2006 Honda Civic suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jun 012015

There has been 2 recalls since this vehicle has been on recall list for many problems there are a total of 10 recalls on this VIN which qualifies this car for a buyback. The vehicle has had problems with air bag frontal, fuel sysystem, vehicle speed excelarator and also to include frame damage. Car was purchased at an auction please see attachments that are included. I have been trying to get detailed information regarding this. The car has been reported to insurance company as frame damage and it was not registered under that vehicle has a weird noise crackling sound like it's the axel. Also the tires have been repalced 3 times all away around. Ignition and sarter has been replaced once. Please see that the car has been in a total of 5 accidents with 4 being reported and one not from the frame dmage. Please help me dealer is unknown and not in business anymore. Ihave been getting the run-around for this vehicle and need guidance

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Apr 072016

Uneven and rapidly wearing tires on the 2006 Civic. These uneven tire problems can quickly turn into braking issues and also lead to difficult to control vibrations, giving me fits when traveling at highway speeds.

- Fuquay Varina, NC, USA

Nov 052015

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that upon changing gears, the vehicle was shaking violently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who stated that the motor mounts and the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Desoto, TX, USA

Aug 312015

Rear of Civic "sways" when going over any highway imperfection at any speed but recovers when road smooths out.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Aug 062013

Tire wear has been uneven in the rear tires, I had received a repair notice a couple of years ago but I was out of the country for a long time and missed out on the repair window for replacement of tires and super control arm? I think the resulting tire wear is the fault of known defective parts and Honda is acting very responsibly in not recaling for this failure/defect

- Centreville, VA, USA

Mar 122015

Civic 4-cyl

I never got informed about this settlement claim 2 years ago. Honda service first found a problem on rear control arms and tire wear on March 12th. Why didn't they notice problem before March 12th? Honda service gave me a price of parts and labor. It's $255 on parts (control arms) and $150 labor. Updated 12/21/2015

- Roseville, CA, USA

May 082012

This Civic has a defect on rear control arms causing tires to wear uneven and rapidly and making a horrible noise coming from the back this is unsafe issue I replace the rear shock absorbers, the whell hubs and ofcourse the tires and the problem still there until control arm be replaced for an adjustable one for proper aligment, ,, Honda motor company is not paying for anything, I think costumers don't have pay for Honda mistakes that's not fair.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 272007

Civic 4-cyl

A class action lawsuit was pursued and settled with Honda corporation in December 2013 related to uneven/excessive tire wear on 2006 Honda Civics. It was related to faulty control arms. I missed the deadline to file a claim (January 16, 2014), but I believe this is a problem that Honda should be responsible to correct. My Civic has had 3 sets of tires since I purchased it used in 2006. 2 tires were replaced at 32,261 miles, then 2 more at 39,399miles. After that 4 tires were replaced at 55,750 miles, and then 4 more at 72,450 miles. Rapid wear occurred between 39,399 - 55,750 miles, and 55,750 - 72,450 miles. I believe Honda should replace the control arm at no cost and provide reimbursement for tires that have worn too rapidly.

- Great Falls, VA, USA

Oct 132014

Civic 4-cyl

Defects in rear suspension cause uneven tire wear. After rotating the tires, the front wheels vibration makes driving unsafe.

- Palo Alto, CA, USA

Oct 052014

Civic 4-cyl

I bought the car used and found out there has been a settled class action law suit because the rear control arm causes excessive wear on the rear tires. I guess I am stuck having to make this repair on my own.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Aug 052014

I was driving on 110 fwy the rear suspension bounced like no shocks on it that really scared me.

- Carson, CA, USA

Mar 052006

Civic 4-cyl

Honda claims that the rear upper suspension arms should be replaced, but will not cover the costs involved since I am past the date on the warranty.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 242014

Civic 4-cyl

A faulty designed upper rear control arm causes uneven tire wear and alignment & braking issues.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

May 062014

Civic 4-cyl

The Honda dealership will not replace the control arm in my 2006 Honda Civic for free even though this is a known defect in the manufacturing of the car and a class action lawsuit was recently settled regarding the issue.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Apr 212014

Civic 4-cyl

?uneven or rapid tire wear" due to defective upper control arm. Currently Honda has a campaign L-82 to repair the C arm but only for the Civic 2006-2007 si or hybrid model. My Civic ex model is not covered. I told there dealer that Honda had this service bulletin viii-10-07 dated back Nov 26, 2007. This service was only covered over warranty, unfortunately I don't have extended warranty for my 2006 Civic ex. Is there anything legally that can be done, I am sure there are other Civic owners out there with the same dilemma.

