2008 Honda Fit drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Fit:

2008 Honda Fit Owner Comments

Feb 082016

Check engine light came on, transmission "D" light on, shifting roughly. The car was in motion on city streets when this happened. Diagnostic codes run: P0756 and P0847. Diagnostics run per Honda service news article "hard or delayed shifting with A/T dtcs P0756 and P0847" transmission fluid was drained. It showed that it did have debris in the fluid. That means, according to Honda, that the transmission must be replaced. The car is unsafe to drive in this condition as the transmission could fail at any time. Since this is a known defect, reported by Honda, Honda should have extended the power train warranty past the original 60,000 miles to cover this. (mine had 75,000 miles at the time this happened.) I contacted the local Honda dealership and was told they are not authorized to offer any kind of discount on the replacement of the transmission. I called Honda's corporate office and was told that there is no official recall or extension of warranty, but some cost reduction is offered in cases where: 1. the customer is a repeat customer who has owned multiple Honda 2. the car was purchased at a dealership 3. the customer has spent enough money at the dealership (for service etc) to consider them a good Honda customer. I did not Fit this criteria. The guy at the corporate office said that I could have the car towed to the dealer, have the diagnostics run again, at my expense, and ask for a discount, but because I do not meet the 3 criteria above, I might not receive enough of a discount to even cover the extra cost of taking it to the dealership to have the diagnostics run a second time. He also told me that if Honda were to extend the warranty or do a recall in the future, it would apply retroactively to my car, whether I have the work done at the dealer or at another mechanic. (I'm having the work done at another mechanic.)

- Eureka, CA, USA

Jun 022015

Right side drive shaft of front wheel drive vehicle failed under acceleration causing vehicle to stop in intersection. Examination of failed drive shaft shows classic failure under torsion. The drive shaft was compromised by severe corrosion that reduced the diameter of the drive by approximately half the original diameter. Severe corrosion is located directly under the rubber vibration damper installed on the drive shaft that trapped water and salt greatly accelerating corrosion. Portions of the shaft not covered by the rubber vibration damper were not affected by corrosion allowing a direct comparison to the original diameter. Currently, I am driving a vehicle with a corroded left drive shaft about to fail at any time.

- Farmington, NY, USA

Mar 222015

Car had exhibited issues with shifter cable in the past, but no dealership had seen or indicated any issues. Car would not go into park, car then would not go into reverse and finally, when the cable snapped, the car would not leave neutral, making the car completely unusable. Had this occurred whilst driving, it would have been a serious health and safety concern.

- Monroe, MI, USA

Dec 092014

My 2008 Honda Fit (manual transmission) suddenly felt like the engine was bucking or hesitating when shifting gears. This was noticeable when shifting into 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th gear. It felt as if I needed to downshift even though I was shifting into the correct gear. ( I have been driving manual transmissions for more than 30 years). I took the car to the Honda service department and after test driving the car was told they did not notice the problem and to come back if the check engine light came on. A week or two later (12/9/14) when in Massachusetts for business, the bucking/hesitation was so bad that I was uncertain what gear I should be in when driving up a steep road. I made a service appointment for the coming Saturday (12/13/14) when I would be back in Connecticut, even though the check engine light was not on. The service department told me the coil assembly for one of the cylinders needed to be replaced which they did on Monday (12/15/14). I have not experienced a problem for the past four days. The total repair cost was nearly $257.60 with the coil assembly costing $135. I checked online to see what the cost for the part was and found it for $81 at brenardi auto parts which sells genuine Honda parts and from whom I have previously purchased parts. I emailed the Honda service department asking to be refunded $50 as they over-price on parts. Waiting to hear back from them. My question/concern; should this coil assembly have failed" what is the expected life of this part" thank you.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Jun 272014

Fit 4-cyl

2008 Honda Fit sport, 5-speed manual transmission. Transmission began binding (resistance, audible click from shift linkage) shifting into 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear at approx 60K miles (just prior to 2nd fluid change). Initially resolved problem. Recurring at 80K miles. Transmission fluid changed, clutch fluid changed/bled (no change), clutch height and engagement adjusted (slight improvement), and still not fully resolved. At this point it is likely a prematurely worn clutch, syncromesh issue, or possibly shift linkage. Best guess is a little of both. is full of similar transmission issues and Honda does not have a reputation for building reliable transmissions. I wish Honda would address their engineering deficiencies in this area or at least provide out of warranty coverage to owners. Will follow up with dealer, but expecting no cooperation. Maintenance background: Professional a&P mechanic, all services performed according to Honda's schedule, only genuine Honda fluids used. Vehicle is completely original except for front brake rotors/pads. No accidents, no other problems with car.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Sep 232012

