2007 Honda Fit steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Fit:

2007 Honda Fit Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jun 302011

Around June 30, 2011, shortly after starting the car, the power steering caution light came on, and the power steering failed leaving the car with no steering capabilities. After turning the car off and then back on, the power steering returned to its normal operation. This same thing happened again around July 4, 2011, on July 19, 2011, July 22, 2011, and July 25, 2011, all shortly after starting the car. The car was diagnosed by appletree Honda and they reported that the electronic powering steering unit was defective and needed to be replaced at a cost of nearly $900 at our expense due to the expired warranty. They based this diagnosed partially on a Honda service bulletin #09-043. When the powering steering fails, all vehicle operations remain active, the car is impossible to steer, thus causing a safety hazard not only to the passengers of the Fit, but also to other motorists on the road. After contacting Honda, they said there was nothing they could do except replace it at our cost.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Jun 122011

Fit 4-cyl

2007 Honda Fit power steering stopped functioning on several occasions while the vehicle was being operated.

- Oxford, MA, USA

Jun 252008

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Fit. The contact stated that while in reverse, the power steering failed with the illumination of the power steering warning light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,000 and the current mileage was 75,000.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Apr 182011

Fit 4-cyl

The electric power steering doesn't work.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Mar 172011

Every morning when the temperature is below 40 degrees I have no power steering making it very difficult to drive the car. It is a 2007 Honda Fit.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Feb 152011

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Fit sport. The contact stated that she started the vehicle, the power steering suddenly failed. The contact tried to move the vehicle but the steering wheel would not turn. The contact turned the vehicle off and restarted it; the power steering reset itself. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Morro Bay, CA, USA

Feb 052010

Fit 4-cyl

I purchased my 2007 Honda Fit approximately one year ago at 49,000 miles. My eps indicator came on less than one week after purchase; it is possible that this was an issue prior to the purchase of my car. On page 62 of my owners manual it says to restart the engine and the issue should go away so that is what I did. It only recommended to have it checked if the light didn't go away when restarted. The issue happened several times over the past year but always went away after restarting the engine. It seems to happen more during cold weather. I had it checked by a local mechanic and he could find nothing wrong with it. After it started happening with increased frequency, and persisted after multiple restarts (although if I came back hours later it would be fine) I decided to take it to the dealer where it was diagnosed with "eps control unit internal failure, eps control unit needs replaced" not covered under warranty and it costs $800 to replace. This is a frightening safety issue because the wheel is virtually impossible to turn when this indicator is on. I have been very fortunate in that it has never come on while I am driving although from my research on this issue I have learned there are others that have not been as lucky as I have in this regard. It is also frightening that this is not an issue that is easily diagnosed my mechanics outside the dealership. For Honda owners like myself that live an hour away from the closest dealer; we are likely to take it somewhere closer first; where we are told there's nothing wrong with our car, although there is a potentially life-threatening issue wrong with the car.

- Cambridge , OH, USA

Nov 012009

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Fit. The contact stated that in cold weather when turning the vehicle on, the electrical power steering warning light would illuminate on the instrumental panel. While driving at various speeds, the power steering would fail when making a turn causing it to be difficult to manuever. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer who informed the contact that there was a tsb related to the failure and they are aware of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 27,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA

Nov 232010

The electric power steering on my Honda Fit failed to function. Fortunately, the event happened in my garage, but it was almost impossible to steer the wheels. So, I had to find other transportation to make my thanksgiving dinner. This could have been a disaster had the failure occurred on the road.

- Columbiana, OH, USA

Nov 012010

Fit 4-cyl

Power steering failed while driving. Restarting the engine restored the power steering.

- Mountain View, CA, USA

Nov 162010

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Fit. While driving 15 mph, the power steering failed. The contact pulled over, turned off the vehicle and restarted it. The power steering reset after the restart. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer but the failure could not be duplicated. The contact called the manufacturer who stated that they could offer no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 36,000.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Nov 072010

I started up my car (Honda Fit 2007) from a cold start and the power steering locked up. I restarted the car a few times after wards and still to no avail. The steering wheel was extremely hard to turn and when checking under the hood, nothing seemed to be wrong. After waiting about a half hour the car started up normally again. 2 days later same issue happened. I read online about an malfunction in the eps system that alot of other Honda Fit 07 users were having also. I haven't repaired my car yet because my car warranty just ended a couple months ago. My only fear now is if the power steering locks up while I'm cornering or driving and forcing another car out of their lane or having an accident from this.

