2008 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Civic:

2008 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 242014

Civic

Occasionally, when "cruise" option is turned on (but not engaged or "set"), my Honda Civic acts as if the cruise control is engaged. That is, when I remove my foot from the gas pedal, the expected deceleration does not happen. The car continues to travel at the same speed. Only when the brakes are applied, the car starts to slow down. This mimics the expected behavior of the car when cruise control is engaged even when cruise option is not used. In fact, on some occasions, the car jerks a bit when I lift my foot off the gas pedal just like when the cruise control is engaged.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jun 022014

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving approximately 68 mph on cruise control, the vehicle accelerated independently up to 80 mph. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000. Updated 8/11/14

- Springfield , OH, USA

Jun 042012

Civic

I was parking in a high school parking lot. I "rolled" into the space and when I applied the brakes the engine "accelerated". I went over the cement block at the front of the space and through a chainlink fence and onto the sidewalk. Usually, that walkway is filled with children. I initially thought the floormat got caught up under the gas pedal. I took pictures immediately and it did appear that exacerbated the problem. Bell Honda in phoenix said "they could not repeat the problem" and dismissed me. It has since happened to my daughter and husband. Fortunately they both applied the emergency brake. After the last time, we took the car to superstition springs Honda. They said "they could not repeat the problem and nothing has come from Honda." I have read where others have had this problem. I just thank god that so far no one has been killed or that the car didn't surge over a cliff on our trip to yellowstone.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Nov 062013

Civic

When I pulled into a parking space the car suddenly accelerated, flew over concrete and into post, breaking postand and over a shopping cart at which point car was wedge over cart and grassy knoll. The acceleration was very loud and very, very fast.

- Westminster, MD, USA

Mar 202013

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while attempting to merge into traffic with the brakes engaged, the vehicle lunged forward without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 50,000.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Apr 282012

Civic

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Civic. The contact was driving 30 mph when she lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a stone wall. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis but the dealer was unable to diagnose a failure within the vehicle. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileage was 27,500.

- Sewuckley , PA, USA

Sep 122011

Civic

First thing this morning I tried to set my cruise control at 65 mph, but it didn't work. The speed of the car kept decreasing, despite several attempts to set the cruise. I turned off the cruise and tried to press the gas pedal to drive, and the same problem occurred. In addition, as I tried to increase my speed, the car made a loud humming sound and the rpms on the dash began to increase. Then an indicator light turned on; after driving for a few minutes, more indicator lights came on, my brake stopped working completely, and my steering wheel locked. My gas pedal also stopped working completely. At this point, as I was going uphill I lost complete control of the car and put the car in park because that was the only way I could stop the car. Smoke began coming from the hood. I had the car towed to the midas in salt lake city at 875 East 2100 South. The service people told me the cars engine had heated so that it melted the equipment under the hood. Later, after a discussion with the Honda corporate office, I found out a recall had been issued in August 2010 for a problem with the engine blocks of 2006, 2008, and some 2009 Civics. The Honda representative said a letter had been sent to Civic owners. However, my experience today showed me the seriousness of this problem. I could have a life-threatening accident today, and when the issue is so grave Honda should call car owners to alert them to the recall. A letter sent out one time is not enough. The midas service representatives told me they had absolutely no information about this recall in their database, which proves how poorly this entire matter has been handled. There are many families out there driving these Civics. Get your cars checked out, and let Honda know that they must take better care and full responsibility for their customers!

