CarComplaints.com Notes: The entire 2nd generation Odyssey (1999-2004) is just one giant transmission problem waiting to happen.

2002 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Odyssey:

2002 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Jul 152013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission does not shift from 2 gear to 3 gear it is a known issues with all Honda vans.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Jul 142013

Odyssey 6-cyl

My Honda Odyssey started showing symptoms of transmission failures on 14-July. Gears shifting between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd was noticeable, it would not pick speed while entering freeway. Also, check engine light came up, tcs starts blinking when this gears shift happening, also D sign blinks. I went to redwood city, ca Honda dealer, where I service my car all the time. www.Honda-rc.com/ they told me they don't do transmission and suggested I work with other companies like aamco. I read www.odysseytransmission.com and understand this is known problem but Honda is not forthcoming and helping owners to address this issue.

- Fremont, CA, USA

May 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission fails to shift smoothly from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. Engine RPM increases suddenly because the transmission is slipping with a loss of acceleration. Shift is no longer smooth, when it finally shifts it occurs with a "bang". at 28000 miles, the transmission was "retrofitted" with the oil jet installed in the atf fill port during the recall on 7/3/2004. Atf has been routinely replaced at twice the recommended frequency (mileage: 28000, 65589, 93831, 120975) with only genuine Honda Z-1 at fluid. Accelerating into traffic is now performed with much more uncertainty and risk.

- West Springfield, MA, USA

Jun 212013

Odyssey

Start smoking transmission leaks oil then the RPM start up and down.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 072013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission slipping. Vehicle went through the recall process. Dealer/Honda say need a new transmission. Mentioned the recall and they said there is nothing they can do about it. It seems a wide spread problem and the recall was not extensive enough. Honda should have replaced the transmission to begin with. Approximate repair cost is $4200.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Mar 132013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I called Honda dealership (Honda motorwerks, lacrosse, wi) with concerns about erratic shifting between 1st and 2nd gear and also a loud clunking sound when shifting gears. I was told to bring vehicle to dealership and they would install an oil jet kit that would take less than an hour. They mentioned nothing about a mandatory inspection for heat discoloration which could lead to them installing a new transmission. I cancelled appt when I learned installing the jet kit would "close the recall" on my vehicle. I hesitated calling Honda motorwerks to begin with after owning an 80's model Honda civic that had a recall on the gas filler pipe that I was not aware of. I ordered the pipe, paid them and installed it myself and the whole time they knew it was under recall but said nothing to me when I went to pick the part up. Now they are trying to pull a fast one on me again. This dealership proved they can not be trusted and by the hundreds of complaints on the Odyssey's transmission it is obvious that no matter what Honda dealership you take your vehicle to, you will be stuck with a huge repair bill. Mine has yet to be fixed and vehicle is unsafe to drive.

- Viroqua, WI, USA

Apr 112013

Odyssey 6-cyl

My 2002 Honda Odyssey has 125000 miles on it and my transmission is failing. A vehicles transmission is supposed to last the life of a vehicle and my van has a lot more life left in it except for the transmission. It seems to be a problem Honda should fix. I love my Honda van I just want it fixed I cannot afford $4800 dollar transmission repair especially since this is a Honda problem. Please Honda fix these transmissions so I can keep loving my van!!!

- Rome, NY, USA

Apr 232013

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the transmission slipped gears with the illumination of the engine warning indicator. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where it was found that there was a problem with the transmission Pilot control. In July 2004, the vehicle was repaired under the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 04V176000 (power train). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 127,000.

- Meigs, GA, USA

Mar 012011

Odyssey 6-cyl

I brought my Odyssey in to Honda for an oil change, on the way over the transmission indicator light (amber) came on. I asked the Honda shop to look into the indicator light issue. Upon returning to pick up the Odyssey, the technician informed me that the code was a P0740, and I had to replace the transmission.I left the dealership a bit confused, since the vehicle didn't display any shifting issues. On the way home (about 45 miles), the vehicle seemed to pop out of gear (when I pressed the accelerator the car did not accelerate and I had to pull over to the shoulder, turn the vehicle off, start it back up, and then continue). Now this issue happens constantly, the car fails inspections because of it, and now I am faced with a $3000 transmission replacement. According to Honda's website, the transmission campaign was fixed back in 2004. Very disappointed in how Honda handled the matter.

