CarComplaints.com Notes: The entire 2nd generation Odyssey (1999-2004) is just one giant transmission problem waiting to happen.

2002 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Odyssey:

2002 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Dec 242011

Odyssey

Transmission light started blinking and started slipping. Transmission and engine mounts were replaced at a cost of $2744. All maintenance prior to that was scheduled and performed at the local Honda dealership.

- Thomasville, GA, USA

Jan 272011

Odyssey 6-cyl

I began having trouble on the transmission with slipping gears (2nd and 3rd) a few weeks ago, and jerky shifting when going into reverse, drive, etc. I've had to release the accelerator and reapply it to engage the gears several times a day. Tcs and check engine light were on. This happened to me in the past but the errors went out. The last time I have to reset the power by removing one connector of the battery.

- La Palma, CA, USA

Jan 022012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Private sale purchase Feb 2009, 80K. Since 06/2011, transmission shifts hard. Transmission is increasingly missing gear. High engine revs between shifting 1->2. had transmission serviced per recommendations, non Honda service station. Recently had the fluid changed. Same service station has been working on this car since it was purchased. We have been maintaining at a local non Honda dealer. I have been doing business with this service station for 25 years.

- Henrietta, NY, USA

Apr 032006

Odyssey

When my vehicle reached 85,000 miles, my transmission started to slip. The transmission need to be replaced. As a vehicle owner, I would expect a transmission to last around 100,000/150,000 miles. In 9/2011, I barely reached another 87,000 miles when the transmission started to slip again. I had my 4 young children in the car.  the car would no longer accelerate as I was going up a bridge. The road had no shoulder to pull over on.  I was in very great danger as 18 wheelers tried to pass me. I needed a new transmission. Priority Honda in chesapeake quoted me $6000 to replace. I felt that it was Honda responsibility to replace their faulty transmission. I called american Honda. The rep informed me that it would have to be the 2nd gear. Priority said that it had something to do with the torque converter.  I went elsewhere to have my vehicle repaired. I had 3 other locations that told me it was the 2nd and 3rd gears slipping. I feel that priority Honda had totally disregarded me as a customer. I have always taken my vehicle in to a Honda dealer for maintenance/repairs.  whatever I was told that I needed done, I would have done. I am disappointed in the service I received from priority Honda from the same rep from the past 8 yrs. This past week, once again, my van has left me stranded on the side of the highway with my 4 young children. Transmission again. Unfortunately, this was due to the workmanship of the company that has replaced the transmission.  I feel that this could have been avoided. First, if Honda made a transmission that was reliable, I would have not had to replace it two times. Second, if Honda would stand behind their product, I would not have had to outsource to have the work done. I feel that my vehicle is in a stated of unreliability and with 4 young children ranging from ages 3 to 11, I can no longer put our safety at risk.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Dec 302011

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the transmission would not shift from second to third gear while driving approximately 25 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileages were 39,000.

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

Dec 102011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Prior the transmission failure, I was listening to a weird sound coming from the engine compartment. I took the vehicle to a Honda dealer where they diagnostic a transmission problem. Only after 3 or 4 weeks, I was driving about 30 mph when the transmission started failing. I was able to make a U-turn and take the car home. After that the car is sitting in my driveway unable to move. I am very disappointed with Honda due to all of the complaints about the same problem and they just have ignored all of them. Shame on you Honda!!!

- Fishkill, NY, USA

Nov 212011

Odyssey

The contact owns 2002 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle unexpectedly surged forward. The check engine light also illuminated during the failure. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 77,879 and the current mileage was 78,200.

- Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Jul 272011

Odyssey 6-cyl

The van fails to gain speed and does not go beyond 20-25 miles per hour occasionally. Most of the times it happens after stop N go situation at the traffic lights or entering a freeway if you have to stop at the entry due to metering on during heavy traffic times. No accident yet, but can cause serious accident. Honda refuses to take responsible of poor design or workmanship yet it seems to be a well know problem with Honda Odyssey 2002.

- Sammamish, WA, USA

Sep 282011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Failed on interstate @ 50mph.

- Osceola, IN, USA

Nov 242011

Odyssey 6-cyl

At 115000 miles the transmission started getting stuck in neutral between 1st and 2nd gear. I took it in to a mechanic who said it looked like the transmission was failing but no codes were coming up. A couple weeks later as the transmission slipped my check engine light came on as well as the tcs light. I took it back to the mechanic who got the code P0730 and told me the transmission needed to be replaced. I got a hold of my dealer who could not help me but could replace the transmission at full price. Honda Corp. Just hung up on me when I started asking them about the recall back in 2004. I spoke with a co-worker about there 2002 Honda Odyssey and there transmission went 2 months ago with under 100,000 miles. He also had problems speaking with Corp. & dealer I will never buy Honda again!!

