2.1

2005 Honda Element electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Element:

2005 Honda Element Owner Comments

Feb 152015

Element

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Element. When the vehicle was parked on an incline, it independently rolled backwards without warning. As a result, the vehicle failed to shift out of the park position. The contact stated that the ignition key failed to start the vehicle without warning. The contact also stated that the ignition key failed to lock the front driver and passenger side doors. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 127,000. Updated 7/14/15

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 132013

Element 4-cyl

Driver seat belt buckle switch for SRS air bag system shuts off SRS system - red warning light comes on. This has happened several times after resetting, system may work okay for several weeks. Repair shop says common problem seen may times. Cost to fix $350+.

- Monticello, NY, USA

Mar 312014

Element

I was driving on a busy street, quite slow (about 20-25 mph) and smoke started to billow out of my drivers side door. The smoke was coming from underneath the switches which control my windows. The smoke got progressively worse in a very short amount of time (30 seconds - 1 minute). I was unable to open my windows to let the black smoke out. I opened my car door while I drove into the first parking lot I saw. As soon as I parked, I could see flames under the window switches, which melted the plastic and caused the flames to get larger. I was able to smolder the fire with a jacket while waiting for the fire department. A fire claim was filed. My car was towed, since the fire department advised me not to drive it. I am now awaiting word from the mechanic it was towed to. I work for a home health care Agency, and have to Transport small oxygen tanks on occasion. I had one in my car at the time and this electrical malfunction could have been deadly.

- Greenwich, NY, USA

Mar 012007

Element

From about March of 2007 we started having problems with our brakes, they had been changed about twice a year. We thought cause we drive around in a city, the brakes wear out faster than normal. Then 2 years later we were having problems starting the car. We had to get it jumped start- it several times, before we purchased a new battery. Though it has been a year from the time we got a new battery, we still had problems starting the vehicle. We have taken it in to the auto shop several time, and they could not find the problem. Then the gear would not shift into drive and we took it in to get that fixed, and now it does not start all. It is not the battery, because the dash board lights still come on. At 74,0000 miles we should not be having so many failures with this vehicle!

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Sep 102011

Element

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Element. While the vehicle was parked the contact turned the ignition on and noticed smoke and heard a cracking sound coming from the master power window switch on the front drivers side door. The smoke was followed by a small flame. The fire extinguished on its own and caused the door panel to melt. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technicians were unable to determine the cause of fire and stated the wiring harness and driver side door panel had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,962.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 102011

Element

On Saturday, September 10, 2011, upon starting the ignition of my 2005 Honda Element, I noticed smoke emitting from the power window switch on the driver's side door. After hearing some crackling noises from the power window switch, it soon popped into a small fire which went out on it's own, proceeded by more continuous smoke.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 132008

Element

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Element. While driving approximately 55 mph on normal road conditions, the odometer failed without warning. The contact could not determine the distance that was traveled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing and the technician replaced the instrument panel cluster. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 55,000 and current mileage was 57,000.

- Bells, TN, USA