8.6

$3,273.00

1. new engine installed (15 reports)
  3. engine rebuild (7 reports)
  4. needs new engine block (1 reports)
2007 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Civic:

2007 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 042013

Civic ES

Most Honda owners don't know about the extended warranty, because I was NEVER notified by HONDA. I just happened to drive in to the dealer with an overheating car. Keep in mind, mine is the 2007 Civic, not the 2006. If owners do not get it repaired within the 8 yr extended warranty period they are going to get screwed and Honda gets away with it.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

May 012013

Civic EX 1.8L

New short block, no charge. They pulled and inspected the oil pump and head. Both spec'd OK, so they reused them. Still going strong at 162,000 miles.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Oct 202012

Civic Coupe V-Tec

blown gaskets from having no flluids in engine

Was startled when at a stop sign see the car is overheating went from Cold to Hot in matter of seconds, turned the corner and car died out. Turned off engine and sat for 15-20 minutes. This is the first time it had happened but no indicator lights when on that it was an engine problem, oil or water. No bells and whistles just died out. Driving 4 miles from work to home, 3rd mile is when it over heated. Near service station so start it up barely made it. Bought coolant it was empty and just happed to check oil . . .there was not oil!! I keep regular maintenance on car I was shocked. Put in oil. Didn't drive car on 21 Oct. Checked for leaks on 22 Oct had to go to work nothing leaked park spot clean. 3 miles to work goes from cold to hot in a matter of seconds, put car in neutral because I was at the light to turn in work. Finally to gentlemen said I wouldn't drive car have it towed so I did.

Here's the kicker never received service bulletin from Honda about possible cracked engine block or any other recall. Acura where I take the car to be service said I had 2 blown gaskets and a cracked radiator and I needed a new engine. Unfortunately I don't have the money to do that cost $4000. Called Amerian Honda in CA they gave me a claim # spoke to nasty claim rep who said if it's not a cracked engine they (Honda) would not fix it because I drove the car when it was overheating. It happened only two times with no indication at all and it's my fault. Told Lilly the claim rep that I'm on disability, it's my only car, not through paying for it and I occasionally work part time. Didn't matter to her they are not fixing it not the engine block!

I am truly, truly angry about all of this. Honda had Acura tow car to nearest authorized Honda dealer and I get a song and a dance from them. Body dept called me and said "how about $2980?" and I said "how about it? can't pay $4000 can pay $2980. Think I p---off? Lilly refused to give me her Supervisor's name and said if it's not cracked engine they still would pay for it. Anyone out there have any suggestions, I'm open.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

May 052012

Civic LX 1.8L

• 3,852,501 miles

I am very dismayed by the case with my car since I am a person who believed in the brand HONDA much, especially since the company disappointed in PANAMA BAY MOTORS did not give me any support, knowing that it is a manufacturing defect. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE PURCHASE OF VEHICLES OF THIS BRAND.

My vehicle to 60.000 km crack in the block presented with a mild high temperature, with the result that I have to buy the machine.

- , Panama, Panama, Panama

Dec 122012

Civic

Car overheated, went straight to Honda dealer. They said they had an idea it might be a cracked short block. They confirmed - they fixed it at their cost (thank God) and I hoped all would be good. I have to take the car back in because it is running rough - not as smooth as it should - will take in two days time to have them look at it.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

May 012012

Civic 1.8L

I'm experiencing the same problem as losing antifreeze, my car continues to overheat after going only a mile or so. I have had all regular maintenance done on my car through Honda and the problem had never come up! I took it to them for them to look at and they continue to tell me that it is the Head Gasket and they are wanting over $1700 for the repair. It also vibrates when in reverse. I had no idea that it was a huge issue until i found this site. I do believe it is a manufacturing issue and they should take care of it!

- , Burlington, KY, USA

Mar 032012

Civic EX E=R 4-C 1.81

One day as I was driving I notice my car was overheating???? after it cool down hubby check it out, well it had no coolant or oil in it??? he kindly refill it after a few choice words to me. Well it happened again about a month later. I found this web site and after reading some of the complaints I knew it must be a crack block! I called the dealer who said could I bring it in today and I did, I told him about what I had read on here and he said Oh"

Well the dealer fixed it for free!!! I didn't have to pay a dime!

So yeah Honda!!!! Thank you! : )

- , alta loma, CA, USA

Feb 152012

Civic LX 4 cyl

What do we do.? We have always maintian the vehicle regularly. Honda is suppose to last forever. Mechanic says it is a fawl in the block from manufacture. Has anyone else had this problem? call me 573 344 0992. Thanks Don

- , Kennett, MO, USA

Jun 242011

Civic EX

I got this car because of I wanted to get out of my old car that kept breaking down. Since I had this car I have had to replace the motor mount $190, the starter $300 and my engine block. On fathers day my car started to run hot. I called the Honda dealership and they said it was a recall on the block and that I could bring it in and get it fixed with no charge. I'm sick of fixing things on this car. I am trading this car in soon.

