huge safety issue. This defect can cause the car to stop running anywhere. If this had happened in raleigh on I-40 there could have been a serious accident.

- Pittsboro, NC, USA