3.7

2007 Honda Civic electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Civic:

2007 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 012010

Civic

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. The contact stated that in August 2010, the dealer reprogrammed the computer which caused the vehicle to lose power and not accelerate normally. The vehicle was inspected by the dealer who stated that the reprogramming was the cause of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 28,000.

- Naples, FL, USA

Aug 112010

Civic

I received a letter from american Honda Corp. Stating that I needed to get a software update on my 2007 Honda Civic hybrid ima battery. I took the car to my local dealer and since the update has been installed the car is dangerous to drive when entering the freeway. The failure to accelerate happens everytime I enter the freeway. The consequences of this failure is that cars behind come up on me very fast and I have no power to get in the flow of traffic. It has little acceleration to match traffic flow. It seems the car is mostly operating on the small engine and has little assist from the battery, since the update has been installed.I called american Honda they said there was no problem with the update on the performance of the car and they would not do anything regarding my concerns. I feel this car is an accident waiting to happen. As well, Honda said they will not change the warranty on the battery even though they have changed how the battery operates since they have installed the update. I ask you to consider telling Honda to recall this car and make it safe to drive. I want my car to run the way it did before the software was installed. A side complaint is that the good gas mileage I got on a tank of gas as dropped considerably since the update.. thank you for your consideration on taking on this complaint.. P.S. there has been no accident. I filed this complaint so that there is none in the future. The incident date of August 11,2010 is the date the new software was installed in my car.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Mar 152010

Civic

This is regarding a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. The ima system/electric battery is not working as it used to. Recently there was a service bulletin issued by Honda to have the ima software updated at any Honda dealership. The service bulletin dealt with the issue of the electric battery not charging properly and no/minimal assist from the ima system when accelerating. There is no change in how the car is performing after the software update and the mpg has gone down from 42 to 32 mpg. The electric battery is not charging as it used to initially and there is hardly any assist when accelerating. My wife and I have almost gotten into really bad accidents when trying to merge on the freeway. Without any assistance from the electric battery, the car has literally no acceleration. On a few occasions we were almost run over by semi's because we couldn't merge with the traffic fast enough. I've reported this issue to multiple dealerships in bay area ca but they insisted there is no problem with the hybrid batteries. They state that if there is a problem then a warning light should come up on the dashboard indicating the problem. I don't know why the light is not coming on but I proved to multiple dealers that the battery charge does not hold. They saw how the car was behaving but said they were not able to do anything till the vehicle's onboard computer indicated that there was an issue with the ima system. I then contacted Honda usa and reported the issue. They were polite but declined any help. They also said that the car has an onboard computer that displays an error if there is an issue. I told them that this problem can cause fatal accidents on the highway because the car does not have any power and it is not fit to be driven on the highway but Honda usa said that they were not aware of any such issue. I strongly feel that they are aware of the issue and even tried to correct it via the latest software update but it didn't work and they're not willing to replace the battery.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Oct 222010

Civic 4-cyl

The ima battery pack in my 2007 Honda Civic hybrid failed at 68,000 miles. Prior to the failure, on one occasion the engine shut down at a stop sign and had to be restarted. The battery failure occurred while my wife was driving the car on a freeway and the failure resulted in a considerable drop in power, but the car continued to run on the gasoline engine alone. Honda previously installed a software update in the vehicle apparently to address battery issues. Honda is replacing the battery pack under warranty.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jan 012010

Civic

Premature sudden battery failure. Shorts out. I've have to get a new battery every year.

- Phx, AZ, USA

Jan 032010

Civic

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. The contact stated that the electrical battery, or the ima system, would not hold an electrical charge. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised the contact that if a light did not illuminate within the instrument panel stating there was a failure with the vehicle, they were unable to assist. The manufacturer was contacted stating that a warning light should have illuminated indicating a failure and if not, they were unable to provide any assistance. The failure mileage was 56,000. Updated 04/15/11

- Fremont, CA, USA

Aug 182010

Civic

On August 18, 2010 my 2007 Honda Civic caught fire in my driveway. At about 10:30pm I looked out my bedroom window to see if I put the driver's window up and discovered that my car was on fire. Flames where coming from the right front fender/passenger side mirror area. When I got closer to the car I could see a clear-yellow-ish flame that was burning a whole in the fender from the inside out. I had called 911, but I was nervous about the car being so close to the house and I put out the fire myself. The damage was relatively minor and the car was repaired. Originally, the insurance company said that a faulty wiring harness caused the fire. They later stated that the cause was undetermined. There is another report of a 2007 Civic catching fire due to a faulty wiring harness on this site.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Aug 292010

Civic

I had the software updated in my 07 Civic hybrid in August 2010. Since the update the car has no electric assist when the battery is half full or less. My battery is in this state at least half of the time and Honda tells me that it is normal and that the lack of power when accelerating is the result of the update. This has made the car feel very unsafe to drive, especially when pulling onto the highway. I was almost rear ended the last week in August pulling on the highway because my car had no pickup as a result of this update.

