2006 Honda Civic seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Mar 072015

Civic

There is a malfunction in the air bag sensor that the dealership told me could cause the airbags to deploy at anytime or even not go off during an accident. But apparently the repair is not covered.

- Washington, DC, USA

Dec 052007

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, the vehicle veered to the left without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into a tree and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a fractured ankle, a fractured nose and ribs, and a brain injury that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 18,000. Updated 2/11/15 updated 10/2/2015

- Massapequa Park, NY, USA

Dec 102014

Civic

Honda part#: 77900-sna-A01 (methode) -or- 77900-sna-A02 (furukawa) reel assy, cable. With the failure of this part, vehicle cruise control, radio controls and SRS air bags failed. The cable reel assembly is the component that makes the electrical connection between the function buttons and air bag on the steering wheel to the non-rotating steering column. The ribbon cable inside this mechanism was completely severed on the vehicle.

- Gahanna , OH, USA

Sep 192014

Civic

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. While driving over a curb, the seat belt warning indicator illuminated and the seat belt failed to retract. The dealer stated that all the air bags were disabled. The vehicle was repaired, but the air bag indicator illuminated intermittently. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000.

- Culver City, CA, USA

Sep 242014

Civic 4-cyl

The airbag warning light in my 2006 Honda Civic ex has been illuminating intermittently for several months. It started by illuminating perhaps 5% of the times I was driving, but now it illuminates perhaps 50% of the time. I have been in no accidents. When I brought the car to Honda on 9-24 they could find nothing wrong. I brought it back again on 9-26 and they at first suspected a short in the wires, and said no hard codes were stored. After a more work Honda reported that the driver's side front airbag needed replacement. It seems to me that a passive element like this should not fail after only 8 to 9 years. Isn't this a defect?

- Aurora, CO, USA

Sep 242014

Civic

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. While making a right turn at 15 mph, both the driver and passenger side air bags deployed without warning and the vehicle filled with smoke. As a result, the windshield cracked. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Madison Heights, MI, USA

Apr 302014

Civic 4-cyl

Returning home, I struck a parked vehicle in the roadway with substantial damage to my passenger front, suspension & fender. The air bag control module was even broken but no passenger air bag deployment. Very fortunate that no one was in the passenger seat. Serious safety concern & I need to know how this could have happened.!....updated 07/31/14

- Greenville, SC, USA

Apr 282014

Civic 4-cyl

Lost control of vehicle trying to avoid an object on the highway. My vehicle hit the railing on the interstate and the air bags did not deploy. My vehicle was declared a complete lost as other damage to the frame occurred, and the drivers side front wheel came off.

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

May 282014

Civic 4-cyl

Last evening 5/28/2014 at 10:10 pm my wife and I were running an errand when a driver from another vehicle pulled blindly across 2 lanes of traffic in front of us. Due to the fact a semi tractor trailer combination was in the left hand lane, stopped, I was unable to see any vehicle in the suicide lane until he was in my lane of travel. We were driving at approx 35 mph when the collision occurred. My 2006 Honda Civic coupe hit a late 2000's Jeep Wrangler. Impact area was to the right front of my vehicle and the right rear wheel area of the other vehicle. The seat belts worked as designed, but neither airbag went off. I have pictures of the car and the lateral accelerometer on the right front is hanging. This system was fully operational, and had no codes stored in the SDM nor any lights on the dash. The impact was less than 6 inches from the sensor. My query is to why the bags did not deploy. Speed should have been great enough to cause deployment, as well as the area of impact.

- Sidney, OH, USA

May 222014

Civic 4-cyl

I recently just rear ended someone on the freeway who came to a very sudden stop in front of me and I was unable to stop in time. My car has $5,500 worth damages all in the front end (and is no longer drivable) from how hard the impact was, for the car I hit had a steel ramp on the back of it. My airbag did not go off and I now have a sprained neck, shoulder, and nerve damage shooting down my left arm. My seatbelt does not retract anymore it must have locked and every single person even my damage adjuster does not understand why my airbag didn't go off, for it should have!

