2003 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Odyssey:

2003 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 5 of 10)

Mar 282013

Odyssey 6-cyl

2003 Honda Odyssey was brought into the dealership for an interlock recall. After work was completed and leaving the dealership the vehicle shuddered violently. This was not the case when the vehicle was brought in.

- Hacienda Heights, CA, USA

Oct 042011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission slipped pulling out onto road, barely avoiding a bad accident.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Mar 092013

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 65 mph, the vehicle failed to respond to acceleration attempts. The vehicle was moved to the shoulder and was towed to a private mechanic where it was found that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was being repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure and current mileage was 104,000.

- Chambersburg, PA, USA

Jan 262013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission was running very good then go in dealer shop service for a routine transmission fluid service, after 5 miles away from dealer shop, my car was shoot down and transmission dead._ of course the Honda dealer shop don't accept their responsibility.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Dec 262012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I use this vehicle for family Transport (my wife and two kids, 11 and 9) and to drive to work and back. The first incident occurred while I was driving on a dry paved 4 lane road (moderate traffic) through a residential area, traveling with my 9 year old son seat belted into his seat directly behind me in the middle row passenger seat. I was traveling about 30 mph when the vehicle abruptly upshifted. It jarred me enough that it caused my left elbow to bump the window and it caused me to slightly swerve into the adjacent lane. My son asked me if that was going to happen again. Thankfully it didn't happen again with him in the car. The second incident happened almost a week later when I was traveling 45-50 mph, this time the sudden force left me with a sore elbow. I have parked the van and am now borrowing a vehicle until the repair can be made.

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Jan 222008

Odyssey 6-cyl

Honda Odyssey 2003 was purchased used on 10/31/06. (no mention of a recall) Jan 22, 2008 van began to slip gears.  had it towed to aamco for transmission repair due to free towing.  charged $3062.06 to rebuild transmission. April 10, 2009 van again began to slip gears. Took back to aamco and needed another rebuilt transmission and 3 mos out of warranty. Charged us $1587.55. June 22, 2010 van is packed with the entire family going to our vacation destination in SC, the transmission again begins to slip.  called the local aamco and they picked up the van.  same story, needed another rebuilt transmission in the amount of $2406.59. After spending our vacation week with phone calls to Honda corporate and aamco to no avail, we had to borrow money from relatives in order to get our family back home.    July 20, 2011 van is again packed with entire family to travel to nc vacation.  30 minutes outside of our hometown, louisville, ky it happened again!  13 months after last repair. We had the van towed to our nearest aamco dealer.  we fortunately were able to borrow a car from a family member and continue with our vacation trying not to despair.  the new tab from aamco is $2835.60. No assistance from Honda corporate nor aamco customer relations.  they are very, very hard to speak to.  just leave a message and wait to see if anyone calls you back.   this would make it $9891.80 in four years for four transmissions. There is a reason that these transmissions are not lasting.  there is a reason why they continue to fail right beyond the annual warranty. This is not right, this is not fair, this is not safe and Honda should back their products and stop ignoring this issue.  update:  01/11/13  Odyssey transmission fails once again on the way out of town and has been towed back to aamco!

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jan 052013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Consumer was experiencing jerks while was driving in D gear(automatic transmissions). On 01/05/2013, when consumer was driving on normal city roads, the check engine light and tcs light came on and the vehicle was giving lot of jerks. Consumer drove it back home and on 01/07/2013 took it to dealer. Dealer says it is incorrect gear ratio error code : P0730 and vehicle needs new transmission. Consumer saw similar complaints posted online in a lot of forums. Honda says vehicle is beyond warranty and will not pay for repairs. The manufacturer needs to be looked into why they will not identify this as a common issue and why should consumer pay thousands of dollars for transmission rebuild. Need help in following this up.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Sep 102010

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission was replaced at 67,000 miles and again at 99,500 miles on my Honda Odyssey. My first replacement was covered under an extended warranty, but the second was out of my pocket because I was told that the first transmission replacement had a 2 year or 20K mile warranty. I would like to know if there is any way to get compensated for the second replacement. Why isn't there a better solution? I would think any replacement should have a longer warranty, and a better, long lasting part. The Odyssey was purchased used by carmax, with no mention of any potential problems, and mechanics have never mentioned this was a bigger issue until my second replacement. Odyssey between 1999 and 2004 have a known transmission problem, but it seems that since the recall, there has been nothing to remedy this problem for current owners. This seems serious and could potentially be causing injuries or fatalities, especially since it is specifically purchased by families with children.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 232012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was sitting at a traffic light and as the light changed I mashed the accelerator to move forward the car started to rev up but wouldn't move. I put the car in park and then back in to gear. The car jerked and then started forward with engine still revving. The car finally slipped into gear and took off but kept going in and out of gear.

