8.0

$2,068.00

1. replace transmission and computer (2 reports)
  2. diy (1 reports)
2002 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Odyssey:

2002 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Jun 142011

Odyssey 6 cyl

I've been smoking the Honda weed for years and when my shop told me the tranny was blown (I love saying that!), I thought it was just our bad luck- what else could it be; Honda makes good stuff??!! Now I see that the fact that I had the exact same problem on my 2001 MDX was no coincidence. I'm detoxing off the Honda chronic and ready to go to another brand.

How it is that Honda has escaped public scrutiny on this is a total shock. I apologize here to all the UAW folks I bad mouthed over the years. It appears Chrysler never had an exclusive on trashmissions. Honda appears to have been frozen in between decisions to fix it and preserve their reputation and loyal customer base at considerable expense or....go through the motions, save the coin and hope the noise stayed low until we all forgot about it. I won't forget that Honda has made a bad transmission and a worse business decision by not owning up. The worst of this is how Honda acts as if they have no prior experience with any of this and then makes you go through the motions to have a Honda dealer do the work for 25% more.

I'm done with Honda. I may have to get rid of the lawnmower too on general principle but they do make good small engines.

- , Naperville, United States, USA

Jun 012010

Odyssey EX 3.5L

2002 odyssey shudders and sometimes missed 3rd gear all together. Slipped (slow shifting)

going into 4th gear. Impeccable maintenance. Drove for a number of months like this. Vehicle became unreliable. Never wanted to wander too far from home so I decided to take it to the dealer. Was told transmission need to be replaced. Service manager was able to get honda to pay for half of the $5000 bill. $2500 is still a lot of money.

Paid more up front when I bought this van for the Honda quality I've heard so much about. If I had only known what I was in for I would have skipped it all together. This is my first and last Honda. I'll stick with a Toyota from now on.

- , Saratoga Springs, New York, USA

Sep 152008

Odyssey EX V6

Spend $200 on parts, $200 on tools, 6 weeks of research (Service manuals, planning, and execution). Done!

Knowing I don't have to pay $4000 for re-manufactured transmission . . . priceless.

- , Hickory, NC, USA