- New York, NY, USA

Dec 242013

Lot of vibrations. Howling noise when in reverse. I checked under the hood and found the hydraulic motor mount leaked and should be replaced. I heard there's a lot of this kind of problem in the internet. I guess you guys need to look deeper into this problem to protect us consumers.

- Monterey Park , CA, USA

Jul 102009

Civic 4-cyl

As many of 06-07 Honda Civic owners are aware of, there is a problem with the rear upper control arms on these particular vehicles. There is even a class action lawsuit out against Honda as profiled here: at this website. After I called to submit a claim I was informed that because of my car being a salvage vehicle, that I would not be eligible to have Honda pay for my repairs even though it legitimately has the problem. The woman from the Honda customer service and the class action lawsuit organization told me that it is not a recall but an "extended warranty" and that's why they won't do anything for a once salvage vehicle because the warranty is void. They also told me that the judge in the case said that it was not a safety issue so therefore did not have to be considered a recall. I am here to tell you that it is a safety issue! try driving this vehicle down a wet or snow covered road. Especially when there is a section of road that is dry then transitioning into a wet stretch of road, such as what would happen going down a tree lined road where some trees keep the pavement dry during a rainstorm. Or driving on a snow covered road that has occasional spots that have little or no snow on them. The rear end will actually shift, sometimes violently from side to side almost to a point of losing control. I have had this vehicle in for a 4 wheel alignment on two occasions, neither of which have solved the problem, only to now realize that these shortened upper control arms are causing the problem. This should be a recall! it should still be turned into one! it is a safety issue!

- Conneaut, OH, USA

Aug 082012

Civic 4-cyl

My car was having uneven wear of the tires and went to get the tires replaced from Firestone, since they were still under warranty. They told me it was the alignment issue, so paid for alignment and new set of tires. Not even 6 months and I started getting humming noise again from the rear side. Turned out that my rear tires were again experiencing the uneven wear. Since on the way back from a road trip, it was only after 1000 miles that I went back to the mechanic. By this time, the noise was like machine gun with car at 70mph. Firestone again refused and I took the car to my mechanic ( midas) and he replaced the shocks, seems like that slowed down the wear of the tires but it is still loose and is slowly getting the same problem. I tried talking to Honda, but at that time there was no tsb on rear suspension and control arms and the cost they told was like my arm and leg. I don't know how to approach on this problem now. I went online and saw that a lot of people were having the same problem, so joined the community and signed the petition but did not hear from them either.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Sep 152007

Civic 4-cyl

During the years of 2008 through 2011, I brought vehicle to sheehy Honda of alexandria for regular service. On several occasions I complained of excessive road noise. Technicians made notations of tires "cupping, noise" and acknowledged uneven and premature wear and recommended replacement of rear control arm. I declined the recommended service on the grounds that I felt like that sounded like a defective part issue for which I should not be required to pay. Upon further research I found that Honda had acknowledged a problem with control arms on 2006 Civics in service bulletin 08-001. In 2011, I brought this to Honda's attention through sheehy Honda of alexandria, va and through calls to american Honda motor co., Inc. Honda refused to replace control arm. In July of 2013, I received a notice, through Honda, from the United States district court for the central district of California instructing me to take my 2006 Civic in to have the control arm inspected/replaced. In August of 2013, I took the vehicle to sheehy Honda of alexandria for the recommended service. They did not look at the control arm. They instead made a notation that the "rear tire wear is okay at this time" and refused to replace the control arm. When I brought it to their attention that there is a record of this issue with them on my car going back to 2011, I was informed that all records are purged after two years and they had no record of interactions with me on this issue.

- Alexandria, Va, VA, USA

Jun 092013

Civic 4-cyl

Honda knows this is an issue with these cars. I have two for which I've brought several set of tires. It is very obvious that this is an engineering design flaw. Tires wear out very quickly. Road noise us tremendous with heavy thumping. Rear upper control arms are the problem.

- Toms River, NJ, USA