2006 Honda Civic suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Mar 052012

I have replaced 2 sets of tires over the past 2 years due to "alignment" issues, yet no mechanics have been able to see any issue. I've now been told this last set of tires is cupping and they are making huge noises while driving - I bought them in August last year. My car shakes and rattles when I drive it. I found Honda bulletin concerning this issue online - was never mailed to me - and find it ridiculous that I'd be expected to pay for manufacturing defect. This should be a recall, not a bulletin.

- Newport, NC, USA

Mar 262012

Civic 4-cyl

Uneven tire wear and vibrations when traveling on highway. Honda had a recall to repair control arm. Had repair done 6 years ago. It was a factory/manufacturing problem. It is happening again. Called dealer who said Honda only honors one repair. Any subsequent repairs are at my expense. Dealer will not do permanent fix. Tires wear unevenly due to problem. Have bought several tires. Have had premature brake wear and strut replacement due to manufacturing issues. Also, catalytic converter now going out prematurely. Nothing covered by Honda. Many complaints on the internet. Class action lawsuit forming. Why does Honda not stand behind its product and permanently repair manufacturing defects/problems?

- Pacoima, CA, USA

Mar 302013

Civic 4-cyl

Daughter has been off at college, she advised the rear end was making noises. I had her go and get new tires a couple of times. She advised the rear is roaring and shaking. She came home and I drove the car. I will not let her drive this car again it is very unsafe, I could only imagine what would happen in the rain. The tires are worn uneven on the inside of the rear tires. I did research and found Honda has know about this problem and even has a fix out to the dealers, we have never been notified. I now have a daughter who is in fear for her life to drive this car. If found Honda service bulletin 08-001 addressing this issue, over veh is way out of warranty, and it says its owners expense. Cannot afford something like this she is in college.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Jan 282013

Civic 4-cyl

Rear tires wearing very rapidly/poor handling over bumps due to factory defect of rear upper control arms. This causes camber to not be adjusted properly without replacing arms. Honda not willing to stand behind their mistake if vehicle is out of warranty. This can become dangerous because tires at first glance (without being underneath the car) will look like they have plenty of life left but on the inner edge the steel cords may be showing. Also with taking a bump as your turning at highway speeds this can cause you to lose control.

- Gardener, NY, USA

Jan 122012

Civic 4-cyl

The rear tires wear badly to the point of the tires cupping and wearing unevenly. This process is horrible and dangerous as it will eventually shake the car and lock the seat belt while driving on the highway. A person also loses the ability to steer effectively due to the bumpiness from the tires. When I took my vehicle in to get new tires (due to problems stated above), they said that the inside of my tires were on the verge of blowing out, yet I still had tread on the outer side of my tire. Based on this, I was more at risk to have a blow-out at any time and would have had no inclination because my tires still looked new ? until my vehicle was up on a lift. Since then, I have only had my new tires for 25,000 miles (rotated every 5,000 miles) and my mechanic is now refusing to rotate them based on the uneven wear and "dangerous driving conditions" that could result if they rotated them (their liability). The inside of the tires are already bald while there is more than half the tread of the outer side of the tire. Based on tbs 08-001 this is a known issue with the 06-07 vehicles, yet Honda has yet to recall their faulty factory parts.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA

Oct 312012

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the rear upper control arm caused the tires to couple. The failure was caused by normal wear and tear when driving the vehicle in cold weather. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who inspected the failure and advised that there was no recall for the failure. The contact was advised that the upper control arm would require replacing. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 101,000.

- Fargo, ND, USA

Jul 312007

Civic 4-cyl

Multiple sets of tires replaced due to premature tire wear on rear tires. Honda tsb 08-001 recognizes geometry issue of negative camber on the vehicle. This is a safety concern for me as I didn't know the tires were wearing prematurely until I had the tires inspected. The handling is affected due to a roaring or thumping vibration coming from the rear of the vehicle. New tires wear in less than 10,000 miles causing undue burden on the consumers part to replace the tires in order to maintain the safety of the vehicle. Honda will not repair the vehicle as it is out of warranty and repairs must be covered by the consumer.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Oct 092012

Both upper rear control arms on this vehicle are faulty. They cause the tires to ride on an angle causing excessive ware on the tires.

- St, Petersburg , FL, USA

Sep 072012

Civic 4-cyl

Upon inspection, my mechanic noticed severe wear on rear tires creating a safety hazard, the tires had less than 20,000 miles, mechanic advised rear end alignment due to defective camber parts. Results of research has concluded that Honda is well aware of problem due to high number of complaints and have yet rectified this. I suggest a recall with free replacement of part(s) to correct this situation.

