2.3

2003 Honda Element miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Element:

2003 Honda Element Owner Comments

Sep 202016

Element

Driver side door lock no longer working when alarm is activated. Key gets stuck sometimes in the lock. I then have to go around to passenger side to get in to open driver side door from the inside.

- Concord, CA, USA

May 192016

Element

Door locks are defective- cannot insert my key in driver's side door. My remotes don't lift the locks any more. Lights flash ok, but I have a feeling that the driver's side door lock is involved. I understand that this is common in this vehicle

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Mar 202013

Element

Dealerships rolling the milage back 3000and scams disable people out of thousands of dollars and 28% lawsuit crimmal and civil please call me.

- North, SC, USA

Jun 282013

Element

Door lock on the drivers door stopped working. Honda said I needed a key fob. It worked for a while. Now my key fob will not open drivers door. The only way to lock or unlock my door is to pull up on the handle and push lock down and to go to the other door and crawl across to unlock it. I have read of many owners being locked out of their cars totally. A repairman thought it was the actuator. When he went to install it, it was not. I have spoken to several Honda service departments and they have no clue they said.

- Salem, AR, USA

Jun 062004

Element

The door locks on the Honda Element are faulty. So faulty in fact that a year after the Elements were advertised, a technical service bulletin (06-068) was issued for "door lock cylinder binds". this tsb applied to 2003-2004 civics, 2002-2003 CR-V, 2003 Elements. The tsb includes the affected VIN numbers. Once the door cylinder stops working you cannot gain entry into the vehicle through the affected door. For me it was the drivers door and I was forced to enter the vehicle via the passenger door. The Honda site stated that you should contact the dealer and ask for re numeration as this was a known failure. The Honda dealer local to me stated that since it wasn't a recall they wouldn't "give me a break" on the cost to fix the problem. Honda should be made accountable since they knew this was a problem. The safety issue here lies in the fact that you can't enter your vehicle quickly in a dangerous situation. Climbing over seats is certainly not a safe thing to do either.

- Cream Ridge, NJ, USA

May 192007

Element

The driver's side outer lock and automatic lock fails on the car. Passenger must enter through passenger side only. Intermittent problem with multiple instances of this occurring

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 152003

Element

The problem is with the windshield. I have had to replace it twice since January and it needs to be replaced again due to cracks. I checked around and I am not the only one with this problem. It seems that the windshield in the Element is very susceptable to cracks due to the flange creating too much stress which renders the glass very prone to cracking by road debris. I got hit by a tiny pebble which should never have cracked the glass. And in my 18 years of driving various vehicles, I have never, ever had this type of problem, so I know it is not just "bad luck" as the dealer has told me.

- Newburyport, MA, USA

Oct 212003

Element

Complaint regarding Honda american motors and the purchase of a 2003 Honda Element. Consumer stated experience at the dealership was less than good. His vehicle was sprayed with "armor oil type grease" all over the door panel with spray sprinkles. All over the front and back seats and console. They sprayed stuff all over the place to the point where his hand slipped off the steering wheel and the seats were destroyed. Dealership promised the perma plate, low jack and keyless entry. Consumer was told he wouldn't receive his keyless entry despite it being part of the deal. Consumer stated the dealership jacked up his vehicle.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 232003

Element 4-cyl

Bought the car with 264 miles on it on Aug. 15th, 2003. On Aug. 23rd, a noise began consistantly from the rear part of the vehicle each & every time when making turns.

- Plano, TX, USA