1. replaced torque converter (3 reports)
2001 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Odyssey:

2001 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

May 012015

Odyssey ES 3.2L V6

Great vehicle until the transmission died, beware.

- , Longmont, CO, USA

Dec 182014

Odyssey LX 3.2L V6

I bought this van in 2001 paid cash. Did not get any break what so ever because we have only one Honda dealer here in Corpus Christi, TX. Had it serviced at the dealer for 12 years with Honda oil and filter every 3,000mi. Then I did switched to synthetic oil and did it myself logged it in the owner manual. But every time they did it I got a free 21 multi point inspection like it or not.

During those inspections they would find dirty brake fluid and have flush the system for healthy price. But once they said that it was time to change my the drive and timing belts because I had over 60,000 miles. I told them to let me see those belts before you do it, well they looked fine. So I said no that's alright just leave it alone, because they looked good. They replied that if one of those would break it will take out my engine, so the 500 dollars now is a good deal!.

Called Autozone those belts are $ 20 ea. Well I told them I would think about it. Well many years later, 48000 miles, I step on the gas pedal it starts to go then slips. The check engine light came on, so did the TSC light. I was out of town north of Houston but was able to drive the 400 miles back to Corpus. Did fine on the freeway perfect just only when I stopped and had to step on the gas was the problem. Drove it to the dealer to see what they say. They said that clutch system malfunction turned my transmission fluid black. So I need a new transmission at $4861.

At home I see that they wrote TRANS FLUID DO TO LACK OF MAINTENANCE called him back he confirmed that sure it was me that made the transmission fail. If I would have changed the fluid at 45000 and 75000 mi. It would have never happened. Wow, so the Honda Odyssey does not have a history of transmission problems. Awesome I never knew that I had the ability to destroy transmissions before. So then I called Honda America got the opportunity to talk to three different ladies and give my vin # , address, e mail, and tell my story three different times. And the last lady said " I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune with your Honda Odyssey but our class action period has expired so offer any assistance any more". Is there anything else I can help you with?

So that's it folk's end of story. It will be a cold day in hell before I look at another Honda. 01/30/2015

- , Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jul 082011

Odyssey LX 3.5L

Tranmission is jumping into 2nd gear hard. Seems to be some slippage as well

- , Millis, MA, USA

Jul 252011

I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey. I started to notice when we 1st got it the transmission slipped and changed gears at the wrong time. it was as though the car was designed not to coast. You had to accelerate or the trans would down shift. We took our car to the dealer for something else really and mentioned the trans and found out about the recall and had our trans repaired for free. do not recall the year but the car was about 3 years old or so.

Today, while on the highway i noticed as i tried to accelerate the RPMs shot up to 5000 or more, but i was not accelerating. the RPMs concerned me because my Honda Pilot had a similar situation a few months back. thank goodness i was doing 70+. it allowed me to change lanes and make it to the shoulder. I placed the car in park, and put it back in drive, reverse, D3, 2 then 1 and nothing. as soon as i stepped on the accelerator the RPMs shot to the moon, but no movement.

Frankly i am pissed. i have had a honda accord-95, civic-99, and pilot-06. the Accord got me hooked on Hondas. absolutely no problem. a radiator, and a clutch after teaching my wife how to drive a manual trans. That's it. the Odyssey - a new trans via warranty, the Civic wasn't prepped right and did not have enough oil and required a new engine. Honda Pilot's transmission needed new solenoids about 3-4 months ago, a $750-800 repair. I THINK I AM DONE WITH HONDAS

- , Cheverly, MD, USA

Jul 072010

Odyssey LX V6

We are now on our 5th transmission in 9 years. replaced our last transmission in November of 2009. Just last week our torque converter blew on highway while driving.TCS and engine light first came on and then smoke billowing from the back engine pipe. Smoke got into the rear of our van as well. Children terrified.

I HATE THIS VAN. HAVE PUT SO MUCH $$$ MONEY INTO IT. DON'T EVEN KNOW IF I CAN SELL THE DAMN THING WITH HONESTY. I am driving it for a bit longer until my other vehicle's monthly payments is up and once that is done . The van is gone....DO NOT SPEND THE MONEY ON AN ODYSSEY. Please also see info@ odysseytransmission.com

- , Dundas, Ontario, Canada