- , Lakeland, FL, USA

Mar 252011

Civic GX 1.8L

I've always had confidence in Honda products, which is one reason I bought this car. But to say this problem caught me by surprise would be the understatement of the year!

I bought this Honda Civic GX (the natural gas version of the regular civic) because of the allure of the $0.55/gallon cost of fuel. You read that right, I pay anywhere from $0.53 to $1.11 per gallon of gas. That fact, combined with the promise of a car that I expected would run almost forever (because it is a Honda), caused me to plunk down my hard-earned money on this new car.

My wife and I both drive this car and, although it gets lots of use, it is never subjected to harsh driving and is maintained as Honda recommends. Imagine my surprise when a slow leak of coolant on the ground turned out to be a cracked engine block! Crimeny (sp?), there is barely 33,000 miles on this car!!

Yes, Honda was great about repairing the engine, no, there was no charge to me and yes, they were even speedy in the repair. But from what I can tell from my online research, this is a BIG problem with the R18 engine in all Civics from 2006 through 2009. And it appears that Honda, though I don't know this for sure, replaced the engine block with an identical block (meaning that the design flaw that caused my first engine to crack is now waiting like a time bomb in my new engine)!

Honda recognizes that this is a problem and has extended the warranty for this problem to eight years from the current five. However, when my car nears the end of this time period, I will be forced to sell it for fear of incurring this problem again and having to pay the $4,200 repair bill myself. So much for the hope of buying an ultra-reliable Honda!

- , Torrance, CA, USA

Sep 302008

Civic 2dr Coupe Vtech

Honda sent me a "Important Motor Vehicle Product Update" in the mail in August 2010. I had already replaced the engine block and cylinder head in September 2008. The notice from Honda actually OFFERED a reimbursement for 2006-2009 Civic Engine Blocks that had been replaced because of engine block coolant leaks or overheating due to coolant leaks. I was VERY excited to receive this due to the fact that I had spent $4863.49 just 2 years earlier! I immediately sent in my receipt to Honda. The Honda Claims Representative, Sarah Sosa, has still to this day, not paid me my reimbursement. I am devastated by the fact that Honda OFFERED this to car owners, but then, turn around and make you jump through hoops, and perform circus acts just to get paid. Why even offer? Well, my car was stolen in November, Sarah now wants my claim number, and the engine block number from the engine, which I am unable to get due to the fact that the car was stolen. I have sent her the police report as she requested, but now she says that Honda is denying my claim. Remind you, the car engine blew up in 2008 and this is 2011....I was going to use the reimbursement to purchase a brand new Honda Civic, but....... FORGET IT! I willl NEVER buy a Honda product again!

- , Henderson, NV, USA

Feb 022011

Civic

Just like most people on this site, my story is the same. I have a Honda civic and I am the only owner and driver. I have problem after problem with this vehicle. This month in snow storm my car started to overheated. At first I thought it was just because the weather being at below zero. After I pulled of the road in a save area luckily! I went to look under the hood and saw that it was blowing smoke. A man that I will never get thank again came up to me and helped. Luckily he knew a lot about my car. Told me not drive anymore and get it to the dealer. Just by looking at he said that my engine was gone!! I started to freak out. I bought the overpriced car so I would not have problems and can drive it to the dumpster myself in ten year not in three. He told me no matter what I should blame it on them (dealer)and not to pay a dime. Thank God he prepared me for a battle!!!!!!!! The dealer called me the next day and said my engine coolant was dumping coolant to the wrong part...or something and that my engine block was broken. He tried to get me to pay for it all 8500!!! INSANE but after I spoke to him and explained that this was their problem they fixed it ZERO$.. I asked for a loaner car and they said they had none. Told them that was there problem again not mine. Finally I got a rental after two days FREE. They had the car for two weeks. Thank GOD I didn’t have to pay a dime. The thing is if they know all these problems why the hell are they not fixing it before it gets worse. Probably cause it cheaper to wait it out and see how many peoples warranty expires and then the customer will pay not them!!

