7.7

$2,814.00

1. bad primer from honda. must repaint all over (18 reports)
  3. will have to repaint affected areas (8 reports)
  4. repaint (7 reports)
  5. factory "extended warranty" (2 reports)
2003 Honda Odyssey body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Odyssey:

2003 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jan 012008

Odyssey EX V6

We have a 2003 Honda Odyssey. It recently started peeling paint on the hood and around the sliding doors. The car is still covered under extended warranty. We have been told by four separate auto body repair shops that our paint if failing due to a primer problem. We were even told this by the auto body shop that our local Honda dealer referred us to. We went through our local Honda dealer and met with the regional Honda representative last week. We were initially told by the Honda rep that we had obviously received a poor paint job after the vehicle had been purchased. After it was established through his own testing that it was indeed the factory paint job he then stated that we must have driven through some sort of environmental chemical thus causing the peeling paint and that Honda would offer us $300.00 as a goodwill gesture. We filed an appeal through Honda and were just told today that they again would not cover the cost to repair the peeling paint. Of course we can�t get our insurance company to cover it nor should they because every body shop we go to says it is a manufactures primer failure. It appears through online research that the midnight blue Honda color is having this problem on multiple vehicles. Honda seems arbitrary in their decisions to cover it or not cover it. Do we as a consumer have any other recourse? I am so disgusted with they way we have been treated that I am willing to pursue this legally out of a pure ethical obligation.

- , Mckinleyville, CA, USA

Jun 012007

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

click to see larger images

paint is peeling/chipping all over the body

Midnight Blue Color. The problem started as a small blister and then spread. These areas were half their current size before a 500 mile Thanksgiving road trip. The wind from driving is blowing the paint off the hood. We can't wash the car without paint falling off. The area on the hood is the worst. The interior area above the rear door is also peeling. I've also noticed an area beginning on the roof. I showed the dealer when I first noticed the the blistering on the hood and he informed me it was beyond the warranty period and there was nothing he could do. Were going back again tomorrow.

- , Jefferson, LA, USA

Dec 102007

Odyssey V6

Paint is starting to flake off passenger side sliding door. I can see more bubbles starting. I am about to call dealer but wanted to see if anyone else is having same problem. From what I read it does not look promising.

- , Frenchtown, NJ, USA

Aug 012007

Odyssey V6

Honda American Motor Co. is not going to pay to fix the peeling paint on our Honda Odyssey. It is clearly a problem with the paint or painting process. The paint is peeling above the rear windows at the seal and about the driver's side sliding door. We received word back from Honda today (01 August 2007)that, "It is unfortunate that you experienced any difficulty, however, the new vehicle limited warranty was expired at 3 years/36,000 miles. Unfortunately, we regret to dent your request for assistance." We are now stuck paying for Honda's painting mistake (which was 300 Euros--$450) for me to fix when it was just the ONE window! Advise against buying a Honda because they refuse to deal with this problem.

- , Apo, AE, USA

Oct 092007

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

This looks like a problem with the paint primer. It looks like the paint did not adhere to the primer properly. The paint is starting to peel everywhere, but so far on surfaces that are not directly exposed. The paint is peeling under the rear hatch, under the hood, and next to the rearmost side vent windows.

I have a Honda extended warranty, but it EXCLUDES Paint. Even though this appears to be a factory defect, I doubt if Honda will cover it. I am waiting to hear their response to my complaint.

- , Allen, TX, USA

Oct 272007

Odyssey EXL V6

Paint peeling above the sliding door window and in the hidden are under the tailgate (can only see when the door is open). I understand the my car is now out of warranty and I did not buy an extended warranty, but I buy Honda's because they are reported to be reliable. For the most part, Honda's are not fun, attractive nor for most part even cheap -- so they should be reliable. To me reliable means that no major systems should fail in the first 100k assuming that they are maintained to factory specs. Paint falling off the car in year three with less than 30k on the odometer is a major failure and unacceptable. Problems like this remind me of American cars a few years ago and why every other car in this country now is Japanese. I will not be buying another Honda since they seem to not be as reliable as I once thought. The dealer will not cover this as it simply is out of warranty -- logical. But Honda should try to make cars that are reliable because they have little else going for their automobiles.

