8.9

$3,112.00

1. replace transmission, PCM, valve & sensor (33 reports)
  3. rebuild torque converter (1 reports)
2000 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Honda Odyssey:

2000 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 302014

Odyssey LX

Last week the transmission went out on my 2000 honda odyssey. There was no way with other issues on the car, like broken window mechanism, door won't open, AC needed freon or?, and the three broken engine mounts that we considered fixing this when the car was getting old and had lots of miles. So we opted to buy another Honda Pilot. My wife has an 2003 Pilot. So we bought a 2012 Pilot that we can't afford and I took her 03 Pilot. Well, one week later the transmission on the Pilot is gone! We are blown away and cannot afford this kind of expense. Neither of us make a lot of money and who has 5000$, dealer price on rebuilt, Laying around to fix a car after just buying a new car last week.

My wife has taken good car of this car and we are just mystified that two transmissions would both be out in one week...if you are too, you should read the NY TIMES article "Honda transmission problems seem to persist?"

- , Newport News, VA, USA

Nov 092006

Odyssey EX 3.2L V6

The first time the transmission failed on my 2000 ODYSSEY,I knew something was going wrong with the transmission so I called the dealership and they asked me to bring the vehicle for checkup. They replaced the transmission but in the process, they messed up the GPS. When I told them that the GPS was not working properly, they checked and said that the GPS needed to be replaced and that it would cost me $3500.00, I declined. The second time the transmission failed was on the freeway with my two young children and my wife were in it and at night. After only 30000 miles after the first failure, it failed again and I took the vehicle to an independent shop and it costed me $2700.00 to get it fixed. Now after another 30000 miles, the transmission is acting up again and I know it is only a matter of time it will fail again. I will never buy a HONDA VEHICLE again. I was the only driver for my vehicle and I drive only less then 10000/yr and am a careful driver. In my opinion the Honda cars look good but machine wise, they are not a good buy. My next car would be a Nissan or a Toyota.

- , Loma Linda, CA, USA

Nov 092006

- , Loma Linda, CA, USA

Jan 012014

Odyssey LX 3.5L V6

I bought this a few months back and got ripped off.

I thought I am buying a reliable brand and it will last at least 200,000 miles but to my surprise the transmission failed and I am stuck and can't even afford the repair, looks like a scan.

There is a whole used and rebuild industry running because of this problem, looks like Honda gets a share. People asking for 1k, 2k, 3k, if I don't get a solution for this problem I am going to spread online awareness through different mediums so that others don't have to go through this pain.

It has already cost me $200-500 in different instances of towing and cabs.

- , Palm Coast, FL, USA

May 032013

Odyssey 3.5L

I purchased this van in December from a Honda dealership. Now When i purchased it they had a car fax for me to look at . The van had been very well taken care of and maintained. So i thought i was getting a great deal. Then i took it back to the same dealership for my regular oil changes . At one of these times about a month ago they told me i needed to have a transmission flush and change. This was about 75 dollars. I didn't know that if your trans fluid is black that you never have it flushed. Now a month later my transmission blew out on me on the freeway taking my children up north . I was traveling about 80 when i realized my rpms were up to 5000 !! When i pulled over it didn't want to accelerate. Now i am a single working mother to two children with now way to work ! I'm calling the dealership tomorrow to see if they will pay for the repairs! Now as I'm researching this online I'm finding that Honda has A lot of transmission issues? Had i known this before hand i would never have bought a Honda! Now i can tell you I will never recommend this company to anyone ever again!! I am furious and My next car i by will be a FORD!! At least they back up their mistakes

- , Grandville, MI, USA

Jun 042007

Odyssey LX

I almost fainted. I tried to get Honda Corporate to admit to the recall but they refused even with multiple escalations and the Honda dealership laughed all the way to the bank.

So I fixed (replaced) it out of pocket…ouch.

Now, at right around 200K, guess what? Ditto. If the rest of the vehicle was not in such pristine shape I would blow it up for the personal satisfaction, but that isn't an option.

I want justice. I want this fixed by Honda because it is the right thing to do.

I have always loved my 1992 Honda Civic SI (and 1994 VX) but this is enough for me to want to disown the company!!!!!! How dare thy refuse to fix their screwed up production?

