2012 Honda Civic seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda Civic:

2012 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 102014

Civic

I have had several issues with my airbag stating there is an airbag error in my car. I took it to Honda and they confirmed that in their computer it shows that there is something wrong with the driver side airbag but they don't know what. They told me in order to check it they would have to take the car apart and I will have to pay $300 up front just to check it. They also stated that it isn't covered in the warranty even though my car has never been in a car accident and it is a major safety issue. I have not been able to get it fixed because I cannot afford for them to even just look at my car. What is the point of having a 6 yr warranty coverage if Honda doesn't want to cover anything! over the summer I had a drainage leak that was coming from the electrical fuse in my car, guess what Honda did not care!... these days I think a bicycle would be the safest thing... lol... suffice it to say life is expensive and I don't think we will be getting a break. Thanks Honda for only caring about your sales & money and not caring about your customers safety! lives! families! wives! husbands! & children!

- Clarksburg , MD, USA

Dec 122012

Civic

Ever since I bought the Honda Civic 2012, I've had problems. The first problem is the air bags turning on and off. Apparently, the air bags turn off if a child/someone is under 100 pounds. However, all my previous ex's were around 110 pounds, so the airbags turn off or on. I would hate to have one of my girlfriends die because of a crash where the airbag did not go off. Second problem: The car will not start multiple of times! I had my battery checked multiple times and it is not the alternator, either! apparently the steering wheel problem or the security system drains the battery. I had to buy a rechargeable battery and jumper cables which I carry in my trunk because I am tired of calling my insurance company or security at that location to jump start my car.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jan 102015

Civic 4-cyl

On Saturday January 10 2015 I was driving I was coming to a intersection when the stop light change I press on my brakes and my car did not stop even after I was pumping it. It did nothing my steering became locked the only recourse I had was to pull the emergency brakes to prevent my car from hitting anyone. I ending up in the middle of the intersection. Even after I was able to stop and move my car away the brakes and steering did not work. This is now preventing me from driving since I don't know if and when it might happen again. Also I have notice any one that is sitting in the passenger seat and is seat belted the sensor is not able to recognized that it giving alert that the person need to put on the seat belt this is a safety concern that Honda refuse to acknowledge.....updated 01/23/15

- White Plains, NY, USA

Dec 052014

Civic 4-cyl

Was driving on freeway in heavy traffic, car in front braked, hit brakes and they just went to the floor with no effort to stop the vehicle. Slammed into car in front with our 4 and 5 year old boys in back seat. Geico called the car a total loss. Honda refuses to inspect the car in fear of manufacturer defects. To make it worse the airbags didn't deploy. Roads were dry, no ice or anything else to cause inability to stop.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Oct 192014

Civic 4-cyl

Upon impact the airbag deployed and I had 3 rib fractures and a fractured sternum. I am currently having bursar knee pain. I was taken by ambulance to an emergency room and was later sent to a trauma center er. I had one overnight hospitalization.

- North Wales, PA, USA

Nov 072014

Civic 4-cyl

Driving through parking lot at about 3 miles an hour pedestrian stepped in front of the vehicle I do apply the brakes upon doing so the driver side airbag in the steering column deployed. There was no contact with any other vehicle no damage whatsoever to the car other than the airbag seatbelt deploying. Took the car to the local Honda dealership a representative from Honda America looked up the car and said since there was a scratch on the bumper probably from a shopping cart, that there was sufficient evidence to say that the airbag should've went off. Honda refuses to take responsibility for the repairs for this vehicle that is now unsafe but on the road.

- Blountville, TN, USA

Jul 042014

Civic

The contact owns a 2012 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while at a stop, another vehicle crashed into the driver side of the contact's vehicle. The contact sustained a laceration to the right leg and multiple fractures to the pelvis which required medical attention. The contact believed that all the injuries sustained were caused by the air bags deploying. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 25,210.

- Asbury Park, NJ, USA

Sep 012012

Civic

Every now and then at random times, speeds, etc. The warning light that says "passenger airbag off" comes on. This happens when someone weighing as much as 145 lbs. Is sitting in that seat.....updated 12/15/15

- Shelby Twp., MI, USA

Oct 112014

Civic

I just noticed that everytime I have a lightweight passenger let us say 120 lbs and below, sitting on the passenger's seat on my right a warning would appear on the console that says "air bag passenger" what is that mean" it makes me worried. Does that warning suppose to appear there" please advise. Thank you.