- , Ottawa, ON, canada

Jan 212011

Civic LX

I am now another person you can add to the list of horrible engine problems with a Honda Civic. My car started leaking coolant. Since my car was so new (and I'm a struggling college student) I assumed it was just a leak on a hose and always bought coolant for my car making sure that the temperature never went dangerously high. I had kept it under control for about 3 months until my car would shut off at low RPM. No warning or shaking it would just shut off at a low RPM. I took it to the dealership service center and they just told me I need a new engine because there was no oil in the engine when they checked it. I spoke to Honda and they informed me that the reason why I need a new engine was because I haven't put oil in it since 38,800 miles. WHICH IS NOT TRUE!!! My fiancé changed my oil for me since then. We gave them a transaction date for when we bought oil at Advance Auto Zone, but they told us that they can't be sure that we are not lying without the actual receipt. I am still under warranty but Honda doesn't want to believe that they are at fault for this problem. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A HONDA AGAIN AND ALL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL KNOW HOW THE ONCE RELIABLE COMPANY IS A PIECE OF JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 112010

Civic EX 1.8L V4

1. The day before yesterday, my A/C didn't work. I thought myself it was about a time to check Air conditioning.

2. At night yesterday, I was waiting for a green signal on the road. I noticed the temperature of my car's engine kept going up. I figured out that could be an anti freezer problem.

3. Luckly I came back home without having any problem. Today morning, I checked my car's engine oil and that was all empty and dry. I changed my car's engine oil and filter just one month ago at the Honda dealership.

4. I searched on line for the same complaint of 2007 Honda civic. And now I feel like it is a typical Honda Civic's engine problem. Tomorrow I will bring my car to a dealership and Ask them to check the problem then to replace it. Hopely, my warranty will cover it up. I purchased my car 3 yr 4 month ago, it is only 37,400 miles on it. If I am right, my power train warranty will cover it up.

5. Additionally, my Honda civic already had two problems just two month ago, one of them was a sunvisor and the other was a horn. Unfortunately, my warranty was just out of it, I payed to fix it. The cost was about $300.

As soon as I fix my car, I will trade in my car. I feel like Honda is not like before. Long time ago, I used to drive a cheap Hyundai elantra, but that did not have any major problem like 07 Honda civic. Very disappointed with the quality of Honda Civic!!

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 182010

Civic LX 1.8L

Like everyone else, I had my Honda Civic completely take a giant poop on me. It started with my car stalling on me while just running errands. When I attempted to start the car again I noticed that the thermostat was all the way to hot. I had the car towed to a local Pep Boys where they informed I was really low on Coolant. I had the water pump fixed new thermostat, new spark plugs, coolant refilled etc. After paying $900 dollars out of my own pocket I figured that was the end to my problems. Not even 2 weeks after getting the car back, I was traveling to meet up with a friend who lived 2 hours away from me. The entire way there I noticed the thermostat continuously would go up and down. I turned around to take my car back to Pep Boys assuming it was their fault. By the time I got to downtown Phoenix my car stalled right as I got off the freeway. Once they finally towed the car back to Pep Boys they informed me that my coolant was leaking.

I went home googled the issues with my car and found a ton of forums of people who had the same exact issue. I contacted Honda on 7th Ave and the 17 and explained the issue, I told them there was a service bulletin (08-44) for the cracked block and this was clearly a manufacturing issue. I expected a long fight with them but in the middle of explaining everything to them they stopped me and told me to bring it in. My car has well over 100,000 miles and no warranty. That didnt stop them from helping me out, they completely repaired the car and I had to pay absolutely nothing for it. The car did have to go back once more because they failed to fix one of my ignition coils but other than that they were nothing but nice to me.

I really appreciate everything they did for me and I hope this helps someone out there. Honda cannot do this to people, stand your ground and demand they fix your car. If anyone reading this lives in Arizona go straight to the Bell Honda on 7th ave and the 17 if no other Honda is willing to help. I'm currently faxing my paperwork to Honda Corporate and I hope they will reimburse me for the rental car I had to pay out of pocket for and for the 900 that I had paid originally. If this is happening to you make sure you contact the corporate offices for Honda and let them know you're well aware of the issue. Lets get Honda to recall these cars and save people some serious money and headaches. Honda Corporate's number is 1800-999-1009. Good luck everyone!

- , Glendale, AZ, USA

Aug 132010

Civic DX 1.8L 4 cyl

Brought the car in because the ac system had stopped working... turns out the car had no coolant. My independent mechanic troubleshooted the leak to a 2 inch crack behind the starter motor. The ac was not working because there was no coolant in the engine and it was running so hot that it overwhelmed the ac condenser. At this point I will never buy another Honda again. Bringing the car to the dealer tomorrow. If they do not replace it with a BRAND new block and pay for the rental they will be sued for the full cost of that car and I will get rid of that pos. Honda quality? I have a suspicion this may lead to a recall that will rival the humiliation toyota just felt.

