2012 Honda Civic seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda Civic:

2012 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 022016

"takata recall" I was driving Honda Civic 2012 on a frontage road with my wife sitting on the front passenger seat. Unfortunately, other car crashed in my Honda Civic 2012 and driver, passenger side air begs got deployed. Surprisingly, I got injury marks on my hand from the air bag. I suspect most likely there was some fault in my air bags which resulted in injury marks on my hand. I do see that 2012 Honda Civic cars are not part of takata recall but I suspect some of 2012 Honda Civic cars including mine could have faulty air bags installed from the manufacturer. Please take needful actions.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 052016

Takata recall: I brought my 2012 Honda Civic LX into today 6/9/2016 in regal Honda in lakeland, Florida to have the airbag passenger seat sensors replaced, the parts replaced were: Pad, R, F, 81127, opds unit 81334 and C-clip SE 90600. Plus a couple of weeks ago I had the diagnostic performed for $49.95. The symptom was the airbag sensor was being displayed.

- Zephyrhills, FL, USA

May 212016

I don't know what a takata recall is, but per Honda's website I have no recalls. I was in an accident on 5/21 around 2pm. I was driving on a straight city road close to getting on the highway going about 25mph. The woman who was driving next to me "didn't see me" as she turned into my lane. She scraped the whole passenger side door then her car lodged into my car near where the door & front part of the car meet on the passenger side. The car hit right neat the side airbag, but none of the airbags went off. That is what I'm worried about. Why did none of the airbags go off?

- Allison Park, PA, USA

May 112016

SRS airbag light is on...warning light on the screen keeps flashing.

- Meridian, ID, USA

May 072016

This is regarding a Honda Civic 2012. My passenger airbag turns off about every 15 minutes, for about 3 minutes at a time. I took it to a Honda dealership. They had the car for about 7 hours and stated nothing was wrong with the car. I feel this is very dangerous.

- Moorpark, CA, USA

Apr 272016

Part # 77970-TR0-A11 sensor, side impa failure after 20,314 miles. This failure was not the result of any accident. Cost to replace was $251.82 II feel Honda motor co should reimburse

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Sep 072015

Takata air bag recall~ among other possible safety recalls. I purchased this vehicle 9/07/2015 as used from lindsay Honda, columbus, oh.. need to know if there are any safety recalls pertaining to this vehicle. Very concerned.. thank you.. laura G. ellis

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Jul 062015

The sensor that controls the speed of the airbag in the passenger seat, based on the passenger weight, is malfunctioning. I took it to the dealer and was told that the defective part that needs replacing is not on any recall list.

- Saint Marys, GA, USA

Oct 122015

The contact owns a 2012 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated when the front passenger seat was occupied. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jun 072011

Right side passenger door airbag keeps turning on when touched or when leaned on

- Monterey, CA, USA

Sep 182015

Air bag lights coming on and going off saying side air bags off?

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Sep 152015

The contact owns a 2012 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the air bag warning light activated and deactivated when the front passenger seat was occupied. In addition, while driving downhill at approximately 30 mph, the contact crashed into the rear of the preceding vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. The dashboard displayed "air bag system". the vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000........updated 12/08/15

- Bowie, MD, USA

Jun 272015

On Saturday June 27 at approximately 1pm I heard a bubbling sound from the passenger side of the dash. Once the sound ended my passenger air bag warning light came on message not activated.the air bag did not deploy.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 052014

Civic 4-cyl

My son used the car and had a fender bender since then the air bag warning comes on and the bag did not deploy, quite a nuisance to have to deal with every time I start the car. I understand many others are experiencing similar problems and no recall or satisfaction from Honda.

- Auburn, CA, USA

Apr 262015

Civic 4-cyl

During a mild rain event today I drove my car for no more than 35 minutes at no more than 60 mph. When I arrived at my destination, I noticed a wet spot where the driver's side curtain airbag cover meets the interior roof cover along the a pillar. I suspect that water is leaking in near the junction of the windshield and roof rail seal as they appear to have deteriorated. I am concerned that this leak will cause a malfunction in my driver side curtain airbag, a major safety concern. The following youtube video demonstrates the issue perfectly (

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Feb 162015

Civic 4-cyl

I have a 2012 Honda Civic and I take very good care of it. I just noticed that my steering wheel has a crack in the middle of it where the airbag comes out of. My vehicle has never been in an accident so for this to start cracking out of no where is very unsafe. I've gone to Honda to get it fixed and they don't want to help me because it's "not a big deal". my safety and my passengers safety is a big deal to me so I need help getting this issue fixed by Honda.

