2010 Honda Fit steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Honda Fit:

2010 Honda Fit Owner Comments

Sep 072016

Fit

The contact owns a 2010 Honda Fit. While driving 40 to 45 mph, the power steering failed without warning. The vehicle was pulled over to the side of the road, turned off, and restarted. The dealer was notified. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000.

- Old Bethpage, NY, USA

Dec 102015

Fit

This started with a little stiffness in steering. It is very hard to control now when making a turn. I am afraid to drive the the car. Local dealer says he cannot replicate the problem. Honda needs to alert and recall.

- Pearl,, MS, USA

Jan 162015

Fit 4-cyl

My daughter had an accident, this is her account: I was driving my 2010 Honda Fit on highway 880 northbound in the vicinity of alameda on Friday, January 16th 2015. I had been driving for at least a half hour on the highway and was in the left most lane going about 70 mph. Suddenly without any warning my car began to swerve violently to the right into the lane to my right. My first thought was that one of the tires had blown out, so I took my foot off the gas and did not touch the brakes, thinking just that I should try to keep the car away from other vehicles and as gently as I could bring it to the side of the road away from traffic. Immediately after the first swerve, the car did not react in the slightest to my steering attempts to keep it straight or away from traffic, and it swerved left and right a couple more times before hitting the concrete median on the left hand side of the highway. The front of the car crunched into the median, and the whole car flipped on its passenger side and scraped against the median before finally coming to a halt upside down. Once the car stopped I saw that miraculously nothing inside of the car was impeding my exit, and the glass on both the windows had completely shattered, so I undid my seatbelt and crawled out of the passenger side window and immediately stood up. Thankfully no other cars or passengers were involved, 911 was called, and the policeman who came said the incident sounded like it was due to tire damage from my description but then examined the wheels of the car and reported that he didn"T see anything awry with them, leaving the cause of the accident a mystery. I heard no sounds preceding the swerving, smelled no strange smells, noticed nothing strange about the car?S steering, and have had no indication whatsoever of anything being ?off" with the car before the incident.

- Saratoga, CA, USA

Sep 102014

Fit 4-cyl

I was hit on driver side by a older Honda Accord model vehicle year 2000 body type; the Accord was making a left turn on a green light that just changed from red, so he wasn't going fast (im assuming) when he hit me while I was passing the intersection at about 49mph. I want to report the vehicle that I was driving is unsafe and handled poorly, lost total control, brakes and steering locked, rolled over four to five times hitting a traffic light pole; the stability of vehicle is very poor and engine, transmission everything fell apart under the hood. I am requesting for this matter to be investigated, im insured the car is here at my house for now, you have permission to come here to see it or work it out with my insurance company. Thank you and this is serious, you need to check out what happened through those intersection camera's on September 10, 2014 around 1030am, camino real & hwy 76, bonsall California.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jan 012011

Fit 4-cyl

The car's steering is extremely over-responsive, but is unfortunately not speed sensitive. As a result, if one takes their eyes off the road for even a second, the car often moves out of its lane. Both my wife and I have had several scary experiences, where we looked over our shoulder momentarily in preparation for a lane change, checked traffic on busy cross streets, or changed a heating or cooling setting, and found ourselves crossing over the centerline or nearing the ditch. The car does not track straight, and also tends to veer left or right after going over bumps. I am very concerned that one of us could get killed in either a head-on collision or by running into the ditch. The car is a base Fit model, with a 5-speed manual.

- Mukwonago, WI, USA

Dec 222011

Fit 4-cyl

I made a right turn and the steering wheel would not straighten. I was forced to continue turning. It was a congested area in front of boston back bay rail station. Luckily, there was a space in the drop off lane to my right with no person or car in the way and I was able to brake and stop without injuring anybody. My Honda Fit is the S model which has controls on the cross-bar of the steering wheel for clutch-less shifting. The righthand control had caught on my winter coat. And prevented the wheel from returning to the upright position. Note that I am short (5'1") so that I have the seat forward in order to reach the pedals. This puts me closer to the wheel than most people. I could easily have hit a car or pedestrian because of these unnecessary shifters. They really should be replaced by D 1 2 on the stick so that a driver can access the lower ratios when necessary with out the danger of getting caught.

- Newtonville, MA, USA

Oct 192010

Fit

I have a 2010 Fit sport that doesn't wander or pull, drives great. I have another 2010 Fit sport never damaged with 6000 miles that: 1. wanders badly 2. pulls left when decelerating and right when accelerating. 3. will not return to straight when released. You must return it yourself and hunt for straight down the road yourself. All 3 defects are a big safety hazard: You will be in the oncoming lane or curb before you can correct it. The local Honda dealer has been unable to fix it. The only thing they did was increase the toein some and said that was all they could do. I am about to make a formal complaint to all who will listen. In each case it is in the other lane in less than 10 seconds if left to its self. The car is dangerous and a real safety hazard. Are there a service bulletins/recalls concerning this?

- Wellston, OK, USA