8.3

$3,273.00

2. new engine installed (15 reports)
  3. replace (8 reports)
  4. engine rebuild (7 reports)
  5. needs new engine block (1 reports)
2007 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Civic:

2007 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 032014

Civic EX

Engine overheated 3 weeks ago, coolant a gallon low...engine block cracked. Honda to replace on extended warranty good through the end of the year. Lemon of a car but Honda or warranty timing has always come out in my favor. A nuisance at most, No car while engine being changed out, need to rent a car at my expense.

- , Redding, Connecticut, USA

Feb 042013

Civic ES

Most Honda owners don't know about the extended warranty, because I was NEVER notified by HONDA. I just happened to drive in to the dealer with an overheating car. Keep in mind, mine is the 2007 Civic, not the 2006. If owners do not get it repaired within the 8 yr extended warranty period they are going to get screwed and Honda gets away with it.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

May 012013

Civic EX 1.8L

New short block, no charge. They pulled and inspected the oil pump and head. Both spec'd OK, so they reused them. Still going strong at 162,000 miles.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 092014

Civic EX 1.8L

Like everyone else I had the car overheated, pulled over & noticed coolant Bottle was empty. topped off with coolant and drove car after it cooled. Came home checked coolant next day and it was low. Took to dealer was informed cracked engine block is what they have been seeing with these overheats, sure enough cracked block but the cylinder head was warped due to the overheat and it is going to cost me 2,200 dollars to repair. I called Honda corporate to ask them to pay for the cylinder head. They offered to cover 50% of the cost, $1,100 my out of pocket expense no rental car. This is my second Honda, both bought brand spanking new. I am disappointed that Honda is not paying for the entire cost of repair for a problem that is clearly a manufacture defect. I used to promote and speak highly of the product, never again will I recommend nor purchase another Honda. I will speak to as many people as I can through media and word of mouth about my horrible Honda experience.

- , Lodi, CA, USA

Oct 202012

Civic Coupe V-Tec

blown gaskets from having no flluids in engine

Was startled when at a stop sign see the car is overheating went from Cold to Hot in matter of seconds, turned the corner and car died out. Turned off engine and sat for 15-20 minutes. This is the first time it had happened but no indicator lights when on that it was an engine problem, oil or water. No bells and whistles just died out. Driving 4 miles from work to home, 3rd mile is when it over heated. Near service station so start it up barely made it. Bought coolant it was empty and just happed to check oil . . .there was not oil!! I keep regular maintenance on car I was shocked. Put in oil. Didn't drive car on 21 Oct. Checked for leaks on 22 Oct had to go to work nothing leaked park spot clean. 3 miles to work goes from cold to hot in a matter of seconds, put car in neutral because I was at the light to turn in work. Finally to gentlemen said I wouldn't drive car have it towed so I did.

Here's the kicker never received service bulletin from Honda about possible cracked engine block or any other recall. Acura where I take the car to be service said I had 2 blown gaskets and a cracked radiator and I needed a new engine. Unfortunately I don't have the money to do that cost $4000. Called Amerian Honda in CA they gave me a claim # spoke to nasty claim rep who said if it's not a cracked engine they (Honda) would not fix it because I drove the car when it was overheating. It happened only two times with no indication at all and it's my fault. Told Lilly the claim rep that I'm on disability, it's my only car, not through paying for it and I occasionally work part time. Didn't matter to her they are not fixing it not the engine block!

I am truly, truly angry about all of this. Honda had Acura tow car to nearest authorized Honda dealer and I get a song and a dance from them. Body dept called me and said "how about $2980?" and I said "how about it? can't pay $4000 can pay $2980. Think I p---off? Lilly refused to give me her Supervisor's name and said if it's not cracked engine they still would pay for it. Anyone out there have any suggestions, I'm open.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

May 052012

• 3,852,501 miles

I am very dismayed by the case with my car since I am a person who believed in the brand HONDA much, especially since the company disappointed in PANAMA BAY MOTORS did not give me any support, knowing that it is a manufacturing defect. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE PURCHASE OF VEHICLES OF THIS BRAND.

My vehicle to 60.000 km crack in the block presented with a mild high temperature, with the result that I have to buy the machine.

- , Panama, Panama, Panama

Sep 212012

Civic EX 4 cyl

Not sure what happened to Honda reliability. I feel that 07 civic was poorly made and it will most likely be the last Honda I own. I hope the Honda corporation is willing to right this wrong and pay for a problem it seems they knew about, but chose to ignore. If anyone else is having this issue or knows about the class action suite being brought against Honda, I would love to hear more information.