- Midvale, UT, USA

Apr 132011

Civic

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Civic. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle surged forward abnormally until abrupt pressure was applied to the brakes. The failure recurred once more while the contact was driving approximately 40 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 28,500.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Dec 292010

Civic

I was driving my 2008 Honda Civic with my daughter, at a speed of about 50mph. I was attempting to make a stop for a traffic light. I realized that the car was not wanting to stop, I pressed harder on the brake. When it came to a stop, the engine was revving at high rpms, I let up on the brake slightly to see if the engine would shut down when it lunged forward. I slammed the brake down again and reached for the downshift, when at the same time the engine came down to an idle. The accelerator had obviously been stuck. I had stopped the vehicle over the white line with my nose out in the intersection. No one was in front of me & no one next to me, thankfully. I called a local Honda dealer, made an appt for that afternoon. My husband and I were waiting in the customer area for about 5 minutes when we were informed by the dealer employee that the two mechanics had called in & said that they had duplicated the action I reported & that the car was unsafe to be on the road, for us to leave it & they would take care of it. The mechanic who drove it, confirmed it to me personally. The cars computer didn't register the two events. The dealer told us they couldn't fix it if the computer wouldn't tell them what to fix. Honda's regional rep was called in on Jan 10 & deemed it as safe to drive. (Honda's rep deemed the car that the dealer employee had told us was "unsafe to be on the road" as being "safe"!). Jan 10, we requested to speak with Honda rep, Jan 11, no contact from Honda rep after service manager left 1 voice mail, 2 E-mails. (asked for reps #, refused) switched courtesy cars with dealer, requested the "description" of events on service ticket reflect the two mechanics statement about experiencing the "stuck accelerator". Jan 12, still waiting to speak with Honda rep and revised service ticket. Dealer still has our Honda. I am concerned for the safety of myself & others if I drive it without Honda repairing it. Please help us resolve this.

- Eolia, MO, USA

Oct 232010

Civic 4-cyl

2008 Honda Civic repeatedly has failed to stop (three separate incidents, three different drivers). Honda refuses to replace vehicle. The consumer also stated, the vehicle would not start. Updated 09/20/12

- Farnington Hills , MI, USA

Sep 062009

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Civic hybrid. While driving 10 mph the vehicle was not responsive. As he depressed the accelerator pedal the vehicle moved slowly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who informed him that they were aware of the problem but the vehicle was functioning the way it was designed. The manufacturer was notified and stated that they are familiar with the failure and since it was designed that way there was no way to repair it. The failure mileage was 31,000. Updated 01/12/11 updated 02/09/11 the consumer stated due to suspected battery failure, Honda offered a software update to prolong the battery. The consumer did not get the software update it may have reduced the fuel economy. Updated 03/08/11

- Pasadena , CA, USA

Sep 142010

Civic

The car will not resond properly from stopped postion when acceleration is needed.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Aug 272010

Civic

I received the software update on my 2008 Honda Civic hybrid on August 27,2010. Immediately after retrieving it, I had problems with acceleration. A safety issue when merging onto highway traffic. The problems have not resolved since then and I am always fearful that one day I will get rear-ended as I merge because the car can't accelerate fast enough.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Jun 032010

Civic

I was pulling into a parking spot turning left and as I had my foot on the brake my car jolted foward and hit the an island the was next to the parking spot.

- Tewksbury, MA, USA

Jan 232010

Civic

On January 23, 2010, I was involved in a single automobile accident, on highway 111, in indian wells, ca. Roads were wet that day. I recall my vehicle hydro-planing and spinning out of control. That is the last I recall, as I believe I was knocked unconscious, I awoke minutes later to find myself still in the drivers seat, to find my back seat engulfed in flames. I managed to free myself from my seat belt and get out through the drivers side window. As managed to get on my feet I walked away from the vehicle just in time for it to explode.. O my next concern is as doing some research after the accident, I came across some interesting information regarding a recall on that type of vehicle. I purchased my vehicle in June 2008, and recall letters were sent out on October 2008. I never received such a letter. I am concerned to what caused my vehicle to catch fire and explode. I contacted a Honda mtg. Company, and spoke to a case manager and opened a claim. On March 31, 2010, I received a phone call from him, and he said that there was no recall on such vehicle. My personal opinion, he came to that conclusion based on a list of VIN numbers., no investigation was done as far as checking the vehicle or taking the time to find out if my vehicle was just one that was bypassed and not put on the VIN list. I personally do not feel that they put much effort in finding out why my vehicle exploded. I am now stuck with a balance, medical bills, and no vehicle. Please help me in this matter, for I feel this matter was not taken seriously.

