2003 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Odyssey:

2003 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 10 of 10)

Jan 282011

I was in my 2003 Odyssey with my daughter when the van lost all power merging on to the freeway. The tcs and check engine lights came on and then the van would no longer accelerate. We came extremely close to having an accident. I took the van to the Honda dealer and they reported back that the transmission had completely failed with only 73K miles. In 2004 I took the van to the dealer for the transmission recall (NHTSA campaign #04V176000), but it did not prevent it's future failure. I have regularly performed the factory required transmission maintenance, but this was not enough for the faulty transmissions in Odyssey from 2001-2004. Honda said in a recent report that insufficient cooling can lead to heat build-up and broken gears in the transmission. In rare instances, gear breakage could lock up the transmission. Gear failure could result in transmission lockup, which could result in a crash. Honda of America will not cover the replacement of my transmission even though they know that there have been pervasive failures with transmissions on the 2003 Odyssey. Honda has not taken full responsibility for the epidemic of Odyssey transmission failures. There needs to be a recall of all 2003 Odyssey transmissions!

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 242010

Honda of clear lake in webster, tx informed me that all the motor mounts were broken and needed to be replaced on my 2003 Honda Odyssey with 61,711 miles on the odometer. The dealership wrote $$$$$$$$$$$$ for their estimate. I've read online many other Honda Odyssey owners with the same complaints. The motor mount designs are defective to have failed so soon. There needs to be a recall. I replaced the motor mounts on my Toyota corolla at 180,000 miles for a comparison.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 152010

I have not had an accident or injury due to this, but my 2003 Honda Odyssey can be turned off and the keys removed while the vehicle is still in gear. I have had it roll back a few feet before I caught it a couple of times.

- Sandy Springs, GA, USA

Jan 052009

The key for my 2003 Odyssey can be pulled out in any gear. It has already resulted in a small collision. When the car was parked on a small incline, I failed to put the car in park when I pulled out my key. The car subsequently rolled down the incline and crashed into a parked car. The Honda dealer indicated the ignition switch needed to be replaced because it was worn. In the meantime, I now just try to always remember to set the parking brake and double check when I park that the car is actually in park before I pull the key.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Mar 052010

The shift interlock failed in my 2003 Honda Odyssey and it rolled backwards in a parking garage and hit two parked cars. I was able to take the keys out of the ignition in any gear and apparently that day I pulled my keys out of the ignition while it was still in drive. The parking space seemed level so I didn't apply the parking brake. It must have rolled when other cars drove past. I called Honda that day to report it and attempted to get them to pay for the failure. They wouldn't pay saying the car was out of warranty. I had the problem fixed at my local Honda dealership for just over $500 the damage to my car was over $2500 and I did damage to two other cars that my insurance company had to pay for. Thankfully no one was around and no one got hurt. This happened in a hospital parking garage.

- Pepperell, MA, USA

Dec 182009

2003 Honda Odyssey has a unintended acceleration and had to apply brakes severely to control the vehicle this happened twice for the vehicle and was informed to the dealer and Honda of usa.

- Paramus, NJ, USA

Nov 142009

Unreliable shifting between 2nd 3rd gears.

- Portland, OR, USA

Sep 152002

Consumer state her parents are older and bought a 2003 automobile and is how having trouble with the transmission. She states that the buyer states that the transmission is not shifting smoothly. She says that they have taken it back to the dealership 3 or 4 times and cannot seen to get it repaired.

- New Richmond, IN, USA