2007 Honda Civic steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Civic:

2007 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 302016

Civic

I've had/having several problems with my 2007 Honda Civic that I bought brand new. My back tires have worn very unevenly over the years and because of this car eating tires I've replaced tires almost every 2 years. There is also a popping sound when driving when you make a tight turn. I've also had many problems with my A/C. I've had the blower fan stop working and some component relating to it replaced 3 times. My A/C recently stopped blowing cold air after it spit out frozen freon through my vents. Mechanic has told me my freon was empty and compressor locked up. Now I need to throw money ($1400) at this repair as well!...updated 07/19/16

- Acworth, GA, USA

Jan 212014

Civic

When driving and making left or right turns or U turns, there is a knocking sound coming from the front of the car. This has been happening since I have owned the car(27000 miles). The dealer visually inspected the front end but didn't see anything. The knocking can be felt through the steering and it feels like something is going to break. The car has 51000 miles and the problem still persists.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Feb 012012

Civic

Uneven tire wear. Honda won't replace the bad control arms because I put on snow tires and they said that voids any warranty I would have, I've gone through several sets of tires now. Steering wheel shakes badly anytime I go over 50 mph. Brakes have issues. The car is unsafe and Honda won't do anything about it.

- Meridian, ID, USA

Sep 012011

Civic 4-cyl

Since I got my car with 62,000 miles every time I take it to get oil changes every 3 months the tell me the control arms are bad and causing uneven wear on the tire tread... I get new tires and it only last so long before the car starts to shake because of the uneven wear not even going at a high speed... it makes it harder to stop due to the shaking which scares me when I have to stop suddenly due to other drivers or something in the road..

- Eastham, MA, USA

Jun 022014

Civic 4-cyl

I am having premature tire wear due to a faulty rear control arm. Please help! my car hydroplanes and the vibration on the steering wheel is horrible on the highway.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 162014

Civic 4-cyl

While driving in a residential area at approx 20-25 mph, there was a loud bump as if a rock had hit the underside of the car; shortly the steering was off kilter -- to go straight had to keep the steering wheel turned 30 degrees right; loud rubbing sound; pulled into a driveway and then could not back up -- found that right front tire was bent in, so that top of tire abutted the wheel well. Car towed to dealer -- found strut bolts on right front tire were loose. Car had been serviced one week prior: Replaced failed starter and performed oil change and B service with inspection of brakes and tire rotation.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Oct 042010

Civic 4-cyl

Car is very unstable when subjected to crosswinds. Steering corrections have to be constantly made to keep the car on course. This is extremely dangerous as overcorrections can happen. I notice other similar size cars I'm following on the highway in the same conditions are not nearly affected as I am. I purchased the car used with 60K miles back in 10/2010 and it has always been a problem. I had the rear upper suspension arms replaced (at my expense) with an aftermarket brand to correct the caster problem back into specification and the tires have been replaced but this has not made any difference in the way the car handles in side wind conditions.

- Daphne, AL, USA

May 132013

Civic 4-cyl

I live in Arizona and my car is immaculate. I took my car in to have two service bulletins fixed: 3rd gear pops out/ grinds and knocking noise from front when turning. I thought Honda dealer or american Honda Corp. Would come thru and fix what was inadequately designed/built. The dealer treated me like I was an idiot, and Honda Corp. Said I should have known and reported the problem under warranty. $1700 for 3rd gear, and they denied there was a knocking noise from front end. I didn't even complain about my rear tires wearing badly because they wont wreck my car, like the transmission and engine mount problems. Do they think I'll trade the car into Honda, so I wont have to deal with the problems, and buy a new car from them? I like my sporty Civic, but no, I wont give them my money. Very disappointed in what use to be a good car company.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Feb 042013

Civic 4-cyl

The car goes out of third gear out of nowhere. I have had three close calls on the freeway due to the fact that as your accelerating the gear stops working and leaves the car in neutral when you should be going forward. This causes the car behind you to brake suddenly or you to loose Focus of what's in front of you since you tend to look down to see what the problem is and do not expect you car to be out of gear.

- Covina, CA, USA

Jun 042010

Civic

Started noticing a rough ride and excessive road noise so took my vehicle to a local Honda dealer for alignment and was told the noise was due to tire wear. Over the past year two repair places that have replaced my oil have told me the tire wear was due to worn out struts. This spring the dealer finally told me it was a common problem caused by the upper control arms and it would cost close to $400 to replace them. My airbag sensor light had been on most of the time for the last couple of years and the Honda dealer told me during this visit that this is also a common problem and if I didn't get it fixed my airbags would not deploy in case of an accident. This problem would require replacement of a wire harness for nearly $1300. I contacted american Honda to see if there were recalls for these problems and they agreed to replace the control arms for $75 and the wiring harness for $375 but I only had 60 days to complete the repairs for this price. I got the arms replaced but didn't have the money to get new tires or replace the harness. I have noticed a significant loss of traction and the noise and vibration are so bad now that I can hardly drive the car. These both appear to be engineering issues that affect safety of the Honda Civic and recalls should be issued to prevent accidents.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Oct 232011

