2012 Honda Civic drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda Civic:

2012 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 062016

Civic

For manual transmissions rpms remain high even after foot is off the gas pedal consequently making it impossible to match rpms and causing premature failure to friction disks (clutch). Un necessary wear causing 1200+ in repairs. Brakes locked up on highway.. lost control spun 5 times and even after new alternator.. the RPM never reduces properly.. had in shop 3 X's set at your spec is wrong to make brake elease jerk, car shake at lights and causes me to rear end another car. 2/6/16

- Cortland, NY, USA

Jun 112014

Civic

For manual transmissions rpms remain high even after foot is off the gas pedal consequently making it impossible to match rpms and causing premature failure to friction disks (clutch). Un necessary wear causing 1200+ in repairs. Has failed twice now in less than 80,000 miles first failure under 30,000

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Aug 242015

Civic

The contact owns a 2012 Honda Civic. While parking, the vehicle lunged forward and crashed into the front of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact stated that there were no injuries sustained and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 15,000.

- North Hills, CA, USA

Aug 122014

Civic

The contact owns a 2012 Honda Civic. While shifting from first to second gear, a loud noise emitted from the vehicle. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Dec 042013

Civic

When turning the steering wheel right and left, there is a loud clanking noise. It happens 95% of the time. The dealer told me it was the power steering fluid (even though there is no power steering fluid as the 2012 model has an electronic system). The noise has continued and gets worse. They told me other models had a recall on the driveshaft which may be the issue but they cant do anything unless I pay out of pocket because my car was not under the recall.

- Atascocita, TX, USA

Jul 112015

Civic

The vehicle had a dragging noise coming from under the car and then a whole chunk of metal fell off from under the car

- Miami Beach, FL, USA

Jun 012013

Civic 4-cyl

This has happened more than once. When descending a hill after letting up on gas pedal the vehicle will rev up for a few of seconds and hitting the brakes did not disengage throttle, also when passing another vehicle after pulling in and let up on pedal the car still revved up for a couple of seconds. Have not taken to a dealer yet as I am trying to find exactly how and when this problem occurs so I can get the dealer to reproduce this problem (speed, road conditions, and any other conditions that might cause this problem). As we all know they can never get the problems to reproduce.

- Ilion, NY, USA

May 272014

Civic 4-cyl

I was driving on an exit ramp from a highway, car was coasting, and as I was approaching the stop sign, I applied the brakes softly, the car started slowing down further due to braking and then suddenly came to a brutal stop with tires screeching. Engine was stalled, automatic gear had shifted in neutral by itself, and there was a burning smell in the car. Fortunately there was no car behind me, otherwise it would have not been possible to prevent being rear-ended. The 25 mph speed is approximate as I was decelerating. A similar situation on a highway when traffic slows down could have dramatic consequences, causing a pile-up and possibly multiple deaths and injuries. I will drive the car very carefully to the dealership today. The car was purchased certified pre-owned yesterday.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

May 252012

Civic 4-cyl

I have a Honda Civic si 2012, 6 gears manual transmission, I was at a stop sign when I started moving forward, shifted to first gear fine then second gear, but when I tried shifting to third gear it lock me out from shifting into it and my friend and I started to smell burn clutch I tried to shift back to second gear and it wouldn't let me. I had to pull over until the vehicle let me shift into first gear. This type of incidents keep on happening so I called Honda customer service for them to fix it and I also gave them the NHTSA campaign number: 12V256000, Honda said they couldn't find a recall for my vehicle and I need to take it up with my local dealership. Now my vehicle has 29,000 and it does not move due to the power train just does not engage. Can I get help so I may drive my vehicle please help I am just getting harass by Honda. I do not have a phone can I be contacted by email.

- Cathedral City, CA, USA

Mar 162014

Civic 4-cyl

Car will roll backwards while in drive (automatic transmission). I was in my driveway that is uphill. I let off the brakes and the car started to roll backwards. I conducted more tests and found it does this regardless of the grade. I also tested our 2 other cars and neither did this. I called the dealership and they said it is normal. I called Honda (file # N012014-03-1702499) and they said it is normal. I feel that this is unsafe. I'm 41 yrs old have been driving for 25 yrs, I have never been in an automatic car that will drift backwards in drive. This is dangerous for people who are not used to this and not informed that the cars will do this.

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Sep 062013

Civic 4-cyl

Shift cable is loss - causing longer gear and sometimes almost impossible to shift.