- , Sterling, VA, USA

Mar 032013

Odyssey LX 3.6L

We have had this car for about three years now. It was taken care of by its original owner, and we have done likewise, just recently replacing the timing belt and water pump (as the original owner had replaced it at around 70,000 miles). This car has died twice since I purchased it, leaving it inoperable, this time it was the transmission. It showed no signs of failing, I was just driving on the freeway when suddenly the RPMs shot up to 6500. I let go of the gas, and to my surprise, the car would no longer accelerate when I stepped on the gas pedal.

I am a collage student with a young family, so this car is crucial for us, and needs to be reliable. From what I have read, this problem was addressed with a recall, of course my van is outside of the recall parameters.

I am waiting until Monday to see what Honda will do, its up to them to keep us as customers. The ball is in their court.

I will update this complaint with the results of Honda's response.

- , Corvallis, OR, USA

Jan 132013

Odyssey EX 3.2L V6

This is the 3rd time the automatic transmission on our 2000 Honda Odyssey has given up.

The last two times on the freeway, the engine started to rev up and there are no forward or reverse gear with burning smell.

It is absolutely unacceptable for a Honda to be on its 4th transmission even at 163k miles.

- , Mountain House, CA, USA

Nov 252012

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

I was driving on the interstate when all of a sudden my TCS LIGHT came on then my van lost power, i was able to get to the side of the road where I open the hood and saw transmission fluid all over the engine. i called the tow truck when he came I told him the problem and he inform me of the chronic problem honda odyssey's have with the transmissions so i did some online research and came across hundreds if not thousands of complaints with owners who have had the same issue. honda did a recall yet owners who have had the work done or are out of the recall term are stuck with an unsafe defective product! i I encourage all honda owners to complain and call honda 800-999-1009 about this problem.

- , Newport News, VA, USA

Jun 222009

Odyssey LX V6

The $1500 I spent was because I did gripe, rant and yell. They wanted to charge me over $3600. Being that this vehicle at this time was only 9 years old and this was it's third transmission. Yes, I had a problem with that. The manager knocked down the price to $1500 as a Good Will Jesture. However did comment that this new re-built transmission may only last 2 years. Honda typically has a good reputation, however, I sure felt like I got a lemon!

- , Elk Grove, CA, USA

Nov 102012

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

Bought new Odyssey EX back in 2000. Had to be wait-listed and paid a premium just to get the van, cuz the wait-list was so long. Heard of Transmission issues and checked with dealer. Dealer will not do anything because my transmission had not failed. The transmission failed at 102,000 miles in 2010, right after the warranty expired and the warranty extension due to lawsuit also expired. Paid dealer about $2500 (TWO THOUSANDS AND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS +), after the 25% goodwill by HONDA America as ill-will. I was told the van now has new transmission, and the design flaws have been fixed and the New Transmission will perform. The 3yr/36K warranty was their show of commitment only. Local shops were fixing at $1500 with shorter warranty. So let the dealer have my $$ 2500 for the peace of mind.

2 years later the tranny has died again. Dealer says that I am within the 3 year period. Great !!!!!. But I am about 1800 miles outsides the 36K miles warranty lenght. Not so Great !!!!. Dealer wants $4300 to replace the Tranny. Told me to talk to Honda-America. Honda-America says to go home and weep, cuz they will not pay anything towards the repair. Warranty is expired.

Incidentally also found that they did not put new Tranny last time. Only put in a rebuilt tranny from other failed trannies from Odyssey. Also have some hint that they did not do this work themselves. They farm out the tranny work to local shops.

Have to call the dealer again and see if they want me to continue to be a Honda consumer. Definitely not paying the 4300 Dollars to dealer withing 2 years. Neither paying the remaining from 25% or 50% discount that they are probably scheming to offer me.

Much better to go to local shop this time, New tranny is $1500 and $200 for 3 yr warranty. Then get rid of this car. And NEVER BUY A HONDA again.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 232011

Odyssey

Fourth (4th) yes that would be FOUR -ht Transmission - need I say more?

