2003 Honda Odyssey electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Odyssey:

2003 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Aug 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

2003 Honda Odyssey. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall notice and seeks reimbursement for repairs. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer, after receiving a recall notice, which required the installation of an updated shift interlock lever. Later in the day, the consumer received a call from the dealer stating the vehicle needed a new ignition switch. The dealer stated they would install the new switch at a cost of $ 520. The consumer was satisfied with the work. However, he objected to being charged for the work, because according to the recall notice, it explicitly stated the work would be performed at no cost to the consumer. The recall notice stated an updated shift interlock lever and, if necessary, any necessary part of the ignition switch would be replaced. The service manager acknowledged that the ignition switch was a necessary part, he insisted, the consumer was obliged to pay for the installation. The consumer wrote Honda's national service department, explaining the situation and they wrote back rejecting his request for reimbursement. To justify their refusal of reimbursement, they imposed a narrow interpretation of the phrase any necessary part of the ignition switch. They claimed that it referred only to the shift interlock level itself, and they wanted to exclude what the recall notice actually said about any necessary part of the ignition switch.

- Newton, MA, USA

Oct 242011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Less than a week after we bought our van, the back passenger door wouldn't close properly. It was fixed prior to us buying the van. Since then we have had to get out and physically push on the door to close it. Also, had an incident where the door closed on a child's hand when it should have sensed it was there. Child was fine. New problem is we can't get drivers side sliding door to close properly. It will close and then pop open a little bit. Hubby has taken to "kicking" it in with his foot. We drive with the doors locked praying that they won't open like I have read about happening to so many folks. We bought the van because we have 3 kids but this is scary stuff. As we drive down the road there is a constant beeping sound like the door is open but it isn't lit up on the dash. I don't understand why no recall has been done to this year of Honda. Sounds like the same problems the earlier year Honda's have had. We are making payments on this van and can't afford to purchase anything else. Something really should be done before someone dies.

- Shelton, WA, USA

Jul 132013

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number 12V573000 (electrical system). After the remedy repair was performed, the key failed to turn in the ignition switch. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer, who informed that a part within the ignition switch would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced any malfunction with the ignition switch prior to the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Hopewell Junction, NY, USA

Jun 062012

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that once the vehicle was started, the shift lever failed to go into park or drive. The contact mentioned that she received a notice for NHTSA campaign number: 12V573000 (electrical system). The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician refused to do the repairs free of cost since they were requesting her to bring in the ignition pin. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was unknown. The consumer stated the technician refused to perform the recall, unless she brought in the ignition pin. The technician noticed the ignition switch had been tampered with /taken apart, as the pieces were missing. The interlock switch pin was missing from the vehicle. More than likely the consumer had the ignition worked on at an independent repair facility. A few reasons for this could be the result of the door chime not working or the chime is always on. The dealer is currently investigating if the repair can still be performed with the pin missing.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Mar 242013

Odyssey 6-cyl

We were returning from a family vacation traveling on the interstate highway system at 70 mph when, without any warning, all the dials on the dashboard (speedometer, tachometer, etc) suddenly went to zero then immediately returned to normal. I also noticed a burning smell. About two minutes later, while still traveling on the highway at 70 mph, the vehicle lost all acceleration. So we pulled to the side of the road. About a minute after we pulled over, the vehicle ceased all operations. My initial efforts to restart the vehicle were unsuccessful, but after 5 minutes, I was able to restart the vehicle. Again, the vehicle ceased operations after a few minutes. After investigating the vehicle, we decided to call a tow truck. While sitting on the side of the highway waiting for the tow truck, we turned on the vehicle again to operate the air conditioning. After about 10 minutes, we noticed the burning smell and puffs of smoke coming from the steering column. We turned off the vehicle and waited for the tow truck. The Honda dealership to which the vehicle was towed replaced the ignition switch and fixed the problem. They informed me the ignition switch "burned up" inside. I still have the part, if you care to inspect it. We were able to complete the remainder of our 700 mile journey home. Please note the dealership informed me the problem I experienced was completely different from the recent safety recall on this vehicle (recall 13-011) for the ignition shift interlock problem. While I normally do not file complaints of this nature, I am filing this complaint to bring this issue to your attention. Based on my research on the internet, I am not the only one experiencing this problem. Thankfully, no one was injured in my incident. However, it is very possible that serious injury can occur when a vehicle traveling at 70 mph loses power without any warning.

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Mar 182013

TL-the contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that he received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 12V573000 (electrical system). The vehicle was repaired under the recall and approximately one week later, the failure recurred. The contact stated that he was able to remove his key from the ignition without the gear shift being secured in park. The vehicle was not inspected for the failure after the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 144,300. The current mileage was approximately 144,539. The VIN was unavailable. Kmj

- Newark, NJ, USA

Oct 102012

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that key could not be turned in the ignition until after several attempts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the lever kit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 123,000.

