2006 Honda Civic steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 262008

Civic

Power steering loss. My 2006 Honda Civic hybrid lost power steering on 3 different occasions in the past 2 months. 1st time I was driving and all of sudden had great difficulty steering the car to make a turn on to a side street. I was only 2 blocks from my house so I drove the car back. The power steering light was on as soon as the incident happen. The driver's manual recommended to turn off the car and turn it on again to readjust. It did. Two weeks later the same situation happened. I work 3 miles from my home. After driving the car normally in the morning, the car had no steering power when the time came to go home. I took the car to the dealership the net morning but the light was off, the steering was back and the dealer could not find what was wrong.

- Ridgewood, NJ, USA

Jun 112008

Civic

To whom it may concern: The purpose of this letter is to complain about the treatment I received from Honda of America. I was in a minor accident on June 11 2008. The accident was caused by the tie rod breaking on my 2006 Honda Civic as I was driving on a city street at 25 miles per hour. The mechanical failure caused my car to veer into 2 parked cars causing minor damage to each. The attending officer stated that the accident was obviously the result of a mechanical failure and did not issue any tickets. The body shop owner also agreed that a mechanical failure caused the accident. This prompted me to inform Honda of America of the accident caused by the broken tie rod. Honda's response was you will be contacted in 2 to 3 weeks. In the mean time the car was not fixed as everything was on hold waiting for Honda's response. In fact the car was not fixed until 7/24/08, 43 days later. Contact was made by christian K. skjervold of M.a. jordan co. Inc. Located in minneapolis mn. Mr. Skjervold visit was very unpleasant. His only objective was to badger me into admitting that I had somehow broken the tie rod myself. I am 81 years old and drive quite conservatively. He suggested repeatedly that perhaps I had been driving recklessly and damaged the car before hand. He informed me that he would be in contact in 2 weeks. I heard nothing until I contacted him in late September. A week later I received a letter from Honda stating that based on their investigation the tie rod had broken as a result of the accident contradicting all of the available information. The letter goes on to state that tie rod was not broken but was bent in the middle. This is pure fabrication and I have all of the broken parts in my garage to prove it. If this is the way Honda handles this type of problem I will assume you have a file on them already. Please add this to your data base. Any suggestions on how to follow up with Honda would also be appreciated.

- Rhinelander, WI, USA

Sep 032008

Civic

On Wednesday, September 3, 2008, I began my drive to work and all of a sudden the steering wheel locked on me (no movement whatsoever) while I was driving 35 mph! luckily, I was on a side street and able to stop the car even though I could not turn the steering wheel. I was about to turn onto a highway! my car is a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid. The car was towed to a Honda dealer who informed me that the electrical system for the steering wheel needed to be replaced and that they would have to order the part. What scares me is the thought of what would have happened if I was on the highway and my steering wheel locked while traveling at a high speed. To me, this situation has the potential of being on par with the danger and fatalities incurred by owners of Ford Explorer some years ago (e.g., tires). I think it would be very important to see if other owners of 2006 Honda Civic hybrids had similar problems with their steering wheels locking up while driving and whether there have been major fatalities/accidents as a result. If there is a problem, them Honda should issue a major recall to fix the problem.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Sep 072007

Civic

On Sept 7, 2007. I complain to Honda dealership in carson, about a roaring sound on my real wheels. Aside from that there was uneven wear on both inner side of the tires. The sound was like a bearing failure. They told me that I need an alignment. So I paid for it. Plus I have to buy new tires. Then today 9-2-08. It happened again with the same issues. I was told they wound not cover since it was out of warranty. My car 55,000 however on February of this year 2008. There is a service bulletin regarding this issue. With the same symptoms on 2006 and 07 Honda Civic LX and ex not si. So tried to argue about the service bulletin both Honda dealership and Honda Motors North America. They are giving me a run around and wont pay me for my tires and alignment cost. But they will fix the problem which is replacing flange and upper control arm as stated in service bulletin. I request your kind office and recommend a recall on this issues of alignment because they said its just a service bulletin and not a recall. So its not mandatory. So they wont pay for my third tire and alignment. And the can get off the hook. This is a safety issue because not all people recognize this and still drive their cars unit the tread comes out and the whole car shakes when they are bad and wobble the front steering.I'm a mechanic for (yrs never have a hard time getting issues straighten out.

- Placentia, CA, USA

Apr 272008

Civic 4-cyl

Steering locks up from time to time. It has happened 2 times. Approx. 12 months ago & then again 4-27-2008. Comes and goes. Concerned it will cause a crash. I check on Honda websight and no recalls. Phone interview update (Sept. 8, 2008): Mr. Bitker said that he did not notice anything unusual prior to the steering locking up. The steering lockup lasted about 2 to 3 seconds each time during which he could not turn the steering wheel. Once it occurred at highway speed. The engine was still running when the steering lockup had occurred. The dealer did not find any fault code stored in the vehicle computer and could not tell Mr. Bitker what was wrong.

- Mason City, IA, USA

Nov 262006

Civic

On my way to work, after normal driving for 2 miles, the vehicle lost it's power steering. I was just entering the freeway, so I got off on the next exit and took it directly to the dealership. One of the idiot lights on the panel would intermittently flash for a split second but would not remain on. The dealership was only a mile away. I parked the vehicle and waited for my turn. I turned the vehicle back on to move it forward and voila, the steering problem was gone. I explained to the tech all that had transpired. He turned the ignition and pointed to an idiot light and asked me if that was the one I had seen. I said yes because it looked very much like it. I left the car there for their testing. They called me later that afternoon and said they could find nothing wrong and also there were no error codes that registered. They told me to bring it back if it happened again.

- Fresno, CA, USA