8.0

1. lace entire a/c system ($5500 estimate) (1 reports)
2000 Honda Odyssey AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Honda Odyssey:

2000 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Aug 312005

Odyssey EX 3.5L

The A/C stopped working around late 2005 early 2006 (how can you really put your finger on a date for something that is used rather infrequently). Probably around 50,000 to 60,000 kilometers on it (almost like new really - I work from home, no daily commute, so the miles are really low). I took it into a Honda dealership - diagnosis: replace condenser. We agreed that I would get a used condenser from the auto wreckers (from a 2000 write-off with less than 30,000 kilometers on it). The dealer replaced the condenser for around $400. Days later, the A/C was non-functional again. Diagnosis: faulty condenser form the wreckers. The dealership removed the condenser (for a fee $$), I had it replaced with an even newer condenser from the wreckers (they were very understanding). The dealership replaced the condenser again ($400 + due to labor to remove the previous condenser)... this time they claim that they ran a battery of tests... gave it the green light and off I went. A few days later my A/C was again non-functional. Some screaming and breath-holding led to the dealership offering to replace the wreckers condenser with a brand new Honda factory condenser, as they claimed that I'm giving them faulty condensers. They installed their new condenser, ran an even more extensive battery of tests (according to them) and off I go again (free of charge this time, due to the amount of steam exiting my ears). Guess what? Right, a few days later, no A/C. Back to the dealership, more "tests" ...now the diagnosis is that my entire A/C system is "contaminated", new estimate $5500 more dollars to rip out the old system and replace with an entire new A/C system. They claim that when the original condenser "blew" it must have contaminated the system. My claim is that original condenser was the Honda factory condenser and it "blew" very very early in the life of the van. Why can't Honda step in and admit that this van had a faulty condenser, as such they should fix whatever damage their faulty condenser would have caused? I'm over $1000 dollars into this and still no A/C at this time. They are no longer willing to offer me any compensation or refund or anything...$5500 dollars or get out of the dealership. Now I'm stuck, spent $1000 for nothing, no A/C to show for it. Has anyone had any A/C issues with their Odyssey?

- , Newmarket, ON, Canada