- New Britain, CT, USA

Dec 152008

Problem has occurred multiple time over the past 2+ years: Situation 1: while driving, without warning, total loss of power steering, steering warning light and other lights on dash light up: Situation goes away by turning off the car and re-starting it. Situation 2: starting the car, car starts, power steering and other lights remain on, no power steering. Situation goes away by turning off car and re-starting. Situation 1 potentially deadly - happened to my wife while driving, very difficult for her to make a necessary turn on winding road.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Oct 012010

I started my 2007 Honda Fit sport model to pull out of a parallel parking spot. When I backed up and turned the steering wheel, the steering locked and I was unable to turn the tires. I could however move the car forward and backward. I turned off the engine, got out and inspected the car. Nothing appeared amiss. When I restarted the vehicle, it worked normally. I contacted my Honda dealer and was told they probably wouldn't be able to diagnose the problem without being able to recreate it. However, after the car was in the shop, they advised that one of their mechanics remembered a technical service bulletin - tsb 09-043 - that referred to the problem. The eps control unit would need to be replaced. Since I have read that this problem can also occur while the car is moving, I strongly believe this should be a recall item instead of merely a tsb! in my case, I was lucky that one of Honda's employees just happened to remember it. I was also advised by the Honda service employees that it was an "intermittent" problem and the car was safe to drive. How can a car be safe to drive when the steering locks up?

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 152008

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Fit. While starting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the steering wheel was very stiff and difficult to turn. The contact turned the vehicle off and restarted it; after the restart, the vehicle functioned properly. The failure occurred intermittently for the past two years and was worse in cold weather. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was approximately 40,000 and the current mileage was approximately 90,000.

- Disputanta, VA, USA

Aug 172010

Eps powersteering system on vehicle failed during cold start of vehicle. During a cold start the vehicle starts up normally until you turn the wheel. The eps turns off and a powersteering light turns on. Turning the vehicle off then back on again resets the system. This problem occurs at least once a week. Eps can be replaced by dealership but costs about $1000 total.

- Auburn Hills, MI, USA

Aug 082010

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Fit. The contact stated that when turning the vehicle on the power steering light would illuminate and then it would shut off. The failure also occurred when the vehicle was idle which made it hard to turn the steering wheel. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer for the identical failure; however, they were unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 35000. The current mileage was 56000.

- Hudson, NH, USA

Jun 012007

1. power steering did not turn on when car is started and power steering fails when car is in motion. 2. occurs approximately 1X month; the failure results in loss of control of the steering; steering becomes impossible to maneuver around corners at low speeds and very difficult to steer at speeds of 40 - 50 mph. 3. power steering unit was replaced by the dealership.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jun 012009

Power steering repeatedly disengages while driving causing power steering failure. This happens approximately 1 out of 25 times the vehicles is driven. When steering fails, it is nearly impossible to control the vehicle.

- Whitewood, SD, USA

Dec 102009

My eps unit on my Honda Fit has failed at random, various points in vehicle operation. While my own experience has been a total of 5 times in 3 years, the cause for concern can be verified through where more than a handful of posters have experienced their units locking up during vehicle operation, thereby "locking" the steering wheel in position until the vehicle is restarted. My unit last locked up in December during the cold weather here in Florida. After cranking the car and driving to work, which is 3 miles from home, I took the turn to go onto the road to work. While during the turn, my steering wheel instrument light came on, which signaled to me that I was screwed. Because I am aware that this could occur, I slammed my car into neutral, turned off/on my car, and was able to regain control of my steering wheel. If my wife had been driving or if I was not aware of this possibly occurring, I have no doubt that a serious accident could have occurred. As it was, I barely missed the car beside me as well as not running off the road. All the posters that I have seen on have shown that Honda does not see this issue as being a defect and is actually charging people to fix what is a serious issue. My car is out of warranty and has been for 13,000 miles. This has happened to me once when starting the car after it not being run for 3 days, it has occurred when I have been driving and it's been cold weather. I have had it happen during a regular summer day in Louisiana while it was raining. And it has even happened just starting my car in the driveway with the eps unit not releasing the steering wheel. In light of the issues of Toyota, please consider this an issue requiring attention.

- Parrish, FL, USA