1. needs new engine (1 reports)
2003 Honda Civic Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid:

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Owner Comments

Nov 022009

Civic Hybrid Hybrid

• CVT transmission

I was driving home from work when my engine light came on and it became jerky on acceleration and when I let off on the gas. I checked the engine code and it was engine misfire on cylinder 2. I did some tests, cleared the code and retested. This time I got the engine codes of misfire on cylinder 1 and 2. I did some more testing and cleared the codes again. This time I got the error codes of misfire on cylinder 2 and 3.

When I took it into the Honda dealer, they found it had low compression on cylinder 2 and high compression on the other cylinders. I also found out that the spring on one of the valves had come apart.

The dealer told me that they think the engine jumped/skipped it timing.

The end result is the engine need to be replaced. So at 117,000 miles, my car needs a new engine.

I am lucky I did not get rid of my 1999 Ford F-150 with 190,000 miles. It is 11 years old and runs like a charm.

- , Haymarket, VA, USA