Civic

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic si. The contact was driving 55 mph when the power steering failed and the steering wheel began to turn erroneously. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the VIN was unavailable. The failure and the current mileages were 99,000.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 032011

Civic 4-cyl

2007 Honda Civic hybrid 1.) while driving at random times and different speeds the power steering will go out. This has happened on the freeway and while driving into town. I was very unsafe on the freeway. In the passing lane when this occurred and had to try to steer over to the emergency lane. 3.) took it to Honda dealer in salem a couple of months ago and had the recalled voltage converter replaced and told them about it. Nothing apparently happened to correct it still having the problem.

- 97308-Oooo, OR, USA

Mar 072011

Civic

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. While driving approximately 40 mph, the power steering failed and the steering wheel became abnormally firm. The contact was able to maneuver the steering wheel and took the vehicle to the dealer where he was advised that the electronic power steering module would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Dallas , TX, USA

Jul 062010

Civic

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the vehicle would shake while driving at various speeds. The tires were rotated and rebalanced; however, the failure continued to occur. He stated that because of the failure, the tires have also started to wear prematurely. Honda was notified and case # N012010-07-0800621 was filed. The dealer was contacted and the vehicle will be repaired. The failure and current mileages were 25,000.

- Kelseyville , CA, USA

Jan 052010

Civic

Lost power steering while driving. Had to attempt to pull over. Turn off car to reset power steering. Found this in the manual. Took car to dealer - they said the battery was failing and it was effecting the computer that ran the power steering. Happpened on 1/5/2010 and again on 3/19/2010 took car to dealer again they said that they unplugged the modules and hope that fixed the problem. They will not replace the modules until they try this "fix".

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

May 222009

Civic

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic. In April of 2009, the steering wheel shook and vibrated drastically while driving 65 mph. The vehicle was serviced for the issue, but the failure still persists. The contact stated that Honda has not been helpful with getting this issue resolved. He would like the failure to be investigated for a manfacturer defect. The failure mileage was 34,339.

- Quincy, MA, USA

Dec 142007

Civic

Premature tire wear leading to loud rear axle noise, and tire failure. First set of tires failed after 14000 odometer miles. Second set at 37000 odometer miles. The dealer indicated that there is defective weld in the control arms.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Jul 172008

Civic

Purchased 2007 Honda Civic ex on 3/10/07. On 8/7/07 took car in for routine maint. Oil pan drain plug replaced. On 8/9/07 steering system made noise when turning. Took to dealer, no problem found. On 10/8/07 took car back to dealer with same issue. Dealer said "during assembly some rear wheel speed sensors may have been improperly installed and do not seal the hub assembly. Sensors were inspected and they deemed no repair necessary. On 12/26/07 took car to dealer for same noise when turning wheel. Steering wheel locked up when driving!! when accelerating, car made a whining type of noise. Dealer kept my car over night and found P/S pump whining due to no fluid in system. P/S rack was leaking. Power steering reservoir was empty. Found power steering rack leaking from both ends. Replaced power steering rack and realigned wheels. On 7/7/08 took car to dealer, steering wheel locked up again while driving. Still have noise when turning the steering wheel back and forth. Dealer kept my car for 3 days without giving a loner to me. When dealer did diagnostic, they pulled up 7 codes and stated "gauge control lost communication, may be old codes related to past repairs. Did not find a cause for steering to lock. Found that the noise when turning the wheel was caused from the seal at the firewall was rubbing on steering shaft. Corrected insulation and found when at idle and turning wheel, hood vibrated and made a noise. They adjusted rubber stoppers and rechecked saying it is all ok. Now, today on 7/17/08 I had steering wheel lock up on me for a brief second. Took my car to a mechanic I know and they told me to fill out this form. They said the noise I hear in my steering column should have been fixed by dealer. I called dealer at 3 pm today and will be taking my car back to dealer tomorrow morning at 9. my car is still randomly having the steering freeze on me when driving, the noise when turning my steering wheel, and I now have a crackling noise in my A/C!

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Mar 232008

Civic

(1) recurrent (2) driver-side visor defect rendering it inoperable. Due for another replacement on July 7, 2008 2) power steering leaks (2). Due for another repair/replacement on July 7, 2008.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Sep 192007

Civic

The contact was driving a 2007 Honda Civic, a company vehicle. While driving 30 mph onto an on-ramp, the contact lost control of the vehicle and it flipped over. Prior to losing control, the steering wheel shook. She thought she had struck something, but it was actually the steering wheel shaking. The front seat passenger sustained a fractured wrist. The vehicle was destroyed. NHTSA campaign id number 07V399000 (service brakes, hydraulic:antilock:wheel speed sensor) was referenced. A police report was filed and the contact has pictures. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Enfield , CT, USA