2013 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Honda Civic:

2013 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jul 292016

Civic

Vehicle hesitates under acceleration. Sometimes almost stalling. I feel this is not safe for my son at times. Merging etc. I called Honda service and they said they have had this issue come up with other people. They said it had to do with the econ mode. I drove the car with it off and still does it at times. Very concerned. I am taking it in to find out what is going on. Not good!

- Loveland, OH, USA

Nov 102015

Civic

I have had several issues with the transmission of my 2013 Honda Civic si. The first issue was the transmission broke, the dealer repaired it, busted out my windshield and dented up the fenders, it took them a year to fix every thing. The second time the transmission broke it is the shift cable. They have now sent a Honda corporate investigator to determine if some how I created the damage. The car has only 23000 miles on it and I baby this thing. I am concerned if the cable has snapped while driving it a highway speeds, would I be here to complain about it now. I may have to get an attorney because this vehicle is technically a lemon. I am scared to drive it anymore, and I really want to get a better car.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Sep 202015

Civic

The contact owns a 2013 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while the key was in the on position, the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was able to start after another attempt and the vehicle drove forward independently. In addition, the brakes failed to respond and the steering wheel locked warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle drove over the sidewalk and crashed into a building. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 15,447.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 262014

Civic

Was driving on the highway at 55-60 mph. Wanted to press "hazard warning button" and by accident pressed the "engine start/stop button". because "hazard warning lights" did not start flashing I automatically pressed the "engine start/stop button" second time - the engine turned off. Since engine was off brakes stopped working and power steering stopped working as well. There is no way to turn engine on while car was moving - as you can do it only when the transmission on "P" (parking) - and you cannot switch transmission into "P" (mode) when car is moving at 60 mpg. By luck I was able to pull car over without accident. I understand that maybe I was stupid and that is my mistake that by accident I pressed a wrong button, however, there should be no way the engine can go off while car is moving under any conditions and any drivers actions because it directly may leads to a crash which could be avoid only by a luck. I consider it is as extremely serious safety issue which should be immediately investigated and fixed.

- Surrey, Bc, Canada, WA, USA

Nov 112013

Civic 4-cyl

Attention to all who read & complain about our 2013 Honda Civic. Go to your internet & search drive by wire. Then you will know why our car drives so awful and yes, accident prone. Our vehicles - news flash - are manufactured with the new (well, around 2003-ish) (not real sure now) drive by wire. My old 1997 Honda Civic would drive this 2013 in the ground. It's new technology. No more drive by throttle. If you want your power, either get a manual transmission or get an old car. Peace to all who read. (( I knew something was weird with the car immediately after driving it for 13 miles - but I couldn't figure it out till I did research and boy, was I enlightened. So, loss of power - which I did file a formal complaint because I thought something was seriously wrong with the vehicle, but then I found out - oh, nice, new technology. You can also find out the information on any blog for any Honda owner - who is a serious mechanic )) drive by wire - known as dbw or our old way of cars - drive by throttle - or dbt.

- Del Valle, TX, USA

Oct 152013

Civic 4-cyl

Sometimes when I slow down to make a left or right turn, I press the accelerator and nothing happens. This has been happening since I purchased the car. It does not happen every time, but when it does you feel helpless until you are able to accelerate again (within a second or two). I have learned to compensate, but this could cause a major accident.

- Lexington, SC, USA

May 102014

Civic 4-cyl

This letter is to inform you about a severe malfunction that caused an accident. I was traumatized by a sudden unintended acceleration with my 2013 Honda Civic. Luckily no one got hurt in this event, but I?M hoping that this fact will not reduce the attention from this severe malfunction. Following is a brief summary of the event that happened on May 10, 2014 at 6:30pm: I was driving slowly, under 5 miles per hour, approaching a parking near the sideways. There was one car already parked, and I was going to park behind it. I was about to complete my parking, and my leg was gently applying the brakes (I was almost at a complete halt). Suddenly, the car made a very loud noise as if someone pressed on the gas all the way (it was an awful noise), and then it shot itself forward at a crazy speed. As the car drove itself into the parked car in front, I pulled the handbrake and pressed harder on the breaks in the split second that I had to realize something is wrong. Since I was at a very low speed, the impact didn't deploy the airbags. The parked car in front of me stopped the car from going forward uncontrollably. All of this happened in a matter of seconds. At this point the cars engine decreased the RPM back to normal, and the car stopped pushing itself forward, though at that point I already deployed the hand brake.

- Seminole, FL, USA

Mar 122014

Civic 4-cyl

No power. No acceleration. I am fortunate the car behind me was cautious enough to slow down. I had no power, no get-up, no nothing and I was flooring it to get out of a potential accident. The vehicle has made odd noises since the beginning. Brakes make an odd noise. There is a crackling, tinkling, very odd noise that comes from underneath the car since the beginning of ownership and I guess that's how the car is made (?). I do not know if a car is supposed to act like this, due to have owning manual transmissions the majority of my driving career. No umph on this brand-new car has led me to send in this complaint in case others are experiencing similarities. Odd noise with brakes, odd, very odd noise that tinkers under the car and no acceleration. I use the gasoline outlined/ preferred by the Honda Civic owner's manual.

- Del Valle, TX, USA

Dec 032013

Civic 4-cyl

Dealer service center identified an oil leak coming from the timing chain tensioner cover. Dealer indicated, "not enough hondabond removed timing tensioner cover plate, cleaned area, resealed cover with hondabond, and reinstalled. Rechecked after oil change and found no leaks at this time".

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 132013

Civic 4-cyl

Severe motion sickness when driving on the interstate; thought it was just a "small car" problem but it was persistent all the way to Chicago and back to san francisco. Basically, a roller coaster ride at interstate speeds and suspect that it is a faulty suspension design. Engine (would stall and then quickly accelerate problem) and driver wiped out after about eight thousand miles. The seat design is extremely poor and causes pinched nerves for passenger and driver. Maybe the car is just good for local short drives and the younger crowd...was supposed to get my old, trade-in vehicle back but Honda service ran off with the car and I sold it on ebay/paypal but got entangled in more fraud (various loan frauds by Honda and then the ebay buyer ran a scam and never paid for the car according to paypal). So, then the car got stolen by the scam loan company associated with Honda...a total bad experience as well as defective car design.

- Burlingame, CA, USA