2010 Honda Insight drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Honda Insight:

2010 Honda Insight Owner Comments

Feb 282015

My Honda 2010 Insight - vehicle rolls back after releasing brake going up hill. This intermittently happened since buying vehicle last year around 2/30/2015. Last year around the month of June - a roll-back caused vehicle to roll-back on a curb on right side and rear tire hit curb pretty hard. I confirmed later the bearing had a noisy sound after that (the vehicle always had a slight much lighter noise while driving). We heard a slight louder rubbing sound after that roll back on a curb incident. Dealership told me hybrids has slight noise due to battery electric sound. Months later after the roll-back bearing damage, I asked about issue with a mechanic shop, they told me issue sounded like bad bearings, and I was told to get shocks checked too. I was unemployed - and they told me most people can drive with bad bearings for a while. Here is more detail on the roll back - it happens, while moving foot from brakes to gas paddle. When the roll back happens - it's after I release brakes on a slop. I had to quickly hit gas or move quick to breaks again- due to sometimes I in stopped in traffic on a hill, and I can't hold the gas due to forward motion in stopped traffic, so while hold brake with right - I move my left foot to brakes and then right foot over gas - when able - move forward (and I release my left foot from brakes). My daughter drive more than me, and told me not to hit brakes to quickly or quick multi-tap & release brakes before I stop, she is right this issue happens less now that I slowly move foot from gas to brakes going up hill). That was when I learned to coordinate footing on a hill. I found it's sort of expensive to fix tire bearings at the Honda dealership, and my vehicle was over 70,000 miles at that time last year - from Honda. I am ready to get roll-back, and hopefully bearings fixed by Honda too.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 162012

Insight 4-cyl

The car was traveling at a very slow speed (<10 mph) in a parking lot with the driver attempting to maneuver the car into a parking space. The driver was applying no pressure on the gas pedal; the car was in deceleration. When the driver stepped on the brake pedal to stop, the engine accelerated and the car lurched forward unexpectedly. As a result, the car went over the parking barrier into the base of a parking light causing significant front end damage to the car ($6,000). The driver has experienced a few other situations where the car acted in a similar manner. We believe this unexpected acceleration issue poses a serious safety hazard. We are working with the local Honda service department to isolate and fix the problem.

- Vail, AZ, USA