1. replace transmission (35 reports)
  3. repair transmission, replace torque converter (4 reports)
2001 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Odyssey:

2001 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 282012

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

We suffered transmission failure in the middle of Kansas on way back to Oklahoma. The van wouldn't move at all.

- , Lawton, OK, USA

Feb 012013

Odyssey LX V6

This is my SECOND bad transmission from Honda. First transmission went at 70,000 miles and the replacement transmission had only 50,000 miles on it.

This car has always been a money pit, in one year I put close to $6,000 in repairs (only 70,000 and that didn't include the transmission, they only covered 90%)

NEVER again with HONDA

- , Manalapan, NJ, USA

Nov 202012

Odyssey LX V6

We bought our Honda Odyssey used in August 2009. Everything was great until December 2009 and the transmission went out. We were past the extended warranty (although within the 109K miles) and so we had to fork out $3500 to fix the transmission. Honda would not help cover any cost.

Now under 3 years later, Nov 20, 2012, the transmission went out again. We couldn't believe it. This time we were within the 3 year warranty but over the 36K mile warranty by less than 4K miles. I called Honda mad as can be and they were terrible. They wouldn't do anything. After explaining how disappointed I was and that I thought Honda should back their product better the customer service rep actually said to me " and what would you like us to do about it" Of course I said, fix my transmission and he casually said. That won't happen.

I've tried to call back but I just get the run around about how the case manager is going to call me. But doesn't. Honda sucks. This is the worst car we've ever purchased. Oh, the new transmission cost? $5500. My 2001 isn't even worth $5500 when it's perfectly running.

- , Natick, MA, USA

Nov 162012

Bought this 2001 Honda Odyssey as a Certified Honda through Vann York Honda in High Point. No problems with the vehicle through the 100,000 mile warranty. Around 125,000 miles, we had to have the transmission replaced. I wasn't happy but I didn't want to buy a new car either so I had it replaced. I thought that would take care of us for a while. 50,000 miles later, the transmission has gone out again. We're outside of the 36,000 mile warranty so Honda is not going to do anything about it. When you look online you see that the 2001 Honda Odyssey transmission issue was awful and they won't help me out. I have had other vehicles and none of them needed a transmission after 50,000 miles. If you are in the market for a used Honda Odyssey, even though I know it's a very old van, STAY AWAY FROM HONDA ODYSSEY. I can't speak for future years, but I know I'm not going to give them my business ever again.

- , Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Aug 102011

Odyssey ES

After replacing transmission at 96,00 right after I bought (under warranty). then 30,00miles later i had to replace it again at amco 4000. then at 160,000 it needed a new transmission at another 4000. Every 30000 i needed to put in a new transmission,This Odyssey has been a nightmare. all kinds of problems. My first used car . NIGHTMARE!! Everyone in accords work great , My husbands honda accord went to 250,000 miles to with no major repairs >until the body parts starting flying off while driving. I do not buy Odyssey's from 1999-2008.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 152012

Odyssey LX 3.5L V6

Transmission was "replaced" by a Honda dealership under transmission recall a few years ago. Still had to pay 30% of the cost. Transmission was NOT replaced instead they gave me the run around and just changed the trans fluid. This was all done at roughly 60,000 miles. Car hit 86,000 miles and the transmission gave up. Now I don't know what to do with this. Of course Honda is trying to deny everything and leaving the customer in the dark. After owning numerous numbers of Hondas over the past 30 years, I sad to say this will be my last.

- , Richmond Hill, NY, USA

May 192012

Odyssey 3.5L V6

I was lucky I thought to get a transmission replaced before 100K, or so I thought... heading from NYC to Greensboro NC.. I was lucky to make it to my friends driveway... the car smoked and looked like it leaked transmission fluid.. I replaced and drove... then, I was lucky to make it to the top of the hill and coast down to their driveway... I now have to rent a car to NYC... honda sucks... I always treasure a car with a good engine and tranny.. to me nothing else matters unless it can drive... there goes my tranny and there I go to MCU to get a loan for a nissan maxima..

- , Jamaica, NY, USA

Jan 022012

2001 Honda Odyssey transmission failed March 19, 2007 at 80,726 miles for the first time. Replaced by Honda under class-action lawsuit warranty. The replacement unit failed at 137,084 miles on January 02, 2012. Thus the warranty replacement unit lasted only 56,358 miles which is substantially less than the original unit.

