2003 Honda Odyssey miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Odyssey:

2003 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Jul 052016

Transmission failed after being brought in already for the recall

- Taylorsville, UT, USA

Jan 182016

Dash cluster lights started dimming tcl light comes on and off. Cruise control works then revs high on highway. Reversing sometines clunks hard.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 012015

Every time I go to close the doors by pulling the handle whether inside or outside, they don't close. I was parked in a flat paved driveway with unleashed dogs in the yard. I didn't realize they were unleashed by they started running toward the car and the doors would not close!!! my 3 year old daughter was in the back seat. This is a huge problem as her safety and my 8 year old sons safety is being compromised. This is a problem for many Odyssey owners and it should be recalled and fixed by the manufacturer. At this point when the doors finally close they are not closing smoothly on the rail. The paint and side bar have literally come off and are now being held up by duct tape. I'm so disgusted!! I don't have the money to pay for a repair especially when this is a manufacturing defect. The only way I have successfully closed the doors is by hitting the inside button but even that needs to be pressed nearly 5-6 times before it closes fully. I have tried to manually close the doors but they are so heavy I just dont have the strength.

- Carbondale, PA, USA

Dec 022015

Transmission started slipping badly at under 140,000 miles. I am original owner and have always used dealer as the mechanic and for recalls or services. I had higher expectations from Honda cars, to go longer. The price they quoted me for repair was over 5000$ just for the transmission. The service was poor and I am very disappointed! they even charged me 115$ just to tell me my transmission is slipping (which I already knew)! the car started slipping on a Monday night. It was late. I used the car to drive my son to school at 7:30 in the am ( 1.5 miles from my house) and the car would not go in gear after stopping to let my son out. I was blocking the school drive and had to have the car towed to Honda. It was clearly not safe to drive. The dealer service was not great, even after going there and buying my car there all these years. I know there has been a recall related to the transmission and I feel that it was not properly resolved!

- Olympia, WA, USA

Sep 162015

Automatic door on drivers side does not latch fully and will come open when driving.

- Morton, IL, USA

Jul 092015

My car 2003 Honda Odyssey won't shift D3, D2,

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Jun 292015

My wife had the accelerator stuck at full throttle with cannon/weathertech floor mats today and it gave her quite a scare, especially since our ten year old son was also in the vehicle at the time. She had it floored to pass a slow moving vehicle on a two lane highway when the issue occurred. I couldn't figure out what was going on because with the van off and in the garage, if I pushed the pedal all the way down, it had plenty of clearance between the pedal and the floor mat. However, on further inspection, I noticed that if you pushed down on the mat approximately where your heal would be, it pushed the mat down into a depression in the floorboard and caused the front lip of the mat to raise up. When the lip of the mat was raised up, it would catch the accelerator pedal and cause it to stick. To remedy the issue we cut a big piece out of the front lip of the mat and then verified it had proper clearance even when pushing the mat down into the depression in the floorboard. We've had these mats over ten years and this is the first time this has happened to us. I hope reporting this will enable a recall or something to prevent others from getting killed or injured. I realize this is an aftermarket vehicle product but hope you are still able to help. I figured out the source of the issue by researching and discovering that this has happened to others as well. See here:

- Ramsey, MN, USA

May 172015

I was driving at 30mph with my 2 small children when all of a sudden my car lost power and would no longer exceed 20mph. I put my hazards on and pulled off to the side of the road I then turned my car off and back on again which helped for a few short minutes before doing the same thing all over again. I continued to do the same process over and over again until I was able to get home I took my car to the dealership I bought it from this morning only to find out I need a new transmission I just bought this van 2 weeks ago I am the second owner

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 132015

Odyssey 6-cyl

The vehicle was unable to accelerate and the check engine light and tcs lite were on and showed to a Honda dealer and he replaced a faulty electronic component. Exact same thing happened and showed again and now they say it is transmission problem and it needs replacement, costs $4900.

- Gurnee, IL, USA

Jul 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

2003 Honda Odyssey. Consumer writes in regards to amount paid for vehicle.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Mar 282013

Odyssey 6-cyl

2003 Honda Odyssey was brought into the dealership for an interlock recall. After work was completed and leaving the dealership the vehicle shuddered violently. This was not the case when the vehicle was brought in.

