3.2

2010 Honda Civic drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Honda Civic:

2010 Honda Civic Owner Comments

May 142015

Civic

When turning left or right or veering left or right the rear tires (mainly the left one) screeches and sounds like metal is grinding on metal. It is coming from somewhere in the tire to middle of the suspension. But when going straight or stopping there is no noise.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

May 112014

Civic 4-cyl

Day1: I have a 2010 Honda Civic ex-L sedan with mileage of 95-100K. I was traveling at approximately 40-mph (best guess-timate), the vehicle check engine light came on, green light next to drive (D) began flashing and vsa indicator was lit too; vehicle seemed to be a bit jerky shifting. Took it into Honda and they changed transmission fluid, as well as replaced the 3rd gear pressure switch. Day 3: I experienced a similar problem, with the additional symptom of the speedometer display fluctuating wildly / reading too low or zero values. The local Honda dealership performed a computer update, cleared error codes, and a 10-min test drive did not recreate the issue. Day4: While gently accelerating to 45-mph, my check engine light appeared and the speedometer abruptly dropped to near "zero". it was at this point that the transmission abruptly down-shifted to either 1st or 2nd gear and caused the tires to screech (as if I had jammed on the brakes, but I had not). The abrupt deceleration of my vehicle nearly caused an accident with the car behind me, who was also accelerating and narrowly avoided rear-ending my vehicle (I imagine because of the sudden deceleration without warning of brake lights). This time, before returning to dealership, I performed online research and when I did return to that dealership, I suggested they check the engine's speed sensor. Sure enough, they ended up replacing the speed sensor and haven't had the problem since (3 weeks now). I'm reporting now because of my concern this malfunction could occur to someone else and cause their vehicle to be rear-ended.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Jun 282013

Civic 4-cyl

There has been a clicking noise on occasions when I turn left or right at slow speeds. The dealer sloane Honda assessed the problem but was not able to replicate the issue. I noticed the sound in 2013 +/- and I requested it to be checked out during upcoming service appointments.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 012013

Civic 4-cyl

Took 2010 Honda Civic to the Honda dealership with complaints of clicking in front end. Was advised that vehicle cv joint had failed. Vehicle had approx 19,000 miles at replacement. Cv joint failure at high rate of speed could have been dangerous.

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 192010

Civic 4-cyl

Car stalls and also sputters, feels like it is going to stall. This will occur when vehicle is slowing down (ex: Traffic) and the rpms will drop causing the vehicle to stall or almost stall. If vehicle doesn't stall rpms will shoot back up. In addition, shifter will get stuck when going from reverse into drive, drive into mark, and vise versa.

- Forked River, NJ, USA