- Revere, MA, USA

Jun 012008

Civic

Own a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. After about one year of ownership, the car started exhibiting troubling characteristics with the power management and available power. The car relies on a gas engine and electric assist to provide full power in all driving situations. During the summer when teperatures rise, the car starts to have difficulty providing power from the electric motor due to the battery crashing to 0. once the battery "recalibrates" the car provides very little power using only the gas engine. This battery crash happens on a daily basis and means in the real world that when I am pulling out into traffic I may have very little power to get the car up to speed and risk getting hit by oncoming traffic. To say the car becomes "sluggish" is an overstatement. Honda has been unwilling to address this issue and it appears that the ar has a material defect that prevents the batteries from operating as intended in real world situations. When the air conditioner is in operation the battery will crash each time you drive the car. I feel very unsafe in this vehicle and Honda is doing nothing to address the complaints.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 012010

Civic

Honda Civic hybrid 2007 has worse mpg (28mpg on average) than its non-hybrid twin or other comparable models, after the new software for integrated motor assist was installed by Honda dealership. When I bought the car it was marked with 45mpg average. My battery seems to have been damaged as it does not hold charge.

- Athens, GA, USA

Aug 102010

Civic

I have a 2007 Honda 'hybrid'. recently I received a letter from Honda reference to the batteries. As instructed I went to the dealership and had a new computer chip installed. Problem, my acceleration from start is greatly diminished and my fuel economy has gone down about 3 mpg around town. Please assist. Thankyou.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Aug 182010

Civic

Note: I wish I had found this site years ago. I could not get past Ford "brick wall" to speak to an engineer! 1. 1997 aerostar - accelerator pedal was pressed down quickly to pass (2 lane highway). 2. now in the left lane, not far ahead of passed the car - I experienced a complete loss of power - hard right over to soft shoulder - avoided an oncoming head on collision - L just missed the car being passed by inches and stopped. The crimped end of cable to the carburetor had released from the accelerator pedal. 3. I clamped the cable back onto the pedal with vice grips. (drove to dealer). Ford replaced the cable. That problem has not happened again. (I do not press down hard either!)

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 012010

Civic

My 2007 Honda Civic hybrid is frequently sluggish and doesn't accelerate as rapidly as I was used to when it performed better. Now, when I'm turning left in front of oncoming traffic or merging into high speed traffic I never know if my car will accelerate quickly enough or not. I've taken it to Honda multiple times and they always say it's fine. More recently I realized it was because it wasn't getting its previous level of battery assist because the battery is performing much worse than it used to. I reluctantly did the softward update Honda is recommending to extend battery life, but have since realized it is probably making the issue worse. This problem has been going on for one year, or slightly more. I've taken it to Honda 5 times. It happens approximately once or twice per day that I don't accelerate with the car's full power.

- Missoula, MT, USA

Jun 012008

Civic

Ima battery deterioration and/or ima battery draining resulting in little power/pickup.

- Millersville, MD, USA

Apr 152010

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. The contact stated that he had an ima battery in the vehicle that would not charge in hot weather. The vehicle also began to accelerate without warning. The dealer was contacted and stated that they have been updating the software in the vehicle. The manufacturer stated that there was nothing wrong with the battery. There have been no repairs just software updates. The VIN is not available. The failure mileage was 43000 and the current mileage is 45500. Updated 10/21/10. Updated 10/26/10

- Dumas , AR, USA

Aug 072010

Civic

I have a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. I have noticed that the battery is suddenly drained of its charge during hot weather when I am at a stop. This caused me to pull out into traffic with literally no acceleration. This has led me to almost being called by oncoming traffic on a couple different occasions. I know Honda is aware of this happening as they have sent out a notice to have the battery software updated saying that the battery is being drained and deteriorating over time. I think that they know that this is a major safety issue and they are not admitting it. Honda has to be held responsible to provide a fix for this situation before someone gets killed if they haven't already.