- , Winchester, MA, USA

Aug 012010

Civic LS 1.8L

My daughter and her 2007 Honda Civic took a quick run up to Dunkin Donut's on a recent Sunday Monring, which is a 1/2 mile from the house. Upon her return she had smoke coming from the hood of the car. I just thought it was a hole in the anti freeze hose which would have been a nice, easy fix. I took it to the dealship that I purchased it from, brand new at the time, did I feel to mention that we've owned the car for only 3.5 years, the next day they called with the diagnosis, it was a cracked small engine block. The cost to repair this is $4500.00 plus. Needless to say, I didn't have an extended warranty and the original warranty covered 5 years/60,000 miles, we had 73,000 miles.

Anyways, I declined to pay the $109.00 to evaluate my $4500.00 cost and I'm waiting to hear back from Honda Corporate. I'll let you know how I make out. Aren't these cars suppose to last about 15 years/250,000 miles? That's why we bought ours....Dependability!?

- , Everett, MA, USA

Aug 062010

Civic LX

I can see that a lot of people have had a problem with the cracked engine block in Honda Civics. Fortunately, I was not left at the side of the freeway like many people here - the problem was discovered by Honda dealership when I took the car in to have the brakes replaced. Another fortunate thing is that this is not going to cost me anything since my car is under extended warranty.

However, I am fearful that without replacing the whole engine (which the Honda dealership refused to do) I will have problems in the future. Has anybody had problems with the engine after the repairs? (I think they will replace part of the front block or something like that, my car is in the shop now).

I also don't understand how something like this can happen at only 20,000+ miles in a relatively new car. They should put this under recall and replace the car, or at least the engine. I don't think I will ever buy a Honda again. I used to drive a little old Ford Escort before and was much happier with that car (120,000 miles without major issues).

- , Redlands, CA, USA

Jul 282010

Civic

My 2007 Honda Civic Sedan seemed hot whenever I pulled it into the garage even after just a short errand. I added the suggested coolant and began to notice that it was leaking on the front passenger side of my garage. None of the dashboard indicators activated in any way. Took it to the Honda dealer (Power Honda Valencia, CA) and found out that the engine block was cracked. The real kicker is that it only has 20,000 miles on it. This car is used primarily for running errands in town. Honda is going to replace the engine under the power train warranty as I have had the car for less than 3 years. It will take a week to order parts and repair. I asked the dealer for a rental or a loaner and they refused. All they would offer was "their" rate at Enterprise. I will be sending in a formal complaint to Honda as I should not have to foot the bill for the rental because their 20,000 mile engine is defective. This is the 7th Honda that I have owned/leased and I normally would have never considered another make, but clearly Honda doesn't care about quality or service anymore. This problem seems to be prevalent and there is a service bulletin about this problem....time for a recall.

- , Stevenson Ranch, CA, USA

Jun 042010

Civic EX

ENGINE OVERHEATED WITHOUT WARNING; NEED A NEW MOTOR NOW

My 2007 Civic has only 74K miles on it. I am almost done paying this sucker off, and had originally planned to keep it another 5 or 6 years. Honda initially offered to pay 80% percent of the repair bill; leaving me to pay $1300. Total cost of repairs is around $7000. Then they offered 90%, leaving me to pay around $800 after all is said and done.

THIS IS A KNOWN MANUFACTURERS DEFECT. HOW IS THE CONSUMER PUNISHED FOR BUYING A VEHICLE FROM A COMPANY WHO NO LONGER PRODUCES A VEHICLE WORTHY OF OWNING? THE TOTAL REPAIR BILL IS MORE THAN I OWE ON THIS VEHICLE. WTF? FOR REAL? HONDA DOES NOT THINK THAT THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE, YET WHEN MY ENGINE OVERHEATED AND SH*T ON ME, I WAS ON AN INCLINE (WITH KIDS IN THE CAR) AND ALMOST ROLLED INTO THE CAR IN BACK OF ME!!! HOW IS THIS NOT A SAFETY ISSUE??? DOES SOMEONE HAVE TO DIE FIRST TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT?

I AM HOLDING OUT UNTIL HONDA OFFERS TO PAY AT LEAST 95%, AND I DON'T THINK I SHOULD EVEN BE THAT GENEROUS. THERE ARE NO STORAGE FEES AT MY LOCAL DEALERSHIP, SO MY CAR IS GOING TO STAY IN THEIR LOT UNTIL THIS IS RESOLVED.

Sorry for screaming, I have been without my car for 2 months now... ANY ATTORNEYS INTERESTED IN THIS COMPLAINT?

- , San Antonio, TX, USA