- Hacienda Heights, CA, USA

Jan 042012

I took my 2003 Odyssey for ac compressor relay replacement when I was informed the front engine mount needed replacing. I was surprised to hear this and I found out through my web search that it is a very common problem with Odyssey model. This is a design flaw and a safety issue for me and my family. Honda should look into this serious problem and read the complaints Odyssey owners have been complaining about and posting on the web I am very disappointed that Honda has been aware of the design flaw in the engine mounts and have not taken responsibility.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Dec 192011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Complete transmission failure while vehicle was operating at highway speeds.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Feb 052010

This vehicles came equipped with P225/60R16 tire sizes. The normal load index of this type of tire 98, which can carry a maximum load of 1653 pounds. The maximum load the front two tires can carry is 3,306 pounds. The curb weight of Honda Odyssey is 4.509 pounds. Normally 70 % of the gross vehicle weight is on the steering axel. That means that front of the vehicle should have about 3,200 pounds of weight without any driver or passenger in this vehicle. A normal driver and passenger would weigh about 350 pounds together. Thus it can be seen that Honda Odyssey tire sizes was selected inadequately to meet its loading requirements. The tire size were designed inadequately to carry the design load of this vehicle resulting in premature wear out of tires or possible tire busting due to continuous over load on designed capacity. This vehicle should be recalled for corrective actions. For your information new Honda Odyssey now comes standard with 235/65R17 tires, appropriate tire size of loading capacity. Why consumers of 2003 Honda Odyssey are punished for manufacturing defects and possible harm in operating it.?

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Sep 192011

Odyssey 6-cyl

On the freeway when all of a sudden without warning slipped and lost power. Very scary with small children in the car and was barley able to make it off the freeway without getting into an accident. Only by the grace of god did we make it safely off the freeway. Honda dealer said we needed a new transmission. I had the extended warranty up to 106,000. Just a few thousand miles over warranty and Honda would only grant %50 coverage. Still cost me $2797. Honda of America knows all about this transmission problem but still does not compensate loyal Honda customers. My dealer replaced this transmission (that had a previous recall in 2003) with a "re-manufactured transmission" now on September 19, 2011 the tcs light came on with the engine warning light and the car "shuddered" badly at 30 mph. Brought to the dealer but they are denying that it is a transmission problem? we bought the Honda Odyssey for its safety features and reliability. Honda and their dealer are not standing behind their product. I will look elsewhere for my next car purchase.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jul 102011

Odyssey 6-cyl

I am writing today with concerns about my 2003 Honda Odyssey. The vehicle was recently at the dealership for a timing belt replacement. Much to my dismay, I received a call saying that the front and side engine mounts were bad and needed to be replaced at a cost of $516.81. I must say that I have never heard of engine mounts going bad on a vehicle and needing to be replaced. We bought a Honda Odyssey to have as a reliable family van that we planned to keep for a while. One of the main reasons we bought a Honda is because of the noted reputation for being a safe and reliable auto brand. The dealer stated that the motor mount replacement should correct another problem that we reported with the van. The transmission regularly makes a terrible clunking noise when it is shifted from park to reverse. We also reported this same clunking and some slipping in the transmission when the vehicle was under warranty and were told that it was not a problem. These problems have never gone away and we have great concerns about the viability of the transmission in our Odyssey. Fortunately it has not left us stranded on the roadside and stuck with a huge repair bill yet. Our concerns seem to be validated based on the information we have read on various web sites about the problems and failures of the Odyssey's transmission. We went ahead and spent the money to have the engine mounts replaced. However, this has not fixed the problem with the ┐clunking┐ noise when shifting the vehicle from park to reverse. I would like to think that we could drive this van for several years to come and accumulate well over 100,000 miles based on the purported reliability of the Honda brand. It looks like the motor mount issue as well as the transmission problems should prompt a recall for this model year due to the volume of issues.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 172011

I bought a 2003 Honda Odyssey and the transmission has an issue for acceleration from 20~40mph, which it looks like the gear not hooked up. I had the Honda dealer check up and they didn't think the transmission had issue. This kind of incident happened many times starting from last October to now. It happened again today. It is dangerous to drive.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Dec 132010

While driving uphill our 2003 Honda Odyssey transmission failed and we dangerously rolled down the hill into a side street, with children in the car. We had it towed to dealership and was told transmission needed to be replaced at a cost of 1/4 of original price of car. Honda agreed to pay 43% of inflated dealership estimate, which clearly is an admission of a defective and unsafe transmission. After repair is made we were still left with an outrageous bill that we cannot afford. Honda has a problem and needs to reimburse 100% of repair costs to make Odyssey safe for transporting families.

- St. Louis, MO, USA