2007 Honda Fit drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Fit:

2007 Honda Fit Owner Comments

Oct 222016

Fit

Right drive axle shaft broke, rusted through inside vibration damper, left drive axle near failure; right front ABS sensor damaged. Had pulled over to curb in gear, break occurred when starting to pull out, was stuck in active traffic. Luckilly this failure did not occure when traveling at road speeds.

- Park Hills, KY, USA

Oct 252016

Fit

Had to have the passenger side axle replaced. I was having the oil change and it was pointed out to me the axle under the vibration damper was severely rusted. Rust was so bad as to have caused the vibration damper to split in several places. You could "dig" a screw driver into the rust. Person recommended having the axle replaced as soon as possible. Brought the car to a repair shop and mechanic confirmed axle was severely rusted. Car has 154000 miles on odometer.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Sep 292016

Fit

Pulling out of a business's driveway onto a highway, half way across the highway the car starts to loose forward motion and engine rev's increases dramatically. Step on gas and car will not accelerate. Check to see the car is in drive. Roll across the highway and coast into a parking lot. Look under car and see front axle on drivers side has snapped. It snapped at the point where the axle meets the damper. Took car to dealer and he confirmed front driver side axle is broken. This happened when there was no traffic on the highway. Serious accident could have occurred if highway was busy as car was in the lane I was crossing over of two lane highway when axle broken and was only going about 5-10mph at that point. Had the highway not been on a hill or had I been trying to go in the uphill direction would not have had enough speed to avoid oncoming traffic.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Jul 172016

Fit

My check engine light came on this Sunday morning when I driving over 60 mph with A/C and radio on my car jerks, I have already had a major transmission repair that cost over $500 and the car continues to misfire I was told the car was fine by the dealer rusty wallis. I have a service history book of everytime I have ever had any type of service my car has ever had since I purchased it. I do everything that the dealer tells me I'm informed I M supposed to do for the care of my car. I get my book stamped with the seal from rusty wallis every time I get service, even just an oil change. My high beams turn on whenever I use the signal lights. I just replaced my battery and now my A/C will not work. I'm taking my car into rusty to have the latest recall the airbags fixed this Saturday. I have spent thousands of dollars on my car and all work on my car has been at the place I bought it rusty wallis. They have always been good with me, but I really think something is wrong with the engines and fuel/ electrical systems in the Fits 2007. I just don't want to keep spending money on a problem that will never be fixed. I'm afraid that my car is going to stop while I'm on the freeway for an issue I have already paid to have fixed. I have had major tune ups, brakes, transmission and gaskets engine stuff done every time I was informed my car needed it, but the issue is not resolved. I would prefer an impartial entity review the situation and give me the findings, because I feel like I'm spending money and the issues still persist. I have paid for most things on my credit card for a track record of the years. My car is only 9 yrs old. Rusty wallis has been good with me, I think the defects are factory made from Honda. I would like to know is this stuff just happening my car or are others having these issues too.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Jun 012012

Fit 4-cyl

I am the owner of model year 2007 Honda Fit. This year, when the car reached around 76,000 miles the clutch began to fail to fully disengage with the pedal fully depressed. Eventually the problem was isolated to the mechanical clutch assembly (as opposed to the hydraulic system). After disassembly it was discovered that all of the "diaphragm springs" on the clutch pressure plate were bent, some more severely than others. My technician noted that he had never seen this sort of thing happen before. In order for the pressure plate diaphragm springs to have bent, one of two things must have occurred: 1. the diaphragm springs were damaged during assembly. If this is the case, then the damage would have been apparent when the car was new, not some 76,000 miles later. Identification numbers on the clutch (M41L 11 23/50) should prove that this clutch was the original and had not been replaced. 2. the diaphragm springs of the clutch lost their spring tension. This to me seems to be the only plausible explanation. This could be due to defects in the steel itself or improper heat-treating. I believe that a series of brinell hardness tests at various depths would prove that the clutch diaphragm springs are too soft and that this condition that ultimately caused the clutch to fail.

- Madison, WI, USA

Jul 042014

Fit 4-cyl

Power steering failed as leaving work. Starting car has been a recent issue since the starter is having problems but the power steering failing the only solution has to been to restart the car. In this case not possible since I could not get the car to restart.

- North Wales, PA, USA

Dec 172013

Fit 4-cyl

Car slipped out of gear while traveling at approximately 45 mph on an entrance ramp to a major highway. This could have been dangerous in some circumstances. Clutch failed requiring complete replacement.

- Shamong, NJ, USA

Jul 152012

Fit 4-cyl

While accelerating in light traffic on a 2-lane road, clutch failed and I could not engage gears to drive. Had towed to mechanic, who researched the internet and learned this is not an uncommon failure in Honda Fits. The tabs or teeth on the pressure plate of the clutch were warped or bent causing it not to engage. Mechanic stated that this was caused by poor engineering design. Under different traffic conditions, this loss of control of the vehicle's acceleration could have resulted in serious consequences to me and others. Because my mechanic's research showed that this type of clutch failure occurs too often for such newer cars, I believe your Agency should require Honda to - at the very least- warn others who have purchased Fits with standard transmissions and re-design the part to avoid its failure. Ideally, they should be required to replace the poorly designed part at their expense.

- River Ridge, LA, USA

Aug 012009

Fit

My husband was backing up our Honda Fit in the driveway. He put the car in reverse and while he was backing up it made a terrible grinding sound. He put his foot on the brake and then put the car into drive. Before he even moved his foot over to the accelerator pedal, the car accelerated so fast that it left skid marks on the driveway. He put his foot back on the brake and the car didn't stop. He put the emergency brake on and the car didn't stop. The car crashed through our fence at which point he put the car into park and it came to a screeching halt.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA