2012 Honda Insight miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda Insight:

2012 Honda Insight Owner Comments

Sep 012014

Insight 4-cyl

Approximately 5 months ago I noticed that the engine was making a slight ticking sound. I checked the oil and it was a quart low so I added a quart. I didn't check it again because I didn't hear that ticking noise again. Approximately 1 month later I took it to Honda in stockton, ca. To have a noise checked that I thought was a brake issue. There was also a noise coming from the front of the car that sounded like something scraping or dragging. When I went to pick it up the man said that it was a quart low and that if I didn't always keep my oil checked then it would void my warranties. I told him that I had just added a whole quart a month earlier. He said that he would push it through this time and to make sure I checked it regularly, at least once a month. I have never had to check a car's oil that often and I had this one serviced regularly and I didn't realize that it was low again, so I started to pay close attention to it and check it regularly. I kept the radio off so I could listen to the engine for that ticking noise and since then I have had to check and add 1/2 of a quart every single week. It is a routine now as the noise will get louder, it loses power, I check it and it is faithfully 1/2 quart low, so I add it. I called Honda service in lodi, ca. (where I usually take it for oil changes) and told him the story. He said that in order for them to determine if it is using oil I have to bring it in, have them do an oil change, then have me bring it back in once a week so they can check it and document it- I live 45 minutes away and that is the closest one! he said that at that point I will have to approve a total break-down ($1200 possibly out-of-pocket) to determine the cause and to see if it will be covered under warranty. This is ridiculous! I bought this car brand new and it only has 89K mi on it and I always get it serviced on time and take care of it.

- Valley Springs, CA, USA