8.0

$3,060.00

1. replace transmission (7 reports)
2001 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Odyssey:

2001 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Jul 012014

Odyssey 3.5L

tran shuddering and hard shifting lights came on dont know what the problem is but it needs to be fixed

- , Niagara Falls, New York, USA

Jun 012009

Odyssey EX

I thought Honda had a good reputation, but I guess not...

- , Escondido, CA, USA

Dec 232008

Odyssey EX V6

We had been experiencing symptoms for over a year that, in hindsight, were because of a failing transmission. These were documented in our service records. When the transmission finally failed at 85k miles, we were 25k miles UNDER the warranty (109k), but had surpassed the 7 year, 9 month time period by 1 year. After MUCH arguing with Honda (this was our 6th Honda vehicle) they finally provided a limited goodwill credit toward future service, but we were still out of pocket a substantial amount of money.

To add salt to the wound, this replacement transmission died after only 40k miles, and of course was out of warranty too. If Honda was having problems with the 2001 transmissions, by 2008 when they replaced mine, they should have found a way for the replacement to last AT LEAST as long as the defective original one, instead it only lasted 1/2 as long. After speaking to the manager of the local dealership, AND Honda North America Customer Service, they say there is nothing they can do other than spend another $4,600 to replace the transmission AGAIN now at 135k miles.

The reason we, like so many others, purchased this Honda is because of it's reputation for dependability. To replace a transmission twice in 135k miles, on an Odyssey, when Honda knows about this problem (even though they never officially "admitted" it when they settled the huge class action lawsuit about these transmissions), is completely unacceptable. To have Honda tell me that it's my problem and there is nothing they can do about it is even more unacceptable.

If you are thinking of purchasing a Honda, please take this into consideration. Apparently brands with less reputation for dependability are working harder to gain one, and Honda is resting on its laurels and hoping people keep thinking they will support their vehicles and customers.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 222012

Odyssey EX V6

3 years ago, we had been experiencing symptoms for over a year that, in hindsight, were because of a failing transmission. These were documented in our service records. When the transmission finally failed at 85k miles, we were 25k miles UNDER the warranty (109k), but had surpassed the 7 year, 9 month time period by 1 year. After MUCH arguing with Honda (this was our 6th Honda vehicle) they finally provided a limited goodwill credit toward future service, but we were still out of pocket a substantial

Now, this replacement transmission died after only 40k miles, and of course was 3 months out of warranty too. If Honda was having problems with the 2001 transmissions, by 2008 when they replaced mine, they should have found a way for the replacement to last AT LEAST as long as the defective original one, instead it only lasted 1/2 as long. After speaking to the manager of the local dealership, AND Honda North America Customer Service, they say there is nothing they can do other than spend another $4,600 to replace the transmission AGAIN now at 135k miles.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 282011

Odyssey

Honda estimates $5,500 to replace transmission and 2 engine mounts. I am the original owner, car has been serviced on schedule at Honda. Very disappointed in Honda, will not buy another one.

- , Aurora, CO, USA

Oct 102011

Odyssey LX 3.2L

In 2008 we have replaced the transmission at 90,156 miles

3 years later same problem appeared with the transmission. What is going on with the transmission. Is there a manufacturing mistake that we don't know? Doesn't make sense to me to have the transmission replaced twice within 140.500 miles. Very disappointed..

- , Corona, CA, USA

Jul 012011

Odyssey LX V6

I was disappointed that the transmission went so fast; only 53,000 miles and it's a 2001. I have a 1993 Pontiac Bonneville with 83,000 and the car is running excellent. I take my Honda to Hillside Honda for repairs and check up. I could not believe that they were not able to detect my transmission problem. I always say good things about Honda and their brand to people and how it is wonderful to own a Honda. I tell them to buy Honda brand. I was planning to buy a Honda Accord next year. After this issue I would never recommend Honda to anyone or buy another Honda brand.

- , Ozone Park, NY, USA

Apr 142010

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

It shifts really hard, jerks hard, lags before going into first gear and jerks really hard.

- , Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Jun 182004

Odyssey LX V6

Aside from the original transmission that came with this 2001 Odyssey, we are now on our 2d transmission. Three transmissions in 3 years! just pathetic!

- , Dundas, Ontario, Canada

Nov 112007

Odyssey LX V6

2001 Odyssey - now on our 4th transmission!!! This is ridiculous. Honda refused to help out . They know these transmissions are faulty....but keep replacing them with rebuilts that are useless and new ones that are just as awful as the originals. Count yourself lucky if you haven't had tranny problems. VERY LUCKY

- , Dundas, Ontario, Canada