- , New York, New York, USA

Dec 122012

Civic

Car overheated, went straight to Honda dealer. They said they had an idea it might be a cracked short block. They confirmed - they fixed it at their cost (thank God) and I hoped all would be good. I have to take the car back in because it is running rough - not as smooth as it should - will take in two days time to have them look at it.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 192013

Civic LX

I bought a used 2007 Civic with 49,350 miles on it 3 weeks ago, from a dealership. Yesterday on my way to work, I noticed that the car began to run hot. It seemed like the heat was blowing cold air, so i fiddled around with the temp controls, the heat kicked in, and within seconds, my temp gauge shot up to just under the hot mark. I have to drive over an hour to get to work, so I kept a close eye on it. It seemed like it would get hotter while I was accelerating, but when i cranked the heat, it would get back down to the normal zone. I took it to the shop and sure enough, the engine was cracked. NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, NO WARNING whatsoever. The dealership called Honda for me and Honda is covering the new engine, the repair, and the loaner car from the dealership until it's fixed. They said it could possibly be 2 weeks or so, but my dealership has assured me that I do not have to pay a dime out of pocket. Hopefully the new engine will not give me any problems.

- , Charleston, WV, USA

Dec 172012

Civic EX 1.8L Manual

Ok, so about three weeks ago my 2007 Honda Civic starts to overheat on me. After figuring out that it wasn't leaking from the radiator or any hoses, I found out.....yes I have a cracked engine block. Once I checked out this site and a few others I realized this was a common trend in not only the 2007's, but also the 2006's. Now for those of you who actually got the block replaced, did you just get the engine block replaced or the short block replaced? Also, is this an issue that the Honda manufactures are taking care of and will replace the block for a person in my position or does it just depend on which dealership you call and see if they will take care of it for you. I bought my Honda used at Carmax 15 months ago and I didn't buy a warranty. But according to one comment I saw, that Honda extended the warranty from 5 yrs to 8 yrs, well it's not like your going to ask "well if there is a good chance my engine cracks, because it's common on the 2007 Civic's then I better get that extended warranty". If Honda knows this to be a common trend in their 2007 Civics then they sound of had a recall on them. But I can see that if a person doesn't take care of their car and runs it until it "melts" then yes, they are at fault, but how can you prove it, unless you have a log or receipts of your car care. I guess what I am saying is that at 58,000 my Honda Civic shouldn't have a cracked engine block already and if Honda sees a common trend in this then they should take care of the problem and not wait until the buyer is driving down the road and has to pull over and put water or coolant in the radiator because it is over heating on them and then come to find out they have a cracked engine block, which Honda knew was an issue on this year and model.

- , Austin, TX, USA

May 012012

Civic 1.8L

I'm experiencing the same problem as losing antifreeze, my car continues to overheat after going only a mile or so. I have had all regular maintenance done on my car through Honda and the problem had never come up! I took it to them for them to look at and they continue to tell me that it is the Head Gasket and they are wanting over $1700 for the repair. It also vibrates when in reverse. I had no idea that it was a huge issue until i found this site. I do believe it is a manufacturing issue and they should take care of it!

- , Burlington, KY, USA

Sep 072012

Civic LX 1.8L

I must have missed reading the letter from Honda about the extended 8 year warranty on the engine. I noticed a small puddle of coolant on the garage floor. Upon inspection, I can't find a cracked leaking hose or a leaking joint such as the water pump. I noticed the liquid leaking about 3 inches from bottom of front side of engine behind the alternator, and then I had a hunch it might be the block, but with Honda's "quality" reputation I did not believe my eyes. I brought it to an outside shop since the Honda warranty I bought for 5 years was expired. Their diagnosis was cracked engine and I could still not believe it, but the shop owner gave the good news of the 8 year extended warranty. Despite the free engine block replacement by the Honda dealership and car loaner, I am doubtful of ever buying Honda again. I'm worried that the block they replaced might get cracked again in a few years, and might cost me a lot of money for repairs once the extended warranty becomes void.

- , Fairfield, CA, USA

Oct 102012

Civic EX 1.8L

It very sad I bought a used engine which we drove almost 4 hours away. after we put the new engine and start on the car began leaking and the mechanic informed us that we have a cracked block. I still paying that car my next step will be to put a complain in the Honda Dealer and they need to fix it.

What did you recommend me to do?

