2006 Honda Civic wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 252012

Civic 4-cyl

Excessive rear tire wear and cupping of tires causing extreme vibration at speeds above 60 mph. Rear tires only last approx. 30,000 before inner half of tire is complete bald.

- Jersey Shore, PA, USA

Feb 012012

Civic

The rear camber arms on the car are set to very negative causing the car tires to wear rapidly and unevenly. Honda has issued a tsb, but no recall on the parts. They will not pay to fix the problem that is a design flaw in the camber arms. Tires at most will only get 40,000 miles on them and that causes undo expense to the car owner.

- Rice Lake, WI, USA

Nov 212008

Civic 4-cyl

I am the original owner of this 2006 Honda Civic, which I just put on a 3rd set of new tires before the car has reached 90,000 miles. Even with perfect alignment, they are wearing bald on the inside of the tire, therefore, a huge safety issue. The car sways in the back.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Jul 252006

Civic 4-cyl

Rear tires wear out prematurely on the inner side of the tire. The more visible outside of the tire reveals a safe amount of remaining tread while the inside may be completely gone. First set of tires was replaced after 12,500 miles due to a flat tire on the rear left of vehicle. Air was leaking out through the steel belts on the inner side of the left rear tire. The outer side of the tire's tread was well above the replacement marks located in the tread. As of 7 December 2011, a Honda service center wanted $465 to correct the problem that was addressed in Honda tsb 08-001.

- Mardela Springs, MD, USA

Sep 022011

Civic 4-cyl

My rear tires on my '06 were making a roaring noise and vibrating at highway speeds. After putting 15,000 miles on it (bought used with 64,404 miles on it), my tires wore out due to uneven tire wear at the inner edges. Fortunately by chance, just before we embarked on a 1500 mile trip, I just accidentally happened to notice that the belts were showing on the inner edge of my right rear tire. This was not readily noticeable from the outside of the car, until I crawled under the back end of my car to check on something else. From the appearance of the outer edges and mid-sections of my tires, I never would have guessed that my tires were in need of immediate replacement and that this was an accident just waiting to happen! after inspecting the other tires on my car, I ended up replacing a total of three tires. However, this will not correct the problem with my tire-eating car, since the rear upper control arms require replacement, as outlined in Honda tsb 08-001. I went to the local Honda dealer and was informed by a service rep that they handle these claims on a case-by-case basis. Since I did not save my worn out tires and due to the current mileage on my car, I decided that it would probably be a waste of time for me to try to get Honda to replace the control arms at their expense. After reviewing tsb 08-001, it is my opinion that Honda should do the right thing and initiate an immediate safety recall to correct this condition. Premature tire wear due to the rear upper control arm configuration appears to be a very common issue with these 06 & 07 Civic models, as indicated by the number of complaints and by the large number of aftermarket adjustable rear upper control arms/camber kits that are currently available. My Civic now stays parked in the driveway all of the time. This is a very dangerous condition that is not easily or readily noticeable to consumers!

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Nov 112010

Civic

2006 Honda Civic wheel bearing problems I have had to replace a right front wheel bearing after mechanic replacing worn tire notice wheel hub was wobbling and coming out and could have cause an very bad accident.this was January 2010. Today November 11 2010 the left rear bearing went bad. My concern is there is a defect of the bearings and an accident ready to happen by the bearings coming apart and.also causing the fast wear of the tires down to the steel belt that can cause a blow out.

- San Benito, TX, USA

Apr 082009

Civic

2006 Honda Civic coupe. Consumer states mechanical failure caused vehicle accident. The left front wheel broke and turned out to the left instantly.

