2003 Honda Odyssey seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Odyssey:

2003 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Dec 212013

Odyssey

Service safety recall regarding SRS malfunction was performed on my van by paul miller Honda in caldwell, NJ on 12/21/2013. After the work was done, the SRS malfunction light comes on after 30 minutes of driving. Notified dealer and american Honda. American Honda opened a case for this, N012014-01-0200225. Was advised for a complete diagnostic report from the dealer. Went back to dealer for test on 1/4/14 and a dtc code 53-31, internal failure of SRS unit, was called out on test. Wants SRS unit replaced at my own expense. Advised by dealer that this not related to recall. The recall was adding wires on the harness wires set to the SRS unit. I was advised by american Honda to seek diagnostic test to other dealer. Went to garden state Honda in passaic, NJ on 1/22/14 for a more thorough test. The dealer insist on replacing 2 year battery as this might causes dtc 53-31. Cca on battery was 450, recommended is 550. Told advisor that cca is for cold cranking/starting of van and irrelevant to the problem as long as output is a sustained 12 vdc and I do not have problem when starting the van. Forced to comply at my own expense. Problem still exists with new battery. On 2/6/14 and after 3 trips, dealer recommends replacement of SRS unit on my own expense and not related to recall like the first dealer. The dealer is uncertain if this will resolve the issues. This will be elimination process at my own expense. Van has never had any SRS fault for 10 years. Only after the recall was done when SRS fault light comes on. Now, safety of the driver and passengers are compromised. Air bag may deploy or may not deploy if and when needed. American Honda will not cover the expenses based on the recommendation of dealer. Honda should shoulder all expenses related to the resolution of the SRS fault and the safety of the vehicle. Driver and passenger... updated 02/27/14

- Belleville, NJ, USA

Jan 212014

Odyssey 6-cyl

SRS light appears. The mini-van was taken to service center and I was informed that the driver side airbag inflator module was defective and it needs to be replaced. I note that there is a recall on the 2003 Honda Odyssey driver side airbag inflator module recalls recalls and other components. However, Honda refuses to include my van in the recall. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration should include all 2003 Honda Odyssey in the recall.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Nov 272013

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the driver was traveling approximately 30 mph and crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact was seated in the front passenger's seat and sustained a concussion, severe neck pain and was transported to the hospital via ambulance. The police were called to the scene and a report was filed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Chatham, VA, USA

Dec 122013

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V412000 (air bags) however, after the recall repair was performed the air bag light continued to illuminate. The dealer would not provide additional repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Venice, FL, USA

Nov 092013

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V412000 (air bag) and took the vehicle to the dealer for the remedy repair. The SRS warning light was illuminated at the time. The dealer stated that he could not repair the failure because the remedy was for the failure was not included in the recall remedy. The contact believed that the failure was related to the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure was 174,000.

- Plaquemine, LA, USA

Nov 262013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the SRS warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the air bag was defective. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V412000 (air bag) however, the dealer stated that the specific failure of the vehicle would not be covered under the recall campaign. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate mileage was 178,397. Updated 2/4/14

- Ooltewah , TN, USA

Jun 152013

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 70 mph, another vehicle crashed into the contact head-on. The air bags failed to deploy. The front passenger sustained neck, knee, and chest injuries. The rear passenger sustained injuries to the abdomen. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 105,000.

- Cool Rapids, MN, USA

Apr 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The SRS warning light, indicating a problem with the airbags, illuminates periodically. Sometimes when I turn the car off and back on, the SRS light goes out, but it has been coming on more and more often.

- Choctaw, OK, USA

Sep 122013

Odyssey

Air bag light is on, technician says they won't deploy in an accident, although the car has never had a crash. We are original owners. Tech says it will cost $1,500 to fix them. Seems like a manufacturing defect.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Jan 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The SRS instrument panel light came on and stays lit, indicating some kind of fault with the supplemental restraint system. I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey ex and I have become aware of the ongoing investigation (NHTSA action number: PE13020) regarding the deployment of airbags without a crash in this model year and model. I wanted to report that I too have the SRS light that has come on and stays lit in my van. I am worried that the airbag will deploy while driving and cause an accident and/or injury to the driver or passenger.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Aug 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The airbag light comes on and stays on (2003 Honda Odyssey). I noticed that this is somehow linked to when I shut off my ac in preparation for reaching my destination, leaving the air running with air recycle on. I have taken it to the Honda dealer thrice. When they ran a check the code indicated a problem in the cable. They managed to get the light turned off the first time around indicating that the cable may need to be changed. When the light came back on the second time about a week later the cable was changed. This time the light came back on even before I got the vehicle home from the dealer. The third time I was told that the code indicates a need for cable change and since the cable is new that is not a problem and will require an expensive investigation to get to the bottom of the issue. Since the light was out then they asked to try it out. Again three days later, today 8/26/2013 the light came on as I reached my drive way. This time too I had turned off the ac, leaving the air running for the last couple of minutes. I had been testing this since my third visit to the dealer (3 days ago) and today the light came on again.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jun 032013