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

Sep 082007

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

paint began chipping in the tracks of the sliding side doors, obviously not due to rocks or road debris. Now large patches are popping off the hood. It is extremely ugly. Came to this site to see if this has been a common problem. From the data here it appears to be a frequent issue.

- , Willow Spring, NC, USA

Aug 012007

Odyssey EX

UPDATE from Kelly in Dayton, OH:

Two weeks ago, I was at a Honda dealership getting my car's interior detailed for our vacation to Canada. This is not the dealership where I purchased the vehicle. Anyway, as I was dropping off my car, I threw in a complaint about the the hood and my bad primer. The customer rep guy took a look at it and agreed that for a car with only 60K miles, this should not be happening. He told me he would look into it and get back with me. He said, "I'm not promising anything, but I'll look into it". He called me back later in the day, saying "Good News" and that Honda was going to repaint the peeling areas. What a shock! I didn't expect it.... as the body shop told me it was hopeless that Honda would help, they checked into it too. So, I am wondering if maybe the dealership is taking care of the paint job... maybe they didn't even contact Honda. I am glad they are taking care of it.... but an email from someone in Germany worries me. Her doors are peeling too. My doors have no signs of peeling (yet!). What happens when other areas

start doing the same? I have a feeling I'll end up having to have the car repainted somewhere down the road..... at my expense.

What is the color of your vans? Mine is Midnight Blue. They mentioned the midnight blue seems to be having more problems.

Kelly

Dayton, OH

- , Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 102007

Odyssey EX

I purchased , my 2003 Honda Odyssey brand new and it was my first Honda. For years, I have heard what great vehicles Hondas are. I noticed that the paint on my hood started coming off. There is now one section that is about 6" in diameter. I first thought that maybe my car was hit with hail.... or possible rock damage from highway driving. That is, until my co-worker noticed more paint peeling around the windows on the side of the van. It was peeling in a "grooved" area, that would have little contact with the outside elements. So, it was obvious the problem is not environmental! I took the van to a body shop and the diagnosis is manufacturer's BAD PRIMER! They contacted my local Honda dealership in Beavercreek, Ohio and were told that Honda is NOT doing anything regarding the faulty primer. I'm in the kitchen remodeling business, and I can tell you that if customers called me after only 4 years with their cabinet's finish coming off..... my manufacturer's would do something about it! And I would make sure my client was taken care of. I am not happy with the dealer's attitude. I have not called Honda's customer service number yet. I am still gathering information. Please email me or post here if you've had a similar problem. My vehicle cost $30K and it will cost me about 1/5th or 1/6th of that to have repainted. I am more than mad.... and if Honda doesn't back this up, it will be the last Honda I ever buy again.

- , Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 252007

Odyssey LX V6

We bought a 2003 Honda Certified Odyssey in June of '06 with 58,000 miles. By January '07 we noticed small bubbles forming on the hood. When we took it to the dealership for maintenance and showed it to them and they said it was from rocks. A few weeks later the paint was peeling off inches at a time, so we took it back. The dealership informed us that Honda's were suppose to peel like and that they weren't going to do anything about it. Now the paint is peeling under the hood and by the back window where rocks can't hit.

- , Gulfport, MS, USA

Jul 122007

Odyssey V6

Vehicle has two patches of missing paint, both over the automatic sliding back doors, one on each side. Concerned that the peeling will continue to grow and may lead to rusting. the Car is a leased car and am afraid that the dealership will try to charge us for their manufacturing problem... thereby forcing us to buy it.

- , Rye Brook, NY, USA

Feb 222007

Odyssey EXL V6

I am very upset, since we have not had this vehicle very long! I'm not sure I should report this to my insurance company because I don't want my premiums escalating. At the same time I don't want the repairs to cost me an arm and a leg. Has anyone else had this problem with a 2003 Odyssey? Your comments are welcome. Thanks.

- , St. Libory, IL, USA