- Mount Vernon, ME, USA

Feb 012011

Civic 4-cyl

Have had all services performed at regular intervals. Had noticed a growling/humming/harmonic howl while driving at highway speeds. Had my mechanic (non-Honda) check out front end, had transaxle serviced, new tires balanced, etc. Said cv joints, bearings, everything checked out & must be "noisy" tires. After several months noise seems to get worse & didn't want to replace brand new tires. Scheduled another appointment where mechanic found that rear axle is cambered in causing uneven tire wear and (now) really loud howl (can't carry on a conversation in back seat).. also notice some "sway" at times. My mechanic stated a "repair kit" to fix the control arm issue would cost about $750 installed but was difficult to get. I then started internet research & found that this is a very widespread problem (sb 08-001), has been known for a long time but no owner notification. I am in the process of contacting my Honda dealer that sold me the car, but don't expect much of a response since no recall has (yet) been issued. I consider the vehicle dangerous at this point and will have to use an alternate vehicle for a necessary trip out of town.

- Minden, NV, USA

Feb 012012

The rear camber arms on the car are set to very negative causing the car tires to wear rapidly and unevenly. Honda has issued a tsb, but no recall on the parts. They will not pay to fix the problem that is a design flaw in the camber arms. Tires at most will only get 40,000 miles on them and that causes undo expense to the car owner.

- Rice Lake, WI, USA

Sep 092009

Civic 4-cyl

Back tires keep needing to be replaced...2 times already in past 2 years!! uneven wearing on tires.. I have been told its an upper control arm by Honda dealer but probably a defect in design.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Nov 212008

Civic 4-cyl

I am the original owner of this 2006 Honda Civic, which I just put on a 3rd set of new tires before the car has reached 90,000 miles. Even with perfect alignment, they are wearing bald on the inside of the tire, therefore, a huge safety issue. The car sways in the back.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Apr 062012

Civic 4-cyl

Rear control arms too short, causing rear tires to wear unevenly and prematurely. [known issue with several hundred complaints noted online in various forums]. could contribute to an accident, especially on wet roads if condition of tire is not noted. Same issue also caused excessive road noise and "wobbly" rear end at freeway speeds. Again, could contribute to an accident.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jan 012007

I bought my 2006 Honda Civic as a brand new car and early on began having extremely uneven wear on my rear tires. The local Honda dealership replaced something with the rear control arms within the first couple of years, stating that Honda believed this would correct the issue. The issue has continued over the past several years, resulting in uneven tire wear (cupping of the tires) and tires that have to be replaced very frequently. The tires appear to look fine on the outside, but are dangerously worn on the inside. I have researched online and it seems that many, many others from 2006-2009 Honda Civics seem to be having the exact same issue.

- Jacksonville, AL, USA

Feb 102012

Civic 4-cyl

I purchased the car in August 2010. Per the Honda service bulletin issued Feb 2008 (which I was unaware of til the problem), I have had a mechanic confirm my complaints/problem--uneven/rapid rear tire wear, a very loud roaring noise from the rear, and vibration at highway speed--meaning I have a faulty rear upper control arm kit. I have called Honda and they said since it's not a "recall" they will not replace this. Their service bulletin clearly states I need a new rear upper control arm kit, replace the flange bolts too, which also means alignment with purchase of new tires.

- Grimes, IA, USA

Oct 222010

Civic 4-cyl

I have replaced my struts, shocks, bearings, and tires. I am now replacing my shocks again 3 weeks of the first time. My 06 Civic is still shaky due to rear arm control please help, can't afford any more.

- Sachse, TX, USA

Oct 212011

Civic 4-cyl

Premature and uneven wear on rear tires. Honda has a service bulletin, 08-001, which addresses a problem with rear upper control arm. Upper control arm needs to be replaced on 2006 and 2007 models due to poor design. However, Honda is waiting until people complain before they are replacing the control arms. Honda changed the design on 2008 and newer Civics. On my car, a mechanic noticed that the left rear tire was wore down to the cord on the inside part of the tire, which could have caused a blowout. Also, tire tread on inside part of right rear tire was noticeably worn, although not as bad as left rear tire. Tire tread on front tires is fine. And tire tread on the outside part of the rear tires is fine. Very difficult to see the damaged portion of the rear tires without having car up on rack.

- Grandview, WA, USA

Sep 212009

Civic 4-cyl

Abnormal rear tire wear, after only 10,000 miles tires were down to the cords. The geometry is wrong on the rear suspension. The upper control arm is too short. When the car is loaded the problem makes tire wear even worse.

- Colstrip, MT, USA

Jul 182011

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, a loud metal on metal type noise was heard from the rear. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that both rear wheel bearings failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 91,000.....updated 12/03/12 the dealer informed the consumer the rear wheel bearing were about to seize and needed to be replaced. Updated 01/10/12

- Oxnard, CA, USA