6.0

1998 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Honda Odyssey:

1998 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

May 012009

Odyssey 4 cyl

Tranny seems slow/sluggish to shift from (P) to (D) or (R) etc. while at an idle.

If you move the shifter & then press on accelerator to soon you will feel a jerk because you pushed on the accelerator before the car had finished shifting all the way into the new gear that you selected.

I feel that this is a dirty tranny fluid problem causing shifting to be sluggish at an idle, but haven't tried to remedy it. It's been doing this for a long time (3yrs) (150K) and doesn't seem to be much worse now (197K). I just "try to remember" to give the tranny a couple extra seconds to reengage into the new gear before I touch the accelerator.

This is the same 98 Odyssey that has water leaks from outside to inside cabin when it rains and I haven't been able to locate the leak so I haven't felt like spending money on the tranny thing either.

- , Belle Plaine, IA, USA

Oct 152008

Odyssey Prestige 3.0L V6

I've had my 98 Odyssey V6 for about 2 yrs now. It presently has about 106K miles on it. I started noticing hard shifting, especially going into and coming out of park, approximately a year ago. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because all of the research I've done reports the same thing...the dealers are denying that there is a problem for the most part.

This is the only complaint I have. Other than this issue, the car has been rock-solid and extremely good to me! In fact, I was so pleased with its overall performance that, I will be buying another Odyssey!

My Odyssey has the 3.0L V6 that the Accord has, I purchased my cars for one main reason...the reliability history of this vehicle! I, too, am very concerned by the number of similar complaints about the same performance issue. I think that I will take a trip to the local Honda dealer that just sold me a car two months ago with my concerns. We'll see what happens!

- , Franklin, PA, USA