2.3

2008 Honda Civic accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Civic:

2008 Honda Civic Owner Comments

May 192016

Civic

Left front visor cracked along spine and no longer stays in the upright position. Very unsafe, would like to know where I can go to get fixed.

- Darien, IL, USA

Jul 012016

Civic

Driver side and passenger side visor failure.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jun 222016

Civic

There was a class-action suit regarding the Honda Civic 2008's sun visors. I received notice of this some time ago. As I had been parking in a garage for most of the time, my visors were fine. Since I switched jobs, and now park outdoors during the days, my right, passenger side visor has broken as the suit described. This happened, however, after the deadline for the settlement of the suit. I am now missing my passenger side visor and I expect the driver side to fail at any moment. It can fall while I'm driving, which is disconcerting.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jun 172016

Civic

Driver's side sun-visor split at the rear edge while driving. This limited the motion of the visor causing it to be flipped down while driving obscuring the view of the road for the driver. This caused driver distraction.

- Florence, MA, USA

Jul 022016

Civic

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Civic. While driving 60 mph, the visor on the driver's side became detached. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and no repairs were made. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 182015

Civic

I have a 2008 Honda Civic LX and was driving down the highway when the visor suddenly fell in my point of view. Thankfully I was at a good cruising speed with no one around me. I read about the the civil suit and the supposed 100K mile extended warranty but when I took into the Honda dealership they denied paying for my visor saying the vehicle was to old. I only have 92K on the car and I think this should of been a recalled safety violation because if someone would of happened to be in front of me slowing down I would have lost most of my time to be able to brake.

- Madison , WI, USA

Nov 142013

Civic 4-cyl

I was blinded by the sun and nearly had an accident due to being unable to adjust my sun visor. This is not the first time I have had this problem with the visor. The original visor was replaced by Honda after it split apart at one of the hinges and didn't work properly. I believe that Honda replaced the original visor with an identical visor, rather than having the visor redesigned to correct the flaw, because the replacement visor eventually split apart in the very same way that the original visor split apart. I have now had to get the replacement visor replaced and I am on my third visor. This is not acceptable as a functional sun visor is a basic piece of equipment that is essential to safety. I expect better of Honda.

- Glendora, CA, USA

Nov 082012

Civic 4-cyl

The visor dropped down, affecting the visibility. It does not stay back up, Honda refuses to replace it as a defect.

- West Hills, CA, USA

Civic 4-cyl

Sun visor on the driver side was broken for no known reason. I searched this problem on web, and found many similar cases/complaints for the Honda Civic. Honda should do a recall for this problem. The broken sun visor blocks driver's view, and can cause safety problems.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Civic

Right and left sunvisors both split at seems and falling down. Melted from extreme heat and the right visor has now completely come off of metal bar. Calling Honda dealer in the morning to report and ask that both be replaced at no charge. This does fall under the class action lawsuit against Honda for sunvisor defect.

- Granite City, IL, USA

Aug 222012

Civic 4-cyl

After the recall for the sun visor melting, I got both the driver side and passenger visor replaced last year. Its been one year and they melted again. Honda repaired them but I do not want to have to go in every year for a replacement. They need to fix the underlying issue. The warranty was extended but only for 100,000 miles or 7 years. If they continue to use the same visor, then after 7 years or 100K miles, it will still be a hazard. My friend in arlington also has the same make and model and she is having the same issue with the already recalled and replaced visors.

- Sort By: Agency, TX, USA

Civic 4-cyl

I had bought my car new in March 2008. It is 4+ years since and due to work commute I have accrued more than 132K miles on it. This summer, about last week, suddenly both the sun visors got cracked about 2 days apart. I was heading out for lunch, and I flipped up the sun visors to remove the sun reflecting sheet from the windscreen. And the sun visors simply cracked. Now the sun visors are not staying up and it partially blocks my view all the time. Keeping the sun visors turned to the side also is not very practical. I looked up online to learn that the sun visors in 2008 Civics have a manufacturing defect that causes them to crack ( visorsettlement.com/ ). when I went to the dealer to fix it, unfortunately they can't be fixed for free because the visor warranty was extended only till 100K miles and I am already at 132K+ miles. Honda should replace the visors regardless of the mileage because it is a manufacturing defect and not the user's fault. Does the extended warranty of just 100K miles mean that Honda is not responsible for its own fault after that limit? I would appeal Honda to fix the sun visors for me for free. Just because I have to commute more for work everyday does not mean that this class action settlement right be taken away from me.

- Hillsborough, NC, USA

Jul 172012

Civic 4-cyl

I noticed that 2 days ago it was raining inside my car I bought the car brand new off of the lot in 2008. The areas that are leaking/collecting water are where the side front airbag is located, along with the windshield, and side of the door. Called the dealer they are telling me that my warranty has expired therefore I will need to replace the windshield and other components (roof, airbags, etc.) the car has never been in an accident or anything and now I am almost scared to drive it since they are telling me that it is the windshield I am petrified that it will implode soon. This seems extremely dangerous now I am unsure that if I get in an accident because of the water what if my airbag won't work upon impact? what happens if the windshield implodes while I am driving this issue is an accident waiting to happen.

- Monroe, NC, USA

Oct 012011

Civic 4-cyl

I had pulled off the freeway exit and proceeded to follow the cars ahead of me as the traffic signal light had turned green and did not necessitate me stopping, only slowing down to continue my left hand turn onto the surface street. Suddenly without warning the sun visor flipped down without being touched and hit me in the forehead. The hard plastic edge hit me relatively quickly and knocked my prescription glasses off. There was a moment when I had my vision obscured and did not see the vehicle in front of me come to a rather sudden stop. I narrowly escaped hitting the back bumper of the vehicle ahead of me. Fortunately I was traveling at a relatively low rate of speed, maybe 20 mph which probably would have caused minor damage, if any. However, people can be injured by whiplash even in low speed rear-end collisions. I have secured the visor with a bungee cord for the moment because the dealership wants to charge customers for this defective part plus labor and it is not cheap. I am afraid that the bungee cord might snap and cause a different sort of injury; however, there really is no way it will stay up against the interior cabin roof without it. I would like to add that I recall my 2002 Honda Civic had the exact same problem which occurred on both the driver's side and passenger's side at different times. Also, at certain times of the day the sun is so blinding in California where I live that it is extremely hazardous to not be able to see the road and highway signs and lights without the assistance of a visor to block the glaring, bright light of the sun. In my estimation it is only a matter of time before this obvious defect causes a major fatality accident.

- Redlands, CA, USA

Jun 012010

Civic 4-cyl

Both sun visors on our Honda Civic would not work and then eventually the glue melted and they cracked and fell off. We have no way of securing our visors and have recently heard of a recall. I can't find my VIN number within the limitations of the recall but I don't feel like I should have to pay for the repair.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 052012

Civic 4-cyl

The drivers side visor stuck and crack opened the plastic assembly by which it holds itself to the visors metal rod in the ceiling. After removal the thing that makes the visor swivel front and back is in fact the thing stuck(metal clip) and seems it may not be secured to the visor which at some point will brake the visor open as it happened, the passengers side visor is starting to get tight.

- Bayamon, PR, USA