- Mount Airy, NC, USA

Mar 222013

Odyssey

Bad tranny an I just bought this car. Now to spend more money on your defect. Honda offers zero help class action lawsuit please.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Nov 152011

Odyssey 6-cyl

On-going slipping transmission. Tranny shop and a Honda salesperson both guessed I had an Odyssey when I prefaced our conversation by saying I have a 2002 minivan with a bad tranny. Clearly Honda Odyssey' have a problem. Too bad Honda did not get the memo.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Sep 032012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Vehicle started emitting large amount of smoke from engine compartment, coincident with abrupt loss of speed and failure of transmission. It behaved as if it initiated downshift autonomously (without driver initiation). I was just able to move out of traffic lanes on interstate highway, avoiding serious injury or death from speeding vehicles. Car cel displays "P0740", transmission continues to malfunction: Flares between shifts from gears 2-3, 3-4; occasionally fails to shift from 3-4 until engine revolutions exceed 4000 RPM, then by removing pressure on accelerator, will then usually perform shift. Extreme transmission smoking, expulsion of transmission fluid, lack of transmission capability has now occurred a total of three times.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power...would not shift into higher gear. Vehicle continues to have problems. I have been told needs new transmission. Have read many posts regarding issues with Honda Odyssey having transmission problems.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jan 132010

Odyssey 6-cyl

At right around 80K miles the van started severely slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear. Took it to dealership and they told me I needed a whole new transmission for $5K. Do not have money for new transmission. Stuck to driving it below 35mph for the last two years, that leaves me in a 6 mile radius. Can not even drive it to the dealership. I and the original owner. This car was babied and always serviced at Honda. Feel this is a known issue by Honda and they are refusing to acknowledge a faulty transmission in these vehicles.

- Sedona, AZ, USA

May 032010

Odyssey 6-cyl

Honda Odyssey vehicles apparently have a well known transmission problem. Models from multiple years (including mine: 2002) have short lives compared to any other vehicle I've seen before. Worse yet, Honda refuses to admit that this is a problem, nor will Honda offer any help paying for the very costly repairs. And worst of all, even if the transmission is replaced (ultimately, the only fix that Honda recommends), the new transmission will also fail prematurely! besides causing outrageous repair and maintenance costs, it's really a dangerous problem for the public besides. The transmission can fail unexpectedly leading to an accident.

- Fairview Heights, IL, USA

Nov 222012

Odyssey 6-cyl

2002 Honda minivan Odyssey transmission started slipping while vehicle on motion at around 40 mph. I took 2002 Honda minivan to dealership; they suggested a transmission replacement cost around $ 4500! called american Honda and enquired about any recall, Honda mentioned about the second gear recall, but I think the second gear automatic transmission recall not solved the transmission problem. Requested some help to sole this manufacturing defect. American Honda turned down my request and I spend around 4000 for transmission repair.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 062012

Odyssey 6-cyl

On 12/12/12 Honda announced a recall on 2003-2004 Odyssey's, Pilot's and Acura MDX's for being able to remove the key from the ignition with the vehicle in drive (with the vehicle turned off). This may allow the vehicle to roll forward or backwards. I have a 2002 Odyssey and have this same issue. I reported it to rousch Honda in westerville, oh around 11/12/12. They stated that they could not touch the ignition cylinder. They made it sound like there was a law against it. I stated that my van could roll away if left in drive (which I have done) and they did not change their stance. My van is not included in this recall but it has the same issue and potential danger and needs fixed.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Nov 262012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Car was recalled in 2004 for installation of a supplemental cooling kit (following successful class action lawsuit for prior model years). Transmission is now snatching when cold and obvious slippage in 2nd gear. Research shows that this is a known and recurring defect in this model year. American Honda refuses any assistance. I am the original owner and the vehicle has had all service done at the dealer.

- Napa, CA, USA

Oct 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I have been having problems with my car starting after several tries it will start, but a couple months age I was having slipping problems, then now I went to get my car smoged and it didn't pass inspection. I have read about all the recalls, and I bought my car as a used car and was unaware of the recall for the transmission at that time. It cost a lot of money for Honda to fix all these transmissions, and they are refusing to help their people, this is my second Honda, I am a single mom of three and work 12 hours a day. I take care of our dying elderly and I need a dependable car if not we all loose, I do believe there should be another class action law suit after all I read, everyone is unhappy with their Honda cars, it's a shame. Someone please help us.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Oct 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission hanging up between 2nd and 3rd gear. When put in reverse, takes several second for transmission to engage. Honda dealer advised transmission needs to be replaced as it failed at the cost of over $4000. For a vehicle that was purchased brand new and maintained by the dealer, seems to be a engineering failure of the transmission.

- West Caldwell, NJ, USA