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Mar 162014

Civic 4-cyl

6/2013 car accident I hit a parked car traveling at approximately 20-25 miles per hour. The airbags did not deploy. The company chosen to do the work (custom innovations in eugene, Oregon) did not repair the motor mounts. Which im very upset about and trying to deal with. After having the work done the car was taken to Honda (kendall Honda also in eugene, Oregon) to have an assessment of my car diagnosed. The was the motor mount issue and other items oil change, transmission flush and the SRS light was on. Honda service dept. Could not diagnose the SRS and said they would get back to me. They never did. Approx 1mo. Diagnosis at Honda, I was sitting in a park parking lot charging my phone in the car with it in the accessory position. I had been there about 10 minutes when all of a sudden the drivers side airbag in the seat and the rear drivers side curtain air bag deployed. Scared the crap out of me and my dog. I suffered minor cuts, abrasions and severe bruising to my left elbow and tricep. I immediately went to Honda. It was a Sunday so only the sales team was there. I went again on Monday only to be sent away, with a we will call you.....very dismissive and vague. Then after calling 5-6 times they finally scheduled an appointment to look into it. Afterwards, they didn't have much to tell me except that it would cost me thousands of dollars to repair and no they didn't have an answer for why the airbags went off. Essentially I feel that the airbags should be replaced free of charge in addition to the SRS sensors all being replaced because I have a feeling this was all due to the recall on the passenger seat occupant detection system.....which I did not know about nor have it checked prior to any of the mentions events. I am very concerned that there is a chance the other airbags may deploy at random. I also would like my car to have all the recalls completed.

- Harrisburg, OR, USA

Mar 282008

Civic 4-cyl

My vehicle was rear ended at a dead stop by another vehicle and then my vehicle hit the vehicle in front of my vehicle but the airbags did not deploy. Only the driver was in my vehicle. Other vehicles in the incident had their airbags deploy.

- Nyack, NY, USA

Sep 112013

Civic

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic LX. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated as the engine began to operate roughly. The vehicle also began shaking violently. The contact then hastily exited the vehicle and failed to secure the vehicle in park. As a result, the vehicle began to roll downhill and crashed into an embankment. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was removed from the embankment by a tow truck and taken to a local mechanic where the contact was advised that the air bag module had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was not available.

- Goldbar, WA, USA

Jul 242013

Civic

The contact owns a Honda Civic. The contact stated that an explosive sound came from the seat belt. The contact was no longer able to utilize the seat belt and took the vehicle to a dealer where nd it was determined that the seat belt tensioner failed. As a result, the air bag was no longer operable. The dealer explained that the air bag and seat belts were connected. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 100,000.

- Gold Bar, WA, USA

Jun 182013

Civic 4-cyl

I was in a front-end accident. Air bags failed to deploy, causing injury. Vehicle was totaled.

- Tomball, TX, USA

May 012013

Civic 4-cyl

Around may of 2013, I was driving to work when the SRS side airbag light came on. That same day, I drove to a Honda dealership, the servide department of which told me that all they could do was reset the light because they could not read the code. The service guy then told me that in the event the light comes back on, then I would need to replace the airbags. During that time, the light would come on and off. When off, the light would come on whenever I drove over an uneven terrain. I went to yet another dealership who could not tell me anything substantial about the problem because the light was off when I brought the car in. Around mid-June, the SRS light started coming and staying on. I called Honda this morning to see if there was any recall and was told that there was no recall related to this issue and that I cannot be helped. I am taking my car in again to see what the problem is, so that at least I can pinpoint the issue. This is a safety issue in that it appears that with this light on, my airbag system is disabled. In the event I get into an accident, I will not be protected. This is essentially disturbing because my airbags have never deployed since I bought the car brand new. I do not understand why I have to pay for a faulty airbag system that has really never been put to use. I really hope that Honda find a solution to this problem.

- Burtonsville , MD, USA

Apr 102012

Civic 4-cyl

The SRS light will come on, stay on for days, and then randomly go off only to come back on randomly and stay for days. The dealership told me there is a faulty wire which grounds out the SRS system which cuts all power to seatbelt tensioners and airbags.

- Mariposa, CA, USA

Feb 192013

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while in neutral, the front passenger, passenger side curtain and passenger rear curtain air bags deployed without warning. The contact was not involved in a crash. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was determined that the air bags needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 90,000. Updated 03/27/13

- Chicopee, MA, USA

Feb 192013

Civic

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that another vehicle crashed into the driver's side of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy and the driver sustained injuries to the sternum and cartilage. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the air bag failure. The failure mileage was 152,000.

- Tuscumbia, AL, USA

Jun 022012

Civic

My passenger door was closed at a gas station and my passenger side curtain air bag deployed. There is no damage physically except for the air bags.

- Westbrook, ME, USA