8.0

1. replace electronic power steering system (5 reports)
2007 Honda Fit steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Fit:

2007 Honda Fit Owner Comments

Oct 012011

Fit Sport 1500

My power steering has gone out when I try to start my car when it is cold. It used to happen once every 3 months but now occurs several times a week. If I turn the car off and on several times after it is warm, it finally resets

My long time honda dealer could not find a problem.

- , Manchester, NH, USA

Sep 292012

Fit

I want to start by saying I really do love my 2007 Honda Fit....or at least I used to love it until this problem started! In September 2012 one morning I started my car and all of a sudden the steering got really stiff and the light came on. It did not go off with turning off the car. I took it to the Honda dealer and they told me it was a faulty wire (like maybe a squirrel chewed it or something) and replaced it. This cost about $200.

A few weeks later, the same problem started but it was intermittent, and often the wheel would become stiff all of a sudden with the light going on. Usually in the morning with weather around 0 degrees celsius and after the car warmed up for about 10 minutes. And this would happen while I was driving on the highway at 100km/h!!! Talk about dangerous! If I had to swerve suddenly with this problem I would be in serious trouble, it is very difficult to move the steering wheel!

So then in December 2012 I went to the Honda dealer to have it checked again. This time, they could not get the light to turn on or the steering to act up. So basically, $100 later they told me there was nothing they could do.

And here I am in March 2013, I have brought it in a THIRD time and left the engine on so they could see the problem, but now I am told they had to turn the engine off and they again cannot replicate the problem....this is so ridiculous and Honda absolutely should be doing a recall for this! How many times do I have to bring my car to them for them to charge me for doing nothing and not even fixing a very dangerous problem?? I will be filing a safety complaint asap. And sad to say, but I think this will be my last honda!

- , Ottawa, ON, canada

Oct 132010

Fit S 1.5L

I started having this problem early in the life of the car. The warning light comes on and I lose all power assist with the steering. When I brought it in, the dealer couldn't replicate it. I was told there was a short in the system based on the error code, but they didn't know where. Since then, the problem has occurred nearly once a month, in the morning, typically when the weather is cool and damp. The past week, it's happened four times, so I brought it in and was told that 3 error codes popped up and that the Electronic Power Steering control unit needed to be replaced....for $770+labor. I found out that a service bulletin was issued last year on this problem (http://www.scribd.com/doc/26491744/Service-Bulletin), so they know there's a problem, but they won't issue a recall about it. I implore people who have had or are having this problem to report it to the NHTSA (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/) so that a recall can be issued.

- , Savoy, IL, USA

Dec 172010

Fit LX

2007 Honda Fit purchased 2nd hand from car lot in September 2009. 3 times now when it is cold outside around -10 or lower the power steering stops working when backing out of my driveway. Very worried it will stop working when driving down the highway, especially when I have my kids in the car. Can't afford to have it fix at this time as the bill for this is over $1000.00.

My first experience with a Honda has not been a good one so far. When power steering locks up it is very hard to turn the wheel, have to stop and restart my car in order for it to reset itself.

- , Salmon Arm, B.C, canada

Oct 152009

Fit Sport

When starting the car in the AM, Power Steering warning light came on and power steering was not functional. Went off after several restarts. Recurred several mornings but did not come on while driving. Quickly went to dealership where "Power Steering Chip" was replaced. Outside of warranty mileage by 3,000, so dealer discounted approx $950 "chip" cost by a few hundred. Definitely a major safety problem if loss of power steering had occurred while driving. Seems like a problem in "chip" software or manufacture. Charging almost $1000 for a "chip" is a ripoff in my opinion

- , Taos, NM, USA

Nov 242010

Fit Custom

This is a scary problem, without pwoer steering it is a bear to steer, and could be a real safety issue, especially is my wife were driving my car. I haven't seen my dealer yet. I have been a real Honda fan for years, starting with my 1976 Accord, and have owned 4 Honda's in total, mostly trouble free. I sincerely hope this is not an exception.

- , Columbiana, OH, USA

Nov 172009

Fit Sport

I started having this problem in November 2009. Upon starting my car in the morning, the power steering light came on, and the car did not have any power steering (the wheel was next to impossible to turn). I flipped off the ignition and restarted, and the power steering worked fine.

This was the first and only time this happened in a month. My warranty was near the end, so I took my car to the Honda dealership immediately. The service manager said he had never heard of a problem, and ran the diagnostic check. The check came up clean. I figured it was a fluke thing and continued on my merry way.

However, a month later (and almost every month since), the same thing would happen. I would start my car in the morning, and the power steering light would pop right up. However, it got progressively worse to get it to go off - the car had to sometimes be restarted several times. Luckily, this only occured in my driveway, but unluckily, by this time, my warranty was expired.

Lately, it's been happening more and more, so I looked up the problem online. I discovered that several owners of the 2007 Honda Fit have been having this same problem. Some owners experienced it while driving, and were lucky to not have a serious wreck. The solution is to have the Electronic Powering Steering System (EPS) replaced. Honda recently (FINALLY!!) recognized it as a recurring problem and posted a bulletin about it (#09-043).

I took my car to the dealer where they proceeded to tell me that the cost to fix such problem ran just under $1000. I advised them that the problem started happening during the warranty period, and that Honda should foot the bill. They did not agree. I am now in contact with Honda (800-999-1009) and fighting them on this bill. This is definitely a safety issue that SEVERAL people have had (there's a discussion about it on http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com). I have also reported this problem to the National Highway Safety Institute, in hopes that they will issue a recall due to several complaints.

Otherwise, this car has been great. But I consider this problem to be a serious one, and if Honda refuses to nationally acknowledge and be accountable for it, I will probably never go back to Honda again.

- , Hudson, NH, USA