Fit 4-cyl

When I backed out of my daughter's driveway, I tried to shift the automatic transmission from park to reverse. It clicked but would not go in reverse as I lifted my foot from the brake. It rolled forward slightly. I put it back in park again and decided to try once more. There was no floor mat on the floor. There were no cars coming at this point. I shifted into reverse and removed my foot slowly from the brake. The car flew into the street with rapid acceleration and I couldn't brake for an oncoming car, which I crashed into. The Fits left tail light and bumper were hit at such an angle and impact that my car spun forward and the transmission moved into drive. The air bag did not deploy. The brakes would not stop the car and it went zooming across my daughter's lawn, almost hitting a huge palm tree and a utility pole. It then spun around and finally stopped before it almost crashed into my daughter's house where my grandson was watching behind the window. The occupants of the other car in the crash said they had never seen anything like this and were willing to testify to that fact. The police report lists mechanical failure as the cause. The Honda Fit was towed to an auto body shop and repaired at a cost of $4400. The repair people would not test drive it because they were afraid to. They demanded that the car be towed to the Honda dealer for inspection. The tow truck driver experienced the rapid acceleration problem too as he was moving the car to the tow truck. He had to remove the key. The Honda dealer said they inspected the car and could find nothing wrong. I won't drive that car again and traded it in at Honda. They said the car was going to auction. Whoever buys that car could have a major problem.

- Fitchburg, WI, USA

Dec 122012

Fit 4-cyl

2008 Honda Fit (automatic) stalls when vehicle is in "drive" when driving at a slow/decreased speed (parking into a parking spot or starting to accellerate from a stop) or when stopped at a stop sign or stop light. There are no "service indicator lights on". this stall in the engine occurs regardless if vehicle is cold or warmed up. Honda dealership suggested replacing the transmission fluid. Cost $210. Paid for service to be preformed at Honda dealership. My car stalled again the next day. I hesitate to drive in traffic because stall is intermittent and do not want to cause a vehicle collision. Vehicles driving behind me have no idea when vehicle is going to stall instead of moving. Very high potential for collisions. There is a Honda recall for the 2009 and 2010 Honda Fit for this same problem. I believe the 2008 should be included in the same recall (see below). Recall id # 86874 - engine and engine cooling recall date Feb 17, 2011 component engine and engine cooling model affected Fit potential units affected 97201 recall date: Feb 17, 2011 model affected: 2009 Honda Fit summary: Honda is recalling certain model year 2009-2010 Honda Fit vehicles. There is a potential for one or more of the four spring assemblies on the engine's variable valve timing and lift electronic control (vtec) system to fail. Consequences: A failure of the spring assemblies may cause the vehicle to stall during operation increasing the risk of a crash. Remedy: Dealers will inspect and replace the spring assemblies in the engine if necessary free of charge. The safety recall began on March 7, 2011. Owners may contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009. Potential units affected: 97201 read more:

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Jul 202012

I was casual driving when the car began to not respond to the amount of acceleration given. First gear was also having a problem engaging then the rest of the gears began to follow. I was about to visit my family for the weekend when I was about to merge into traffic my car didn't respond and continuously revved in high rpms. I was moving 30 on a 65. I only have roughly 30000 miles and had bought this new 4 years ago, almost to date. I've driven manual all life and never had this problem. This can be a potential danger as tractor trailers and bigger cars could easily have crushed me as I merged but luckily I had driven onto the shoulder.

- Campbell, CA, USA

Sep 092009

Fit 4-cyl

When driving vehicle, engine lags at about 50 mph. Also when engine is still cold and transmission is in drive it stalls, it does it repeatedly until it reaches normal operating temperature. It seems something is wrong with fuel distribution, which may be very dangerous.

- Gaithersburg , MD, USA