2008 Honda Civic Hybrid seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid:

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Owner Comments

May 012016

Civic Hybrid

Good morning, I am requesting that the NHTSA investigate an issue with the airbag inflator in our 2008 Honda Civic hybrid. The SRS light was on and we subsequently took the car to our mechanic. He informed us that when he ran the diagnostic, code "33-10" came up, stating there is an open or increased resistance in the left side curtain airbag. My mechanic suggested we go to Honda for more information. During our visit to Honda, they confirmed the issue and informed us that the repair would cost ~$1,600 to fix. (attached is a copy of the information from Honda) we then went back to our mechanic, who suggested that we contact the NHTSA about this issue. When calling the service line, we were informed that we should file a vehicle safety complaint. We are of course very concerned, especially with the number of issues with Honda and the takata inflators, that perhaps our car may be affected as well. Considering the number of vehicles that are impacted, we are concerned about our safety. We are hopeful that NHTSA will be able to support us in investigating this matter. Thank you.

- Astoria, NY, USA

Jul 212016

Civic Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Civic hybrid. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V346000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Glenside, PA, USA

Jul 012016

Civic Hybrid

Takata recall - my car has been recalled and I have not been contacted by Honda.

- Valley Village, CA, USA

Jan 272016

Civic Hybrid

Vehicle moving in traffic on freeway, all power lost not able to move and involved in accident. Chp report pending. Air bags did not deploy.

- Glendale, CA, USA

May 022013

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

After driving my Honda Civic hybrid just over 5 years and with about 50K miles on it, my airbag SRS light illuminated. When I took it into the Honda dealership, they told me that it showed error code 33-10 and that the left side curtain airbag first inflator had gone bad and that both it and the left side curtain airbag would have to be replaced. The total cost was $1468. I consider seat belts and air bags to be critical items in my car and have a "zero defect" expectation for them. I had bought a Honda for two reasons: Safety and reliability. For it to have this kind of failure with relatively low mileage and age concerns me greatly. It also concerns me that Honda would not stand behind their product on a safety issue such as this. $1468 is outrageous. It appears that I am not the first Honda owner to have this kind of problem. How many more will Honda have on a safety item like an airbag before they issue a recall?

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Oct 042012

Civic Hybrid 4-cyl

SRS lite on, computer code correction from Honda dealer: 32-10---passenger side inflater 33-10--left side curtain airbag. Honda dealer saying no warranty, cost $1300 to fix. Our car is in a very good condition, is it the defective airbag? who else got this problem.

- Windsor Mill, MD, USA