Called Honda January 05, 2012 and asked if they could pay for the transmission and I’d pay for the labor and shop supplies. Honda rejected the request and said they were unable to assist.

I’m sure it was never the intention of the Court in finalizing the class action law suit that failure of the replacement units would follow in such short order. It’s unreasonable to expect that a warranty replacement unit should last less that the 109,000 miles the Court agreed to.

Refer to New York Times on-line report dated 01/08/2011 -

Honda Customer Care Reference Number 012-012-0500412.

- , Lake Worth, FL, USA

Sep 052011

Odyssey ES 3.2L V6

We bought the van and 184 miles later the tranny went out. Thats correct, 184 miles. Because we hadn't bought the expensive extended warrenty they didn't want to fix the problem. After threatening them with the BBB they finally relented and fixed the tranny. Little did we know what we were in for.

My wife and 4 of my kids were traveling thru Ohio at 4 am when the TCS light comes on ant the tranny dies AGAIN with less than 35,000 miles on the now 2nd one. Luckily I was able to fax a copy of the work order to the shop and they replaced it. Of course Honda replaced it with another JUNK tranny because, oops!!! it died again 2 nites ago at midnight in Wisconsin about 50 miles from my home.

So the 3rd transmission in less than 95,000 miles.

Honda in their words has told us that all warrenties have expired and that they aren't going to help in any way. We are a family that has mostly only driven Hondas. NEVER AGAIN!!!!! What a scam this company has pulled over on the American public. Frankly I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any ideas???? HELP!!!!

- , Hilbert, WI, USA

Oct 032011

Odyssey EX V6 3.5L

2001--only 65000 miles. Driving down a city street early October when I notice the TCS light and D3 indicator light flashing and the check engine light on. Could no longer accelerate, van would move only very very slowly. Had it towed to local Honda dealer.

They diagnosed it as a tranny failure, replacement would cost $5300. Did the dance with service rep, etc. Got American Honda involved, had to ask, offered replacement for $4320. Told them no thanks, will never buy a Honda again (unless they own this) and will discourage anyone else from doing so. They were actually going to charge me $80 for giving me the diagnosis that I now owned an $8200 paper weight! When I objected, they relented. About the only good thing I can say about the service reps effort and keeping me as a happy Honda consumer.

Took it to an approved Jasper Transmission installer and had them put in the recommended Jasper replacement (why in the world would I want the same product from Honda again?) Total bill just under $4K. We obviously don't drive our van much, but so far it is running perfectly. Jasper comes with 3yr/100,000mi warranty. I just discovered tonight that there is now a class-action lawsuit filed. Unfortunately it seems to cover only 2005/06 model years. You can bet I will be contacting them to see if the suit can be expanded to additional years. There is also an Occupy Honda facebook page!

It is simply reprehensible that Honda is acting this way and they ought to be held accountable.

Anyone who has specific information regarding the recall issued for this vehicle, please post. Links/pdfs/court case number, etc, etc., it would be greatly appreciated.

- , Madison, WI, USA

Dec 062011

Yet another 2001 Honda Odyssey with a failed transmission. My van was part of the Honda recall. They replaced the transmission in Sept. 2008 with 95,000 miles. Free of cost to me. December of 2011 with 142,000 miles my transmission failed AGAIN. Honda will DO NOTHING about it. I have had Honda's my whole life but I am now considering a Toyota or Nissan next. Very unhappy with Honda!!

- , Kent, OH, USA

Oct 262011

Odyssey ES

The check engine light in my Honda Odyssey came on in October 2011 at 143,000 miles, so I took the car to my local mechanic, who wasn't overly concerned .He told me that the check engine light sometimes comes on for minor issues. However, when I went to pick up my van later that day, he told me that I would probably need a whole new transmission! Took my Odyssey to Honda to confirm, expecting some type of a discount for a tranny but instead got an estimate of $5,700 dollars to replace the transmission. I am a single mother and I expected to be able to drive my van to at least 200,000 miles! I honestly don't know what I am going to do. Through my research I discovered that even replacement transmissions typically fail. The car is worthless as a trade-in, and I don't have much of a savings to purchase a used car. I feel absolutely ripped off and violated and I will never purchase a Honda vehicle again. Ever. Isn't there anything we abused Odyssey owners can do? How has Honda gotten away with this hideous practice for so many years and without any financial or legal consequences?