- Cathedral City, CA, USA

Dec 132008

Civic

The contact has a 2008 Honda Civic. The contact stated that there was a speed control issue with the vehicle. While going up hill the vehicle started to accelerate when the driver applied the brake to stop the vehicle. The contact said the vehicle did stop, but when the driver started to make a right turn, the vehicle speed off from the light even though the driver lightly pressed on the gas. This is the only time that this failure has happened. The failure and current mileage was 6008.

- Maldin, MA, USA

Nov 222009

Civic

I had an incident with my 2008 Honda Civic. I was pulling into the church parking lot and turned to park in the grass next to another vehicle when I lost the steering and then suddenly the car jumped forward out of control and crashed into a tree about 10 ft in front of me. I thought the gas pedal had stuck but the adjustor was not able to confirm that this was the case. I never put my foot on the gas pedal-I was braking and going less than 10 mi/hr at the time. I have been unable to find out what caused the car to leap forward and accelerate. I have had no other incidents with this vehicle. I have put around 35,000 miles on the car mostly highway driving.

- Englewood, FL, USA

May 122009

Civic

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Civic. When approaching a complete stop the vehicle would lurch forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealership for inspection. The technician concluded that since the failure could not be duplicated a failure could not be provided. The current and failure mileages were 6864.

- Newrochelle, NY, USA

Sep 112009

Civic

Like in complaint #10225955, my 2008 Civic 4-dr ex-L sporadically refuses to stop. It has happened three times so far, at different speeds, in different weather, with and without the cruise control on. I will lightly push the brake to slow down, and then push slightly harder once I've reached the crosswalk/intersection to come to a complete stop. Instead of stopping, the car will lunge forward once or twice. It's like the brake is on but the engine is still trying to accelerate, and is absolutely terrifying. I've brought it into the dealer once and was told that it was normal downshifting of gears while coming to a stop--but that should not cause the car to actually jolt forward, stop, and then jolt forward again, with my foot squarely on the brake the entire time. (I looked down at my feet the third time it happened because I wondered if I was pressing the gas by mistake. I wasn't.) I'm bringing it into the dealer again, but am not hopeful that they will figure out the problem.

- Verona, NJ, USA

Jun 082009

Civic

1. I attempted to turn left on a busy 6 lane farm to market road. When there was an opening in traffic I pressed the accelerator and the car moved out into the traffic lanes, but with greatly reduced acceleration. My hybrid had lost the electric motor assist needed to accelerate normally. I was almost broadsided by a speeding SUV because I could not accelerate out of the way quickly. 2. this loss of electric motor assist or integrated motor assist (ima) started off happening once or twice a month. Now it is happening a couple of times a week. There is no audible or visual warning light that this loss has occurred. The only evidence is the loss of acceleration and the battery charge level will drop from "normal" (6 or 7 bars) to one or two "bars" on the battery charge display. This unexpected loss of normal acceleration can be very dangerous when merging into busy traffic. It is only after the driver commits that they discover they cannot accelerate "normally" 3. I have taken the vehicle to the Honda dealership five times and opened a case at american Honda. Their position is that since they can't replicate the failure, they can't fix the problem. After doing my own research, I discovered that this loss of acceleration is due to a programmed function in their ima system. The system is designed to periodically reset the state of charge for the battery pack to a minimal value to eliminate accumulated errors. When this happens, the electric motor assist is disabled and the system uses the electric motor to recharge the battery pack. The problem is that this "reset" occurs at the worst possible time; when the vehicle is stopped and the driver needs the high torque/low RPM electric motor to provide adequate acceleration. In my opinion, this unannounced reset function at a stop is a design flaw and makes this vehicle dangerous to operate.

- Jersey Village, TX, USA