- Belton, SC, USA

Feb 082010

Civic

I own a 2006 Honda Civic. The winter of 2007-2008 the car would fishtail almost uncontrollably on snow and ice - not a snow or ice storm necessarily, but really whenever there was snow cover or ice on the roads. We changed tires - twice. The winter of 2008-2009, we were still having the same problem. This time, the dealership suggested an alignment. We had that done, but the tech's who did the alignment would not rotate our tires because they said our tires were bald. We discovered that the tires were not bald on the outside edge, only on the inside. We entered the winter of 2009-2010 with the same problem - took it once again to the lithia Honda dealership in ames, ia. We read internet anecdotal evidence blaming the rear sway bar. The technicians checked it and the rear shocks but didn't discover anything wrong. Lithia's service dept refused to do anything else because they could not be assured they would be reimbursed for their costs. Lithia of ames did not contact the national manufacturer, american Honda, until we asked them to. We did more research. One man in british columbia had posted about his car having the exact same problem as ours - complete with many of the same words used to describe the problem as we had used and that technicians had determined it was the control arm. The control arm is too short. We asked them to contact american Honda - the control arm has a bulletin - but only for uneven tread wear. My family and I - our friends, even - are afraid to drive in this car. We cannot take it over 35-40 miles an hour even when it's sunny outside because snow cover will cause it to have this problem. The car doesn't track straight when traversing bumpy roads. On a trip down South last winter, the car hit a small patch of ice and felt like we were going into the ditch. We are going to continue to see problems with the uneven tire wear. The american Honda representative, said, our rear alignment is the worst she's ever seen. Please help!!

- Ames, IA, USA

Nov 232009

Civic

The left rear wheel bearing on my 2006 Honda Civic ec coupe failed at just under 60K miles. Though it was covered under a Aug 2007 recall, Honda never contacted me about the recall nor notified me at any of the times I was in for dealer service after August 2007 prior to the time the bearing had to be replaced.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 012006

Civic

2006 Honda Civic had a problem with the wheels. The consumer stated three of the wheels were damaged while driving on the road in argentina.

- Unknown, DC, USA

Sep 162008

Civic

2006 and 2007 Honda Civic sun visor has a defect. It separate and break when the inside temperature reach a high temperature.

- Mcbee, SC, USA

Feb 152008

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. While driving at any speed, especially when making a turn, the wheels feel as if they will detach from the vehicle. The vehicle bounces and shakes and the speedometer displays inaccurate readings. While driving 30 mph, the speedometer will display 50 mph and vice versa. The dealer informed the contact to check the gas cover. On one of the four occasions that she went to the dealer, she was informed that the failure was internal. Repairs were made, but the failure persists. On another occasion, the contact was informed that there were no failures. She is afraid to drive the vehicle with her children. The current mileage was 24,358 and failure mileage was 15,000. Updated 09/24/08 updated 09/26/08.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jan 122008

Civic 4-cyl

The passenger front wheel cover fell off causing a ski and damaged to the undercarraiged as well as the front bumper.

- Milford, PA, USA

Oct 092007

Civic 4-cyl

Recently thought my car sounded louder than usual upon acceleration at 40 mph and above but didn't' seem to be from engine or transmission and I wasn't too sure if it always sounded like that. Several days later I received a recall notice for ABS rear wheel sensor O-ring inspection, which said it could affect my rear wheel bearings if the 0-ring was defective. I brought my car to a dealer to have this inspected and they also noticed the noise at 40 mph & above. They did tell me I needed to have my driver's side front wheel bearing replaced, but the clerk said this was not part of the recall I just had checked. So I assume that since my front (not back) wheel bearing is defective, this is a separate issue & hasn't yet been recalled. I set up an appt. To have it repaired on 10/16/07.

- Beachwood, NJ, USA

Jul 122007

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. While applying the brakes at 35 mph, the driver side rear wheel locked. As a result, the contact struck a cement wall and the vehicle landed on the other side of the highway. There were no injuries. Honda has not been notified. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign id number 07V399000 (wheels) in October of 2007, however, the vehicle was previously repaired in August of 2007. The current mileage was 20,000 and failure mileage was 15,000.

- Westchester, IL, USA