- Porterville , CA, USA

Sep 032014

Civic 4-cyl

The passenger air bag turns off when there is someone in the seat. The passenger is not near the weight minimum, and there is nothing in the back seat pocket that might disturb the sensor. They also are not moving around. I am also not aware of being able to keep the airbag on or manually turning it back on.....updated 01/28/15

- Denver, CO, USA

Nov 042013

Civic 4-cyl

Passenger airbag off light come on and off. It stayed on for a couple of miles and then shut off again. This is not the first time this happened. I don't even know how to turn off my airbag to begin with. Of course I want passenger airbag is always on.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Aug 132014

Civic 4-cyl

While decelerating (sudden), my seatbelt tensioner and airbag deployed with no collision or contact with anything. Initially, the Honda dealer said that the airbag only deploys when there is contact. Both Honda dealer and aaa (my insurance) examined the vehicle and found no sign of collision or damage. Honda has now said that in a sudden deceleration, the airbag is designed to deploy without any contact. The unneeded deployment of the systems could have led to an impact and worse damage.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jul 182014

Civic

I was pulling into a parking lot when another driver pulled out and T-boned my 2012 Honda Civic. The car was hit on the driver side right in the middle where the front driver and back passenger door meet, none of the side curtain airbags deployed. The car now has extensive frame damage... the lumbar support in this car is the absolute worst!! the car also gets terrible gas mileage.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jun 062014

Civic 4-cyl

While driving on I5 headed South to medford, or on June 6, 2014, at around 9:30 pm I struck what appeared to be a small refrigerator which was laying on the highway. There was what appeared to be minor damage to the bumper of the 2012 Honda Civic that I was driving. The sensors for the airbag system were triggered, but the air bags did not deploy. Upon taking the vehicle to the Honda dealership to get repairs, we learned that the harness for the air bag system had been severed.

- Corvallis, OR, USA

Mar 042013

Civic 4-cyl

The driver air bag deployed hitting me in the face. It fractured my orbital bone, put a hole in my eyelid, and forced my cataract lens to rupture falling back into the vitreous towards my retina. I needed immediate eye surgery. I also needed stitches in my forehead and hand. I also had a possible concussion. I have since had 2 more eye surgeries. I lost my peripheral vision and overall vision is blurry. My eye is lower and sunken back in the socket because of the fracture. I still face another surgery to correct my appearance....updated 07/15/14

- Valatie, NY, USA

May 162014

Civic 4-cyl

I came upon stop and go traffic and came to my stop behind the car in front of me. The driver behind me failed to stop and hit the rear of my car. My brake pedal went all the way to the floor as all the electrical parts turned off and on. This included my motor, gauges, and radio. This pushed me into the driver in front of me. I was shocked to see my airbag didn't deploy and that my cars I-mid display showed to check my airbag system. Also my seatbelt didn't lock up fast enough to keep my head from hitting my steering wheel. This caused me to have a strain in my upper lumbar of the right side of my back. Updated 11/24/2014

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Oct 012013

Civic 4-cyl

Purchased vehicle pre-owned with 12K miles. Since purchase, the front passenger seat airbag sensor illuminates and de-luminates when someone is sitting (riding) there (over 100 lbs). To date, there are no recalls. I called Honda cust svc today. Honda svc said to take vehicle to dealer for inspection and if not happy with them, go to another Honda dealer, ie, second opinion. Honda does not accept the fact there is a problem with the sensor for the airbag. If anyone else has this problem please write a letter to whomever you think may be able to help so that Honda will repair the sensor before someone is injured due to this sensor not working properly.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 222014

Civic 4-cyl

I purchased my 2012 Honda Civic on May 14, 2011 from a dealership. It only had 18 miles on it, so naturally I thought this car would last me some years before it needed any kind of repairs. I wish that was true. Well, on March 22, 2014 I was taking a friend home and noticed that my horn/airbag area felt weird. I pulled over to look at it and sure enough there was a crack/slit right where the SRS airbag writing is located. So I called the dealership and they said since I have more than 36,000 miles on it and don't have an extended warranty on it I would have to pay $683 for the part and another $280 something for labor. I said how can you possibly asking me to pay for something that is obviously a defect" why would it crack or split and I was not in any kind of accident? I don't feel that I should pay for it. I only have had this car for almost 3 years and this happened... say I fix it for roughly $1000, in another 3 years I would probably have to fix it again. This doesn't make any sense to me. Well, the technician suggest you fix it because it's dangerous. Wow, really??" I really feel like this car was a bad buy since day one and I truly believe the horn/airbag is a defect. I hope that you look into this matter and help me and others out, so that we don't have to fight with the dealerships for something we didn't have any control over! thank you

- Hayward, CA, USA

Sep 102013

Civic 4-cyl

My daughter has a 2012 Honda Civic. It has not been in a crash, but the drivers air bag is splitting open just below the H in the cover on the steering wheel. I have been in the automotive industry for over 37 years. I repaired them and have worked for an insurance company for the last 30 years. I have never seen this happen before, but I do know that the split is where the air bag would open if there was a deployment. She did buy the car used from another local dealer, but there is no indication of this car being in a crash w/ air bag deployment. It started out small and has grown in size now. You can actually see the air bag. She did take the car back to the dealer where she gets it service and they called and told her that it has been cut and will not take care of it. My daughter is 105 lbs and no way is she going to force this to split like this she would not do anything to damage this car which is what they are indicating. She just bought it this year as her 2001 cavalier was having too many problems. This was her first almost new car. This a serious safety issue and Honda should take care of this under warranty but right now they have declined to take care of it thank you for any help you can give us.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jul 012012

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Honda Civic. The contact stated the passenger side air bag erroneously deactivated while the seat was occupied. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. Updated 03/05/14 the dealer stated it was possible the passenger was sitting incorrectly. Updated 03/11/14

- Camillus, NY, USA