Odyssey 6-cyl

SRS airbag warning light came on and stays on. When we had this checked at our local Honda dealer, thelen Honda (bay city, mi), we were told that the SRS unit has an internal malfunction would need to be replaced at a cost of about $650 to us. We have had all routine service completed at the Honda dealer since we purchased the van. Recently, our 2002 Honda civic was recalled for an airbag defect and this was remediated at the same dealer under the Honda recall. This would seem to be a company systemic manufacturing defect worthy of manufacturer recall and replacement.

- Midland, MI, USA

Jun 182013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the front air bags deployed inadvertently. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic, but was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 197,000.

- Tequesta, FL, USA

Jun 102008

Odyssey 6-cyl

Air bag warning light started to turn on and off from time to time. Since early 2012, the warning light has stayed on. The current mileage is just over 64000 miles.

- Lake Oswego, OR, USA

May 012013

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while proceeding from a traffic stop, she crashed into the rear of another vehicle at extremely low impact. The contact stated that the air bags deployed as the brakes were depressed. As a result, the contact sustained injuries to the face and lip from the impact of the air bag. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 109,000.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Feb 152013

Odyssey 6-cyl

On Friday, February 15th, at approximately 7:00 pm, I was driving our 2003 Honda Odyssey with my family when we experienced a spontaneous airbag deployment while waiting at a stoplight. There was no one in front or behind us and I was completely stopped at the red light. The driver's side airbag deployed first with a loud "pop". two to three seconds later the passenger side airbag deployed (where my wife was sitting). Fortunately, both of us were sitting back in our seats and I had my hands off the steering wheel. Neither of us were contacted by the airbags there was a third loud "pop" a couple of seconds after the deployments. The seatbelt tensioners also engaged and now do not function properly. I immediately pulled to the side of the road and confirmed that we had not been struck by anyone or anything. I brought the van into the Honda dealership for an inspection, where we had purchased it a little more than two years earlier. The inspection report states that, "during service inspection did not locate any obvious impacts and/or damage." The dealership pulled codes 53-41 and 54-50, but said they could not get anymore information from the SRS unit until we had them replace the airbags. The Honda dealership then gave us a quote of over $4100 to fix the airbags and seatbelts. I contacted Honda of America and asked that the cause for the airbag deployment be investigated further. It took almost a month to get a corporate Honda representative to inspect the vehicle at the same dealership as the first inspection. Last night I received the results of the second inspection, which gave no potential reasons for the deployment. We left the vehicle at the dealership, asking for more specific documentation on potential causes. My wife and I believe the airbag deployment was the result of a safety defect, and Honda of America has refused to remedy the situation.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Mar 122013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the SRS warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised him that the SRS unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was approximately 168,000. Updated 05/17/13 the consumer stated the vehicle could not be repaired because it was out warranty. The consumer did not receive a repair notice. Updated 06/12/2013

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

May 082012

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the driver was seated in the vehicle while parked and the air bags inadvertently deployed. The driver was taken to the hospital to treat serious injuries that resulted from the air bag deployment. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer but they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired and the contact paid the repair cost of $ $2331.22 the failure mileage was 45,649 updated 7/9/12 the dealer replaced the driver inflator. Updated 07/10/12

- Hattiesburg, MS, USA

May 232011

Odyssey 6-cyl

While in route home from post op appt, my 2003 Honda Odyssey was struck and forced off the highway. We were traveling at 60mph when we were T-boned from vehicle in far left lane. The SUV that hit us was traveling faster, hit us a total of 3 times... drivers passenger door, corner of the nose and in the front on the drivers side. Not one of my 6 airbags deployed and the seatbelts did not lock. The driver was like a ragdoll during our multiple 360's. the van is a total loss and back and neck pain is constant for both of us.

- Nolanville, TX, USA

Jul 192010

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated the frontal air bag lights continues to illuminate. A mechanic reset the air bag light previously and now the light has returned. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer had not been contacted. The failure mileage was 116,000.

- Pomona, CA, USA