- Corinth, TX, USA

Nov 072012

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey.the contact stated that while traveling 60 mph the transmission failed. The contact stated that the engine continued to run, but the vehicle would not move. The contact stated the vehicle was taken in for recall campaign id number: 04V176000 (powertrain auotomatic transmission) for the second gear getting hot and the gears breaking. The contact stated that the recall repair was made in 2004 when the dealer placed the oil jet kit on the vehicle. The contact had the vehicle inspected by the dealer and they stated the transmissions failure was not connected to the recall. The manufacturer stated they would not replace the transmission. The failure and current mileage was 80,000. Updated 12/13/12 updated 1/10/2013

- Kensington, MD, USA

Sep 192012

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that when driving various speeds and the transmission was shifting from first to second gear, there was an abnormal shutter. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis where he was informed that the transmission would need a revision to the oil cooler return line to increase lubrication to the second gear. The contact was informed of NHTSA campaign id number: 04V176000 (power train:automatic transmission) and consulted with the dealer. The dealer advised that the recall was performed on the vehicle eight years prior. The manufacturer was notified and the contact was awaiting a return call. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 68,000.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Oct 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Vehicle was parked in a parking lot, light downhill. Vehicle was left and found 5 minutes later 12 meter further down, after a small crash with another parked vehicle. Bumper got scratches. The key can be removed from the ignition when the vehicle is in the N position.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Sep 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

We were driving on a freeway in a hilly area between san jose and sacramento, ca. 2003 Odyssey mileage was ~120K and speed was 60 miles/hr. All of a sudden the vehicle became jerky and gears wont engage and speed dropped tremendously. I narrowly averted a rear end accident and pulled the vehicle aside. After sometime, I was able to drive but still could notice the gears slipping and drove on the last lane. I search on net and found lots and lots of Honda Odyssey have transmission issues, but no recall has been made. I feel Honda should take moral responsibility on their part and replace the faulty parts. And more importantly I request NHTSA to prevent further accidents/loss of lives on our highways due to transmission failures of 2003 Honda Odyssey which imo are a ticking time bomb.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Oct 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

The car was in park with no keys in the ignition and my six year old bumped the shifter out of park and the vehicle rolled down the driveway with him inside. We were right next to the car and were able to jump in and hit the brakes. In a controlled setting, we have replicated this several times.

- Milford, CT, USA

Oct 272012

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while traveling 55 mph, the vehicle erroneously shifted into a lower gear. The contact was able to merge to the side of the road. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was confirmed that the transmission failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue. The failure and current mileages were 123,000.

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Oct 152012

Odyssey 6-cyl

My husband parked our 2003 Honda Odyssey in our driveway, alongside the main entrance to our home. He removed the key and went inside, placing the key in the usual location. He changed his shirt, intending to remove from the car the 4' X 8' sheet of exterior plywood he had just purchased. When he went back outside, the car had rolled backwards down our driveway and across the road, and was floating in the lake directly in front of our home. The car slowly sunk to the bottom of the lake. A tow truck was called and a diver located the vehicle in the 15 foot deep water. The insurance company "totaled" the car, and said the incident was the fault of the driver, for not putting the car in "park", even though the key had been removed. The car was not stopped on a sloping surface, but the weight of the plywood probably caused the car to roll backwards onto the sloping part of our driveway. Since there has been no recall based on this defect, the insurance company places full blame on the driver. How can I get them to not charge this incident to driver negligence? he has never had a chargeable accident, and this should not have happened, with the key removed from the ignition.

- Port St. Lucie, FL, USA

Oct 132012

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the vehicle was engaged in park and the engine was turned off when it rolled away and crashed into a neighboring home. The contact was slightly injured while attempting to stop the vehicle. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired for the failure. The failure and the current mileages were 115,000.

- West Yarmouth, MA, USA

Oct 042012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Our neighbor came over and asked why our Honda Odyssey was in the center of the street? luckily it had rolled down the sloping driveway backwards barely missed two parked cars in the driveway, the mailboxes, pedestrians and traffic on the street without hitting anything or anybody. Upon examination we found the transmission was in neutral and the ignition key could be removed while the transmission was in neutral. We also found that due to the design of the shift mechanism it is very easy for us to leave the Odyssey in neutral and remove the key. I see that Honda had a recall on ignition switches for this problem but this did not include the Odyssey minivans that to my knowledge have the same type ignition switch assembly.

- Cassopolis, MI, USA

Oct 092012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Indeed I can remove the ignition key from my 2003 Honda Odyssey van in any gear. If on a slope, the vehicle will roll away.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Sep 032012

Odyssey 6-cyl

The transmission/ignition key interlock failed, allowing the car to be left in "D" while the ignition key was removed. The car rolled partly out of our garage before it was stopped.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA