Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The entire 2nd generation Odyssey (1999-2004) is just one giant transmission problem waiting to happen.

1. replace (14 reports)
2002 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Odyssey:

2002 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 042009

Odyssey EX-L Vortec V6

Our 2002 Odyssey, billed as the best minivan ever, has been suffering from a quirky transmission. It slips, bangs into gear when shifting, and is quite unpredictable. The dealer states that based on our VIN # it is not covered beyond the 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty. My loyalty to Honda has expired as well. The vehicle has been well maintained, tranny serviced with HONDA oil, and yes the recall for the 2nd gear jet completed. A friend in the transmission put it this way; The unit is faulty. He also stated that he does not feel that Honda has done anything of merit to the upgraded units either. We had a Prelude that we loved and never had a problem of any kind. Honda's attitude regarding this matter as well as the Odyssey's poor service makes us say....No more Honda's EVER!

- , Levittown, NY, USA

Jul 262014

Odyssey EX-L 3.5L V6

I purchased my Odyssey new in '02. I had no idea they had transmission issues until I spoke with my sister recently, who had an '01 Odyssey and after the first few years her transmission failed. Luckily for her it was still under warranty. Unfortunately for me, I have no such luck. My Odyssey has run well these past 12 years except for now. I'm upset that I have to pay $3300 for a rebuilt transmission. But if I can get another 110,000 miles out of it I'll be happy. Though, I doubt I'll ever purchase another Honda.

- , Stroudsburg, PA, USA