- Fairview Park, OH, USA

Jul 072011

Odyssey

Transmission was not shifting correctly ---loud noises and the engine was revving and van was going nowhere---could only move if speed was kept under 20mph kept in first gear----------brought vehicle to my mechanic for diagnosis( he told me the tranny was bad and needed to be replaced ) only having mileage in the 54000-55000 range and knowing the vehicle was driven around town and the occasional vacation trip since we bought it new. I called Honda and was given a case number and they told me they would not honor my mechanics diagnosis and I needed to bring it to a Honda dealer. They agreed and told me the transmission needed to be replaced also and charged me $120 for my "diagnosis". they also informed me they could replace the transmission and computer for $7800. They told me both the computer and transmission needed to be replaced at the same time in order to have a "warranty" applied to the new transmission. I asked which item was bad the transmission or computer that told the tranny to shift at the correct RPM. They would not answer the question just that the home office has set this precedent ---both need to be replaced at the same time. Seems as though they don't have an idea what is going on or just covering themselves. My mechanic replaced the transmission and computer with genuine Honda parts for a little under $5000 and I have the "warranty" they offered as well. I am still waiting for Honda America to review and help me out with paying for repairs that I feel were very premature for the age and mileage of their outstanding and best selling minivan prior to the replacement the dealer offered me $750 for my fully loaded minivan ------great people these Honda dealers............. you decide-----me I can't wait to sell this piece of cra_.

- Blauvelt, NY, USA

Jun 112007

Odyssey 6-cyl

The transmission was slipped in 2007. It was brought to Acura dealer for checkup and was informed nothing can be reproduced. Since then the issue has been on and off. The transmission was slipped again between 2nd and 3rd geared and cel(check engine light) was on Nov 17 2011. The vehicle seems stuck in the neutral for few seconds on the highway and it was lucky there are not accident. The vehicle was brought to Honda/Acura dealer again for diagnoses and no issue was able to be reproduced.. call up american Honda service hotline, I was told it was beyond 3years/36000 warranty and nothing can be done.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Nov 092011

Odyssey 6-cyl

On November 1, 2005, david hobbs Honda dealership inspected the transmission of my Odyssey at 37,000 miles. Under the recall, the vehicle qualified for "oil jet kit." [our other Honda, an Accord, got a new transmission.] like my Accord, the recall should have led to a new transmission because six years later at 111,000 miles, the Odyssey started to severely slip gears and have trouble moving into the next gear. It could not get into 3rd or 4th, often requiring me to move to the side of traffic so cars could pass at normal mph. The engine light and tcs light stayed on. I took the Odyssey to a Honda specialist mechanic shop, carisma motors, where the Odyssey has had regular and recommended service since 2002. Carisma motors determined the transmission needed to be replaced at the cost of $4,200 for a Honda transmission. Carisma informed me that transmission failures were very common. I called american Honda to say it should have replaced the transmission back in 2005 and should offer some recourse for the faulty transmission, especially since it is so prevalent with Odyssey. After being put on hold (so the agent could presumably check with a higher up), I was told no recourse would be given because of the age of the vehicle and the mileage. Honda knew or should have know in 2005 that the transmission needed to be replaced. The oil jet was a band aid to get Honda past the warranty the recall demanded. Honda should not have been allowed to avoid transmission replacements with the oil jet "resolution". Honda should offer its customers a remedy for its faulty oil jet remedy.

- Mequon, WI, USA

Nov 132011

Odyssey

While driving in heavy traffic with my 3 children in the car the gears suddenly were not engaging and the vehicle not responding properly and we slowed down considerably and without warning to drivers around us. During the drive home this happened several times. I was thankful to get home safely.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Dec 152008

Odyssey 6-cyl

While driving our van in December 2008 it suddenly started giving uneven response to the speed changes and I could feel the problem was transmission related. When we took it to the Honda dealer they confirmed it was a bad transmission. Since I had bought an extended warranty the warranty company sent the dealer another used Honda Odyssey transmission as replacement. It however failed, too, in may this year (2011) and the warranty company replaced it with another used transmission. This third one has now started giving the same trouble since last couple days and I will have to take the van to the dealer again. I believe there's a class action suit going on against Honda on the East coast about the transmission issue and I would like to be a party on that one! thanks!

- Clifton, VA, USA

Nov 022011

Odyssey 6-cyl

My 2002 Honda Odyssey's transmission failed. The code P0730 gear ratio incorrect was the problem that was given by the Honda dealership. The mileage on my vehicle is 127,263. There was no clear warning, the car hesitated on the way to the dealer and when I got there the dealer said I needed a new transmission at the cost of $3800 and they also said I needed three engine mounts at a cost of $920. On the internet I have seen hundreds of complaints about this code P0730 for the 2002 Honda Odyssey but there has never been a recall. We need a recall on this item code P0730 transmission failure and gear ratio incorrect.

- Ellenwood, GA, USA

Oct 262011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission failure. I was diriving down a city road 25 mph and it would not speed up to the 35 miles, it just revved and the rpms went high. Went to side of reoad, turned off vehicle. Restarted and it worked but then 1/2 block later same issue. Took it to Honda to diagnose, and the transmission had failed.

- Three Lakes, WI, USA

May 152011

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the vehicle would hesitate between first and third gears. There was also an extreme increase in engine rpms and the vehicle would not respond to reverse attempts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they confirmed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 108,000 and the current mileage was 116.000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 192011

Odyssey

My transmission began slipping in 2nd gear. Now the tcs light comes on, sometimes the D light blinks. I took it to the Honda dealership and they said in "good faith" they would cover half of another transmission. Appox $3,000 - $4,500 out of my pocket. Why should the consumer have to pay a penny if the transmissions in the Odyssey have known cases of failed transmissions. All of the consumer posts I have been reading are the same. Why has there not been a lawsuit filed against Honda" who is on the side of the consumer? why can't americans have the same help as our local government"

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 112011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission went out after taking to Honda for service. They flushed out transmission and added new fluid. Quoted $4800 for new one or $4200 for a rebuilt one.

- Kailua, HI, USA