- , Washington, NJ, USA

Apr 012008

Odyssey LX V6

It took me at least 6 months to get the Honda dealership in Massillon, Ohio to acknowledge the problem until it got really bad. All my service work for over a decade, along with purchasing 3 new vehicles had been from this dealership. They finally admitted that the transmission needed replaced at 85,000 on my 2001 Odyssey. The extended factory warranty was up to 100,000 miles. After the hassle, it was replaced, BUT less than 5,000 miles later it was going out again. So, at 91,000 miles they replaced it again. I kept it until it made it to 120,000 and then got rid of it after reading about other people's experiences that the replacement transmissions go bad again within 30,000 - 50,000 miles, almost guaranteed. I knew I didn't want to foot a $4,000 + bill to replace it. Had I not done all my service work at the dealership, I can almost assure you that they would have dragged their feet until I hit the 100,000 mark and then dropped it in my lap, but they stood by the warranty. After researching Honda complaints for Accords and Odysseys there is definitely a design problem with transmissions, something about how a screen inside cannot be removed so it collects pieces inside and eventually will trash the transmission. I loved the complete versatility of my Odyssey, and if it wasn't for the transmission problem, I had learned to live with the creaks and road noise. I even had sound dampening installed in the slider doors to dampen the road noise and cargo feel of the doors. I am very hesitant to even consider recommending an 1999 or newer Accord or Odyssey for purchase for myself or anyone else.

- , Massillon, OH, USA

Jun 112011

Odyssey EX V6

Honda- you will never get my business again. This is my 4th tranny since I have owned this vehicle and I only have 136,000 on it. The first one blew at 55,000, the next at 131,000 and finally the last one at 136,000. What a friggin' joke. Although this last one will be replace for free because it only had 5,000 miles on it, we were on the way back from San Diego and were in the middle of nowhere when it happened. Although the tranny will be replaced for free, I had to cover the costs of the tow back to my home which is 300 miles away. Not worth the hassle, cannot trust this vehicle anymore. GOODBYE HONDA AND GOOD RIDDANCE.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 012011

Odyssey LX

The transmission on this car went out at 96,000 miles due to a major design flaw. Honda replaced it at that time due to the class action lawsuit covering this design flaw. Apparently, they put a transmission back in the car that had the same design flaw because it just went out again due to the same issue after about 45,000 miles. Honda "Customer Service" is extremely unhelpful and says something to the effect that it was warrantied for 36,000 miles, the car went 9,000 further than that, we won't do any thing for you.

This is certainly not what we expected or had in mind when we decided to buy a car from Honda. This is behavior we would expect from Yugo or GM circa 1970s, not from a company like Honda. If you are looking into buying a Honda, beware and do some research. You'll find MANY complaints similar to ours.

- , Murphy, TX, USA

Oct 052007

The Honda recall only covered cars with less tha 100,000 miles. By doing so, this corporation has failed to take responsibility for this known defect and failure and has shown its lack of commitment to service excellence by declaring that at 100,000 miles they are no longer responsible!!! I have been told my various mechanics that the engine/transmission in the Odyssey is similar to the Accord which is a much lighter vehicle and is just unable to support such a heavy car. I have lost all faith in the Honda brand! The American public has been duped!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Olney, MD, USA

Mar 122011

- , Olney, MD, USA

Dec 272010

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

I've owned 7 Hondas in my lifetime, this was a true disappointment. There should have been a recall, Honda should have paid for this one. I now question my loyalty to the brand.

- , Longmont, CO, USA

May 032010

Odyssey EX 3.5L

I have owned 3 Honda Odysseys (99,00, and 01) and two of them have had transmission problems. I love these vans for, aside from the trannys, hardly anything else goes wrong. On my 2001, I decided a repair on my existing tranny may be more cost effective than a complete replacement. I was very wrong. Five or six trips back and forth to the shop replacing the torque converter and other parts, the guy finally hit the nail on the head by installing an external transmission cooler, of course for an additional $200.