- Hazleton, PA, USA

Jul 112013

Civic 4-cyl

My 2012 Honda Civic rolled back while on a steep incline and in drive. Instead of transmission staying engaged it allows the car to roll back as if it were in neutral.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

May 202013

Civic 4-cyl

Some clicking noise coming from under the hood when car the is accelerating to shift gears, this only happens when the car is started first thing and then if you let the car sit for 5 minutes. The clicking happens only 2 times in a row and then when the car accelerates over 10 miles the clicking stops.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Apr 152013

Civic

First purchase brand new 2012 Honda Civic in November 2011, ran really great for first six thousand miles. Just under ten thousand I notice gas mileage got a lot worse and the check emission light comes on. Take it in to shop and they say oh thermostat is bad. Well thought strange at time car is new. Then at just under 14000 miles gas mileage is bad and engine revs at high RPM's check emission light comes on again. This time it was a software update"?? well then at under 17000 miles check emission light again and this time in shop for three weeks. Thermostat again. Try calling american Honda and I get the sales manager who needs an attitude adjustment, and he says there is nothing wrong with my car. Then I am told by the service shop that this in no way has harmed anything and they replace thermo again run some test and still runs hot so they do it again and still runs hot and then Honda decides on a different thermostat that hasn't been released yet and install it. Well three weeks later I get my car and all I asked for was an extended warranty and they send me one that they want me to sign to release the of any powertrain issues and cooling issues. Cooling issues I understand but powertrain really I thought there was nothin wrong with my car???? all this time I am dealing with the rudest american Honda company customer service. Really upsets someone spend there hard earned money every month on a car payment and its like going to the store and paying for moldy bread. Not one time do they think about the consumer. Also interesting when picking car up on Friday they have another 2012 Civic low miles in shop for same issue. I live in a town in wv with 28,000 people and 1 Honda dealer coincidence"

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Feb 152012

Civic 4-cyl

I bought a fully loaded 2012 Honda Civic si sedan, with navigation. Car was wonderful first few weeks, then the issues started. When I engaged the clutch into 1st gear, also reverse, when I would level the clutch with the gas pedal, I would hear a high pitch noise. Kind of like a squeal. In all types of conditions. It is worse in the snow, rain, up a hill, and what not. I took it to my local Honda dealership, the tech testdrove it with me. He heard the noise, he said that he heard it. He thinks it was something hitting the clutch-plate. He said oh Honda is not gong to fix this due to your style of driving I said excuse me" he said well there is no need to have an intake, and an exhaust. By the magnuson-moss warranty act of 1975 it states: If a vehicle is bought new, and you put aftermarket parts on it, just because there are aftermarket parts, it does not void the warranty. If the dealership realizes the issue, and just verbally says they can't fix it due to the parts, without even lifting the car up, that is illegal. They have to find the issue, and say why the aftermarket parts are affecting the clutch. I then called the dealership owners son, he said email me the issues, and the VIN. I did, he forwarded it to the customer service manager. When he received the email, there was a corporate Honda representative there. He read my email, and said that they need to look at it. The manager called me, said he received the email that I sent the owner, he said they have to re-make the sound again, even tho they heard it, and put me threw the ringer again. There are also alot of parts inside that need to be replaced. So I have an appointment next Tuesday, hopefully for them to see the issues. There are many people on forums for the 12 si, 9th gen, that are complaining also. The Honda rep said that it was normal in many clutches to hear a high pitched noise"

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Jan 112013

Civic 4-cyl

When making a left turn at a busy and dangerous intersection I lost power for several seconds. I managed to pull onto the shoulder until the car accelerated again. I had called the dealership previously about this recurring problem. I took the car into the service department of the dealership prior to the date of this incident and the problem could not be replicated. Because of safety concerns I traded the car in with mileage at less 2000.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Feb 012012

Civic

The contact owns a 2012 Honda Civic. The contact stated that when attempting to accelerate or complete a turn, the vehicle would hesitate without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where they advised him that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 15. The current mileage was approximately 7,000.

- Audubon, NJ, USA

Dec 122012

Civic

The contact owns a 2012 Honda Civic. The contact stated as the vehicle entered the driveway on an incline the vehicle began to move in reverse. The gear shift was in drive when the failure occurred three times. There was also a clanking noise when the gears changed automatically and whenever the contact made a left or right turn the steering wheel did not return to its normal position. The vehicle will be taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 994.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

Sep 012012

Civic

2012 Honda Civic. Consumer writes in regards to defective vehicle and clunking noise coming from gear shift. The consumer stated the windshield wipers would leave lines and smears on the windshield. The wipers were replaced four times. There was a buzzing noise coming from the heater, the passenger air bag light illuminated and stayed on for an hour. The dimmer lights didn't change from high to low, the seat belts did not release when she moved forward, instead it locked up and there was a smell of carbon monoxide coming through the vents. The rubber slides in each window did not work correctly, because of the moisture on the windows.

- Bluemont, VA, USA

Jul 172012

Civic 4-cyl

When the car is parked in a downward slope facing down, and you engage the reverse gear, the car rolls forward. This is especially difficult to control if you are parked in a tight spot and you will roll and hit the car in front of you. We reported this to Honda corporation and they said that this is normal behavior. I do not agree, since my other car (different make/model) does not perform the same.

- Independence, KY, USA