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Aug 172012

Odyssey LX V6

Had the transmission replaced 3 years ago due to manufacturer's re-calls was driving along last week and in the middle of an intersection the van just quit moving NO warning NO nothing engine running fine but van would not move had triple AAA tow and took to mechanic the NEW transmission died - OMG really! I do not have the money for this and HONDA are you kidding me! The new replaced transmission kicks the bucket.. I am a single mom and cannot afford this and now I have no vehicle and no one is helping and I will NEVER buy a Honda vehicle again. My van has ALWAYS been serviced by Honda service and TWO weeks before this happened I had it serviced and a full diagnostics run and no codes came up nothing and they said everything was great UHM ya right! I called the service dept and told them and they said sorry the warranty for the NEW transmission is up my 2 months and the cost to replace will be over $3,500 that is BEFORE labor costs well that is not happening. Thanks Honda for nothing!

- , San Clemete, CA, USA

Sep 012004

Odyssey LX 3.5L V6

This was only the first transmission failure!

There is more!

Aug 012012

Odyssey LX 3.5L V6

Here we are again. After having the transmission fixed (by Honda) at just 55,000 miles, paying $2,800.00 to replace it at 120,000 miles 2 years ago it has broke down again.

Reverse is out and the local shop says NOW there are stronger parts that are available to rebuild it this time. Except I can't afford another $3,500.00. I have never heard of a vehicle needing its FOURTH TRANSMISSION. I know the vehicle is now 12 years old but this really sucks. I feel like Honda should do something. Who can afford this???

By the way everything else on the car is in great shape as I have taken good care of it over the years especially keeping it running with bad transmissions.

Jun 022010

Odyssey LX 3.5L V6

This was the second transmission replacement after Honda repaired it at 55,000 miles.

But wait; there more!!

Apr 182012

Odyssey

I had a new transmission put in my honda odyssey in 2005 due to the extended warranty that Honda offered. I was under the impression it was covered for 10 years or 100,000 miles. :( Now 7years later, I am told I need a new transmission. I am not sure why a 7 year old transmission would need to be replaced again. I am being told by both Honda and my dealer (whom has done all my repairs) that it is not worth replacing as the car has 196,000 miles on it. I have done GREAT maintenance on this vehicle. I feel that I should not have to replace a 7 year old transmission no matter how many miles are on the car. It is 7 years old. I NEVER have had to replace a transmission in my 11 year old Nissan, 12 year old Pontiac, or 10 year old Plymouth. I am so disappointed in both Honda America and my dealer. How did people get their transmissions replaced multiple times with many miles, etc... I would love to have some assistance in how to approach this. I was planning on replacing my car in the next 1-2 years, but I don't think I will be buying a Honda - the customer service rep. did not care when I told him that. So much for brand loyalty!

- , Mt. Lebanon, PA, USA

Jan 202012

Odyssey 3.2L

We bought a Honda because we thought it was going to be a reliable car....after dealing with these types of issues from an American car we owned before I thought i could buy a reliable van for my wife to drive. Big Mistake! I have heard from other Odyssey owners and most of them are on their third transmission...The cost to fix this problem will cost approximately $2500 that we do NOT have! Is there any type of lawsuit action that can make Honda admit there is a problem and they could go ahead and repair these transmissions...I am sooooo disappointed in Honda! I thought I was investing in a good car...this will be our last Honda! Don't even fee good selling it to someone else!

- , Johns Creek, GA, USA

Sep 182008

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

This was the 2nd time the transmission was replaced, but not the last. It failed again at 160,000 we had it replaced for $2,500 and then we sold it. Honda has a great reputation and I'd just like to add a little reality to this image. Honda made a defective transmission for 2000 and never solved the problem just kept rebuilding the same defective design. Not very proactive. I thought I had a new transmission at 80k miles only to find out that this transmission is unreliable and expensive. I remember a time when the British had trouble holding onto their automotive technical edge and it seems another island nation is going the same route.

- , Saint John, IN, USA

Sep 112011

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

This rebuilt transmission failed after 40,000 miles of use, beyond the dealer's warranty of one year or 12,000 miles. This is the SECOND transmission failure on a car that now has 152,000 miles.

1. Clearly there is a design issue with this drive train paired to this vehicle.

2. I assumed a "rebuilt" transmission would last as long as the first one. If Honda knew otherwise, it would have been nice to know that.

- , Newtown Square, PA - Pennsylvania, USA