- , Andover, Mass, USA

Mar 032012

Civic EX E=R 4-C 1.81

One day as I was driving I notice my car was overheating???? after it cool down hubby check it out, well it had no coolant or oil in it??? he kindly refill it after a few choice words to me. Well it happened again about a month later. I found this web site and after reading some of the complaints I knew it must be a crack block! I called the dealer who said could I bring it in today and I did, I told him about what I had read on here and he said Oh"

Well the dealer fixed it for free!!! I didn't have to pay a dime!

So yeah Honda!!!! Thank you! : )

- , alta loma, CA, USA

Mar 152012

Civic LX 1.8L

My Civic started to lose coolant during the harsh winter months. I thought I would be a simple fix like a hose or a freeze plug. It lost very little coolant on a day to day basis and again I thought it was something minor.

One hundred miles from home. I tried to start the car and it would not even crank the engine over. Had the car towed to a Honda dealership and was informed the the engine block was cracked and the coolant leaked on the starter causing the starter and the engine to fail. This vehicle was never abused and I always had the service done.

Honda will fix the problem at no cost to me but I am concerned that the same defective engine replacement parts will be used and I will eventually have the same issues again. I am seriously thinking about trading this vehicle as soon as I get it back from repair. I must comment on the fact that the people at the dealership were very helpful and understanding.

Previous to this issue, I had to replace the oil pressure sensor. The check engine light came on and the cruise control would not operate. This is a safety built into the electrical system which will not allow the vehicle to exceed a certain RPM to avoid damage to the engine from low or no oil pressure. Cost to fix $300.00

- , Winchendon, MA, USA

Mar 052012

Civic LX

I have never had an issue with my civic. My car overheated on the way to work (at night) and when i took it in to get looked at they said it was a 3-4in crack in the block. The mechanic said it looked like it had been cracked or leaking for awhile. I only noticed it hot once. Dealer said it is covered under the warranty unless the heads are warped (sp?). Why should i have to pay for that? If the engine block hadn't cracked the heads wouldnt warp right? They did give me a rental car till they can look at it.

- , Middleburg, FL, USA

Feb 152012

Civic LX 4 cyl

What do we do.? We have always maintian the vehicle regularly. Honda is suppose to last forever. Mechanic says it is a fawl in the block from manufacture. Has anyone else had this problem? call me 573 344 0992. Thanks Don

- , Kennett, MO, USA

Nov 282011

Civic Coupe

I had 2007 Honda Civic now in the garage not working for cracked engine block....Can not drive any where. It's dead now- I hope Honda will fix otherwise I don't have the monies come up to fix

- , Frisco, TX, USA

Jun 242011

Civic EX

I got this car because of I wanted to get out of my old car that kept breaking down. Since I had this car I have had to replace the motor mount $190, the starter $300 and my engine block. On fathers day my car started to run hot. I called the Honda dealership and they said it was a recall on the block and that I could bring it in and get it fixed with no charge. I'm sick of fixing things on this car. I am trading this car in soon.

- , Lakeland, FL, USA

Mar 252011

Civic GX 1.8L

I've always had confidence in Honda products, which is one reason I bought this car. But to say this problem caught me by surprise would be the understatement of the year!

I bought this Honda Civic GX (the natural gas version of the regular civic) because of the allure of the $0.55/gallon cost of fuel. You read that right, I pay anywhere from $0.53 to $1.11 per gallon of gas. That fact, combined with the promise of a car that I expected would run almost forever (because it is a Honda), caused me to plunk down my hard-earned money on this new car.

My wife and I both drive this car and, although it gets lots of use, it is never subjected to harsh driving and is maintained as Honda recommends. Imagine my surprise when a slow leak of coolant on the ground turned out to be a cracked engine block! Crimeny (sp?), there is barely 33,000 miles on this car!!

Yes, Honda was great about repairing the engine, no, there was no charge to me and yes, they were even speedy in the repair. But from what I can tell from my online research, this is a BIG problem with the R18 engine in all Civics from 2006 through 2009. And it appears that Honda, though I don't know this for sure, replaced the engine block with an identical block (meaning that the design flaw that caused my first engine to crack is now waiting like a time bomb in my new engine)!

Honda recognizes that this is a problem and has extended the warranty for this problem to eight years from the current five. However, when my car nears the end of this time period, I will be forced to sell it for fear of incurring this problem again and having to pay the $4,200 repair bill myself. So much for the hope of buying an ultra-reliable Honda!

- , Torrance, CA, USA