- , Piscataway, NJ, USA

Dec 232010

Odyssey EX 3.5L

I own a 2001 Honda Odyssey. In June ’06, my transmission had to be replaced at 100K miles. At the time, American Honda (AH) replaced it free of charge under an Extended Warranty program as I was advised by Lancaster Honda. I was not told that this was the result of a class action suit. I never received a notice from Honda regarding this issue. In fact, when I initially began having trouble with the transmission not shifting properly and TCS light coming on, I took the car to LH and was told that I should just purchase a new gas cap to take care of the problem. In less than 3 weeks, I returned to LH with more transmission issues and finally I guess I got the right Service Tech who looked on the computer and saw a service bulletin for the transmission and extended warranty. I was relieved that I didn't have to pay any $$ out of pocket. Well the jokes on me. At the time the repairs were done we asked about the warranty on the new tranny and were verbally told that we had the same warranty as we had originally. So I presumed that my van would last me another 7 + years or at least 100K miles. American Honda (AH) robbed me of that fantasy on December 23, 2010. My father was driving the van returning from Los Angeles. In a matter of few short minutes & couple of miles the tranny on my van burnt up & I nearly lost my father in a senseless situation caused by AH’s misrepresentation of fact & careless disregard for human life. My father was driving NB Hwy 14 in Santa Clarita Valley when he began to experience trouble with the van. The van’s cruise control was set @ 65 MPH & he was driving in the # 3 lane. As he approached the grade he noticed the TCS and Malfunction lights on the dash. He attempted to merge to the right to pull off to the shoulder but was hampered by a truck-n-trailer in the lane to his right. Next, the engine began to make a screaming noise. As he still tried to move to the shoulder without any success, the screaming noise continued, so he turned off the cruise control, the noise stopped but at this point he noticed smoking billowing up the back of the van from the rear window. By now, he had reached the top of the hill, within moments of turning off the cruise control the van had lost power – he could not accelerate. Without power & riding on downhill momentum with heavy traffic speeding past my father @ speeds over 65 MPH he is still trying to get to the shoulder. Finally, the truck-n-trailer has passed my father & he proceeds to merge right & gets to the shoulder & he parks South of Aqua Dulce Canyon Road. Then, he is nearly hit by a Corvette using the shoulder to race a Mustang @ 100 MPH. My father called for a tow to Lancaster Honda (LH) where it still sits. LH wants $6K to replace something that was supposed to already be fixed. The “new” tranny in ‘06 should have lasted at least another 100K miles not only 70K. AH told me that the extended warranty did not apply since I was past the 93 mos. and beyond the 109K miles. As stated the van had to be towed to LH. I arrived to LH to pick up my father so I got there in time to witness a service tech look under the hood make a sarcastic comment to me and proceed to drive the van from the back lot into the shop ( approx 60 feet) to run a diagnostic on it. The fact the service tech could drive the van completely surprised my father since the last time he was in the van there was no power and he could not get it to move one yard. LH runs their diagnostic on the van, calls me to tell me that I need a new transmission but it’s their attitude. It is very accusatory. I am told that the transmission fluid is burnt - well duh! We explained what happened on the hwy - billowing smoke loss of power etc. etc. However, unless I can prove to their satisfaction proper maintenance there is nothing they can or will do for me. Which means since I do not always take my car to Honda for service I'm screwed. One thing really bothered me when I asked the service writer for a copy of the repair quote - under the comments it states that the transmission fluid is burnt and that they could NOT get the van out of Park. Now how can that be true when I watched them drive it inside their shop? The van still sits at LH and they want me to decide to let them put in a new tranny. But I brought up that point and suggested that we witnessed the service tech drive the van. No comment from "Kelly". I am hesitate to let LH or any dealership put in another 'new' or 'rebuilt' transmission in my van because who is to say that the same thing will not happen in another 40-70K miles. Since Christmas I have read so many stories on the forums. And my story is like one of thousands of consumers who own Honda Odysseys that have had to replace their transmission 3 – 4 – 5 times. I am anger. I have owned Honda products for over twenty years and swore by them until now. Honda put my family in danger & they have done the same to other Honda owners who were once very loyal. This cannot continue. They have to be made accountable.

- , North Edwards, CA, USA