- Carnation, WA, USA

Nov 222012

Odyssey 6-cyl

The mechanism that locks the key in the ignition until the vehicles is shifted into park fails and needs to be addressed by Honda.the key can be removed without shifting into park. This could cause the vehicles to roll off unexpectedly and hurt an innocent bystander or roll off into an intersection. This issue needs to be addressed immediately and Honda needs to address this key- ignition issue. Although I haven't suffered any accident I always try to remember to keep my car in park before removing the key. I have heard from several people this is a common issue with this model year for both the Odyssey and the Pilot.

- Brooklyn , NY, USA

Oct 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Vehicle was parked in a parking lot, light downhill. Vehicle was left and found 5 minutes later 12 meter further down, after a small crash with another parked vehicle. Bumper got scratches. The key can be removed from the ignition when the vehicle is in the N position.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Jul 252012

Vehicle was parked. Driver used front dash auto open button to open side door on driver's side. 6 year old child in the back seat had gotten out of her car seat and as the door was opening her leg slipped into the open space between the door and the retractor bar. The door did not register that there was an object and continued to press on her leg until driver was able to exit vehicle and pull sliding door handle to reverse direction to free up the child's leg. Leg was painful but no serious injury on this occasion.

- Shoreline, WA, USA

Dec 082010

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that he was able to remove the key from the ignition switch without having the vehicle in park. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 70,618. Updated 11/13/12 the consumer stated twice when the failure occurred, the consumer was just stepping out of the vehicle and managed to pull the emergency brake. The third time the consumer was not near the vehicle when it rolled into a wall, no damaged was caused. Updated 11/27/2012

- Kent , WA, USA

Oct 092012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Indeed I can remove the ignition key from my 2003 Honda Odyssey van in any gear. If on a slope, the vehicle will roll away.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Oct 042012

Odyssey 6-cyl

After turned off ignition and stepped out of car while in store car rolled away across parking lot damaging another vehicle. This is in response to the article read on your site about the 2003 Honda Odyssey rolling away after car has been turned off and keys are removed from ignition.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Aug 302012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I can take my key out of the ignition while in drive. Because of the setup of the shifter, and the short space between gears, it's not apparent that the car's not in park, and fairly common for me to remove the key while in drive. I've not had this problem with other cars. Several times I've taken the key out and the car started rolling a little before I stepped on the brake and put the key back in and shifted to park. About 4 or 5 weeks ago I parked at a strip mall in front of a store, and when I came back out my car was backed up against the car on the other side of the aisle, having rolled back about 15 feet. Fortunately there was no damage. Another time my wife went shopping and came out and the car had been in drive the whole time (about an hour) but fortunately the parking lot was flat.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Apr 132012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I parked my van on my sloped driveway, setting the emergency brake. As I was getting out, the van started rolling backward. As I was trying to stop it, I tripped and my left leg was run over by the front left tire. I had an open fracture of my fibula and crush injuries on my shin area (and multiple bruises and pulled muscles elsewhere). I realized later that the van was still in "drive". I had been able to get my keys out without putting it in "park". [I have tested it since then and I still can remove my keys while the van is in "drive" or "neutral"] on testing the emergency brake, I found that it would not hold unless it was pushed all the way to the maximum position. Even though it sounded and "felt" engaged, it did not hold.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Aug 272012

Odyssey 6-cyl

While I was driving my engine light came on and soon after my tcs light came on. I was on the highway and when I slowed down to get off on an exit and tried to go up in gear my van stalled and would not go past 25 to 30 mph. I took it to an auto place to check the engine light and these codes came up P0740 torque converter clutch circuit malfunction and P0730 incorrect gear ratio.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Aug 102011

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the vehicle could be shut off and the key could be removed from the ignition without the vehicle being in park. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 136,000.

- Lees Summit, MO, USA

Sep 102011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission failed while traveling 40mph at 130000 miles. It was replaced. There was a class action lawsuit regarding 2003 transmissions, but the window had closed, so I had to pay for it fully. November 20, 2011, while driving 45mph, dash lights flash, radio loses power. When I turn the ignition off, the car is dead. Restarts almost immediately, after lots of clicking in the dash. At varying speeds the dash lights will flash, and the clock and radio go dead briefly. Sometimes the door lock and the sliding door buttons don't work, but if I wait 2 minutes, I hear the clicking in the dash, and suddenly there is power. Left it at the dealership to be checked out over 4 days, and they say nothing is wrong. To be traveling at 40+ and have the car go dead is a hazard to me and my family, as well as everyone else driving while I am driving. It is currently at another shop to be evaluated.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Oct 102011

Odyssey 6-cyl

There is a problem with ignition with the key. Key does not turn and stuck some times. You have to wiggle it to start. When try to stop the key don't turn all the way down and stuck in it. Unable to pull the key from chamber. Very frustrated. Called Honda for this issue. Honda said there is no recall related to this issue. Unable to take key out few times and constant problem. I read few complain on the internet about this issue.

- Franklin Sq., NY, USA

Aug 312011

Odyssey 6-cyl

This car has a problem with the transmission and there was a test done which gave the diagnostic code PO743. The Honda Odyssey has known issues with the transmission and is not willing to help assist with the repair. I am the original owner and want to know if there is any recourse with Honda. Thank you for your help in this matter.

- Midlothian, VA, USA