- Apex, NC, USA

Dec 032009

Civic

My 2007 Honda Civic hybrid would lose its battery charge and it would take 2 to 3 miles of driving to recharge the battery. During this recharging time there is no assist from the electric motor which is suppose to aid the gas engine when more power is needed such as merging into traffic or making a left turn with on coming traffic. The official name of the battery losing its charge is called a recalibrating. It had happened to me about every 5 to 8 miles of driving but it is random and can happen at the most inopportune time. The battery pack is causing the problem as it is deteriorating. Even though I still had warranty coverage in the 3yr/36000 coverage, Honda refused 5 times to replace the battery.the Honda Civic hybrid should not be sold when this is happening to so many owners. Yes, the car operates without the electric motor assist but when you are expecting more power for the maneuver you are going to do and the recalibrating kicks it in it can be very dangerous! I used the better business bureau auto line and had my problem arbitrated and the decision was my car was a lemon and Honda had to repurchase it. The arbitrator ruled the car a lemon and one reason was it was not safe to drive in all normal driving situations! get this car off the road. This is my second complaint about this matter. For the first complaint I did not have the lemon law decision but now I do and this car is officially declared a lemon.

- Wells, ME, USA

May 152010

Civic

2007 Honda Civic hybrid lost electric motor assist power in May 2010 when I was driving up a hill in downtown seattle traffic. Took it to Honda dealer, who confirmed low power assist and (without conferring with me) reprogrammed the power assist software and pronounced it fixed. One or two days after this service call, I again noticed weak electric motor assist on another hill in downtown traffic. Took the car to Honda again, and they confirmed that they could replicate the anemic power condition, but said that Honda usa says the vehicle is operating as intended with the computer software update, and that there is no more to be done. I said that I had lost confidence in the automobile, since I consider it a driving hazard not to be able to accelerate adequately in some driving conditions. I said that I wanted Honda to buy back the car, but the dealer service manager said that Honda wouldn't do that. I have purchased another car, but still own the Honda Civic hybrid; I don't know what to do with it, since I don't feel good offering it to anyone other than Honda for sale.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 242010

Civic

I was almost in a serious accident as I went to make a right hand turn, and the car only accelerated at about 1/4 of its normal pace. I had to look down to make sure my foot was on the gas. When this acceleration failure occurred, the battery showed no charge, but it had shown almost a full charge when I first started the car, just a few minutes earlier. My car now cannot hold a charge at all. I park it fully charged, and when I start, it shows fully charged. Within the first mile of driving, it drops to 1 or no bars. It then has trouble accelerating, as the car cannot pull from the ima and it tries to charge the ima, instead of accelerating. This failure is now occurring daily. It is very difficult to drive to work, as I don't know when I can merge onto interstate and if the car will fail. It is usually fine after about 10 miles of driving, but my commute is only 12 miles, so I would say this makes a very large % of my commute dangerous. The service department updated software, but this has not improved the situation at all. I am keeping a journal of these daily activities, as the ima is still under warranty. My gas mileage dropped 20% over the past year, even though I do use ethanol free gas. This was the first indication there was a problem with the ima, but Honda simply gave me the brush off everytime I expressed a concern that this was an early sign that something was wrong.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Mar 172010

Civic

My 2007 Honda Civic hybrid ima battery is discharging/recalibrating randomly causing loss of power. Prior to this date I had taken it to the dealership to try and find a problem since this began occurring frequently and was a new issue with the car. No problems were found. On this date, the ima battery discharged while making a left at an intersection, power was drained, a car almost hit me because my car could not accelerate fast enough to get out of the way. Given that this happens randomly there is no way to predict when a recalibration/discharge will happen. It has since been taken back to the dealer multiple times. Because there is no error code indicating there is a problem they are refusing to work on it even though the car is still 100% under warranty. Many others have experienced the same issue with the batteries and the car power loss. Those that have been lucky enough to get the ima battery replaced have reported the car back to normal working conditions. I should note, that when I first got my car the discharge/recalibration would happen once every several months. This number has been increasing rapidly and now the vehicle does this at least four times a week. In February it did it two times a week, and about 7 months ago it started doing it once a week. The more this occurs the more I am at risk for an accident. The car simply does not have power to get out of the way and because it is such a drastic change from normal operating conditions the driver cannot compensate. Honda is refusing to acknowledge there is an issue and has been completely unresponsive to my concerns.

- Miami, FL, USA