- Downey, CA, USA

Dec 052014

I am very concerned about the takata air bag situation. I question the safety of my car. Fortunately I haven't had an incident or accident however I am concerned that takata and Honda have not been forthright & transparent in re: Identifying models that are at risk of faulty air bags. I have contacted Honda san francisco where I purchased my car as well as Honda America. Because my VIN indicates no recall, neither Honda san francisco or Honda America will address my concern. I've asked Honda san francisco to check my car for confirmation that my air bags are takata and if so, for a safety check and/or to disconnect my air bag. They refused to do the safety check or disconnect because they said that my car was not part of the current recall. I ask, what does it take to get this addressed" an accident or death" I would like further action to ensure the safety of all cars with takata air bags. I welcome recommendations for further action.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Nov 132014

Civic 4-cyl

I purchased a new 2012 Honda Civic LX on May 2012. Until Nov 2014, I had driven the car without a passenger. Mid November, I tried to take the car on an out of town trip to add mileage; I was the passenger......updated 12/29/15 a few miles into the trip, the "passenger side airbag off" indicator like started going on and off. This happened several times. The light kept going on and off; we aborted the trip in this car; airbags are an integral part of the safety system. Car was serviced at the Honda dealer on Nov 18; they found nothing wrong; I took the car home. I again tried to ride the passenger seat - the light went off multiple times (10 or more); once again the car was serviced by Honda on Jan 7, 2015. Again, I was told the car was "safe" and that I must be too light/petite for the airbag, so the passenger airbag off light was going on and off. Mileage was now 4,307 miles and car less than 3 years old. Per the invoice "the system operates as designed at this time. System disables side air bag for customer safety". I expressed my concern to the Honda service rep. The Civic manual says the system operates with person "65 pounds" and up (I weigh 115 lbs). I am now expected to drive a car that I cannot use as a passenger - and get this - it is for "my protection" that the airbag is turned off. I reported the situation to Honda Corp on Feb 4 and opened a case. As I write, I am scheduled to take the car with a technician's 2/12 to see if tech can diagnose the problem. Issue is that the incidents are random and a test drive may not diagnose the problem. I have searched "car complaints and Honda sites" and found many other similar incidents. I purchased this car for safety and in good faith ; Honda was paid a fair price. Honda needs to deliver a car that works as advertised!!!

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Nov 102014

I have had several issues with my airbag stating there is an airbag error in my car. I took it to Honda and they confirmed that in their computer it shows that there is something wrong with the driver side airbag but they don't know what. They told me in order to check it they would have to take the car apart and I will have to pay $300 up front just to check it. They also stated that it isn't covered in the warranty even though my car has never been in a car accident and it is a major safety issue. I have not been able to get it fixed because I cannot afford for them to even just look at my car. What is the point of having a 6 yr warranty coverage if Honda doesn't want to cover anything! over the summer I had a drainage leak that was coming from the electrical fuse in my car, guess what Honda did not care!... these days I think a bicycle would be the safest thing... lol... suffice it to say life is expensive and I don't think we will be getting a break. Thanks Honda for only caring about your sales & money and not caring about your customers safety! lives! families! wives! husbands! & children!

- Clarksburg , MD, USA

Dec 122012

Ever since I bought the Honda Civic 2012, I've had problems. The first problem is the air bags turning on and off. Apparently, the air bags turn off if a child/someone is under 100 pounds. However, all my previous ex's were around 110 pounds, so the airbags turn off or on. I would hate to have one of my girlfriends die because of a crash where the airbag did not go off. Second problem: The car will not start multiple of times! I had my battery checked multiple times and it is not the alternator, either! apparently the steering wheel problem or the security system drains the battery. I had to buy a rechargeable battery and jumper cables which I carry in my trunk because I am tired of calling my insurance company or security at that location to jump start my car.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA