8.8

$3,126.00

1. replace transmission (16 reports)
  2. dealer changed transmission from honda rebuilt one (2 reports)
2003 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Odyssey:

2003 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Aug 122013

Odyssey ES 3.5L V6

My wife and I have purchased Honds's since 1984 because of there relibility and safety. However, the transmission in our 2003 Odyssey failed with only 84,500 miles. The local dealer replaced it with a Honda rebuilt for $4,085.00 with a warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles, which ever comes first. The Honda DPSM told the dealer Honda would not cover any kind of goodwill payment to offset my cost due to the age of the Odyssey. Its not ethical that Honda is profitting from their own mistake. If Honda refuses to help pay for my repair, I will not buy another Honda, or recommend a Honda to any of my friends in the future.

- , Goodyear, AZ, USA

Jan 012012

Odyssey LX

Honda's used to have a reputation of reliability. However, that was not seen in this vehicle. Car rusts, drivers window has failed twice (Honda charges $400 for repair) and the transmission which has not even seen 50k miles is failing. The transmission should not fail this early. Will never buy a Honda ever again.

- , Waipahu, HI, USA

Sep 152005

Odyssey 3.2lV6

I bought this car 2003 odyssey from my neighbor and was told that the car missed somewhat when the car changed gears from drive into overdrive. When this problem continued as I drove the vehicle I decided to have it checked at the local dealership. I was told that the analyzing computer said the problem was the gas/ox sensor was not working. Replaced it at a cost of around $175. I still have the odyssey and continue to have the same problem but, getting worse. Have around 165,000 miles. I called the Honda corp. Didn't get any satisfaction. Really like this car except for this problem.

- , Princeton, WV, USA

May 072012

Odyssey EX-L

I thought that Honda made quality cars, but when a transmission goes bad with only 89000 miles, then I have lost confidence in the Honda company. I took the car to where I bought it brand new. They charged me $118.00 dollars to look at at, and then told me it would cost $6050 + tax to correct the problem. WHAT A RIP OFF. THERE IS DEFINITELY A PROBLEM WITH HONDA TRANSMISSIONS.

Update from Jun 26, 2012: I bought this Honda Odyssey brand new. After driving it for 89322 miles the transmission failed. I brought the car to the dealer that I purchased it from. The dealer was "Honda On Grand" in Elmhurst Illinois. They wanted to charge me $6000+ to replace the transmission. I believe that this transmission should be replaced at no charge. I believe that this transmission is under recall from Honda.

- , Elk Grove Village, Illinois, USA

Aug 072011

Odyssey EX-L 3.5L V6

77K and I need a new transmission and engine mounts! My extended warranty lasted to 72K / 7 years. Honda offered $2K. Dealer wanted $6K for tranny and another $2K for engine mounts.

Went to Gator transmission and got a better tranny with cooler and all new mounts for $3500.

I own 4 Hondas - this was the best they can do? Now my 04 Accord is starting to ship... Ugggh.

- , Carol Stream, IL, USA

Jun 062011

Odyssey Ex-lres 3.5L V6

This was my 5th Honda, too bad Honda can not build a reliable tranny! Likely is my last

Honda.

- , Jenks, OK, USA

Jan 122011

Odyssey EX V6

Common problem. When vehicle reaches 100,000 miles, get ready to replace the transmission. Honda will offer NO support even though all 2000-2004 Odysseys suffer same problem.

Recommendation: Make sure you have insurance or buy Toyota.

- , Marriottsville, Maryland, USA

May 302011

Odyssey LX V6

Original owner and loyal customer of the Honda dealership in Suwanee, GA for the past 8 years. Went in on May 30, 2011 and described to servcie department that I was having trouble with slipping in the transmission. After leaving overnight, they told me they could not identify the problem I was describing, but did state that I needed $653 worth of other maintence. Part of that $653 was a 4th pressure switch that they said "may" be causing the slipping trouble that cost me $230. I agreed to all the maintence and picked my van up the following day. On the way home, the transmission began to slip again. I called them to say I would be returning. Once again, I left the van overnight and the technician actually drove it home and they called the following morning to say they could not get the van to "replicate" the problem I was describing. I went to pick it up. A few days later with my kids in the van, the transmission slipped and would not go back into gear. I had to pull over on the side of the road. After turning the ignition off, and re-starting, the transmission went back into gear. Once again, I had yet another kind person follow me to the dealer and left my van with them. This third time, however, after telling me twice before they could not identify the problem, they siad my transmission had failed and I would need a replacement. They called Honda Corp. on my behalf, and Honda Corp. flatly refused to offer ANY assistance. The dealership said they would offer a 10% discount, but I am left with the staggering remainder of $3800 for an issue that I firmly believe Honda should be held accountable for. I denied repair, went and picked my van up, and have it sitting in my driveway pondering the next move.

- , Cumming, GA, USA

Mar 202011

Odyssey EX V6

I am so disappointed in Honda. My husband and I have been driving civics and accords for years. Our 1995 accord has 220K miles on it and it is still running strong.

I had wanted an Odyssey for years and we finally bought one. I take great care of this car. I notice the transmission seemed to be slipping so I took it to the dealer who looked at the car and said we need a new transmission. It will cost $5200 to repair it and the BB value of the car is only about $6500. Since Honda knows about the problem but doesn't care enough about their reputation to fix it, I am done with Honda.

- , Avon, OH, USA

Mar 152011

Odyssey EX

I have read countless Odyssey owners 2002-2004 who have had transmission issues and replacements up to three times. Ridiculous!! A transmission should last to at least 150,000 miles or more with proper care, which mine has had. All recommended services were performed, but this issue is with Honda quality (or lack thereof). Honda should be taking responsibility for this and replacing trannies with GOOD ones, not CRAP that is going to go bad again in 20,000 miles or less. I WILL NOT BY A HONDA AGAIN...AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW THAT THEY DO NOT TAKE CARE OF THEIR CUSTOMERS. Best way I know to keep someone else from suffering the same pain.

- , Grand Forks AFB, ND, USA

Feb 142011

Odyssey LX 3.5L V6

My wife drove this minivan and just before freeway light of "check engine" turned ON, transmission starts sleeping and car just stop. She gets in panic because in this time was heavy traffic and situation become dangerous. She slowly drove to friends house and dropped the car overnight. Next day I checked codes and had P0730 and P0780 (Transmission failure).

"Poway Honda" in San Diego, CA was asking for $4,565.00 to replace bad transmission by refurbished unit! I was very disappointing with Honda "high" quality product (Only 108k miles and ~$5,000.00 I have to pay for used transmission!) I found

one private company for $3.300.00 to replace this junk from Honda. Just one question- is this mechanical designer engineer still working for Honda?

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 172010

Odyssey 3.5L

While working for a company that service thousands of cars ( Tires and Mechanical Maintenance Repairs),and after being thru hell with a Van Ford Windstar, I ask around several Owners for the opinion and advise for the Best family MiniVan in the Market decided to purchase "the Best in the Market: a Used Honda Odyssey 2003 with an Extended Warranty of 100.000 miles. So as soon I started driving this car, another vehicle like mine approach me lower our windows and scream at me to go and check the " Transmission that this model and year came with a defect transmission and he went tru hell fighting against Honda Manufacture to accept responsability for their mistakes.A recall was announced by Honda on April 2004 NHTSA REFERENCE # 04V176000. So he insist and warn me about his horrendous experience he went thru. So soon enough I express my concern and request to check throughly before the end of the warranty and the keep saying No Problems, They change the oil of the transmission at that time before the 100000 mile, So soon enough 30000 miles after the transmission the Engine light came, I immediately call Honda Customer serviceat (800) 999-1009- with the recall department and advise me to take the vehicle to the Honda Dealer for inspection if the technician find the problem to be related with the transmission and the recall they (Honda Corp). will help me with the charges, I ask also what about the charges of the inspection He answer me: If we repair it we void the charges of inspection Check Diagnostic.I went to Honda Coral Way in Miami Florida which the computer came the diagnostic CODE P1750 That means The Transmission needs to be replaced, I called again, they denied, apologyse for giving me wrong information, but they will no paid for nothing, The Service manager did try to get help from the manufacture and the Service Rep offer to help with 50 % from Parts so that's it .

Honda Recall Departmen Clean their hands and treat the customers like animals, with deceit lies and running around and selling crap.I am sure that no every is like that in Honda but individuald that are not working as professionals with a unwise and ill manners taking wrong decisions that jeoperdize the employment status and make the company to loose customers,money, reputation,trust,and decline in sales and for being greety for $3000 dollars , end loosing millions In a act of good will I just asking to replace the transmission. I had paid a lot money and and it is fair for them to paid for their mistakes!!!!!!

- , Miami, Florida, USA

Jan 292010

Odyssey LX 3.5L

Replacing tranny also requires new ECU because replacement transmission design is different (clearly a fundamental engineering problem). Honda low balled "goodwill" offer trying to sell me on it. However, numerous other claimants experienced $0 cost replacement even though warranty expired. (in my case, I am under the mileage but over the time period).

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA

Oct 012009

Odyssey LX V6

I can't believe that Honda never took care of this. This website is full of transmission problems with the Odyssey. It is like all the other complaints. It still drives, but you never know when it will stick in 2nd, and you have to hobble home. I guess I will have to pay the $3500.00 to have it rebuilt. I thought Honda made a better car!

Update from Dec 11, 2012: I had a complete transmission failure, after having it rebuilt 2 years ago. It is a bad design or something....nothing seems to help to keep it running long term. After owning many different cars, trucks and vans. This was the first vehicle where I had a transmission fail! No more Honda products for me.

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 252009

Odyssey LX

Car did major clunk far from home and engine light came on. Managed to hobble home. Honda dealer charged C$112 to hook up their computer and tell me they needed to replace the transmission for $6400 and computer for C$1200. Plus a $100 alignment.

No explanation as to why the C$1200 computer needed replacement just that it was "recommended."

Seemed to resume working fine so I took a chance and again had a problem on the highway but managed to hobble home again. Local tranny shop hooked up their computer for free, actually spent a bit of time trying to figure out the exact problem and ultimately rebuilt it for C$2800 with one year warranty. Computer seems to be just fine. Fingers are crossed.

Honda must make a lot of money on these things!

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Aug 142008

Odyssey EXL

The transmission started slipping after driving on highways. then after a while it slips from 2nd to 3rd gear. the engine keeps reving to 3k or 4k until it falls into gear. Took it to the dealership they asked me to but the solenoid which was a waste. because that did not fix anything. after that they declared the tranny to be dead.and they asked for 3k to fix. horrible experience with HONDA USA. they basically asked me to get a new car b.c this onr was done with... way to do business I guess .. Never going for a honda again and selling my other ody as well ...

- , Altamonte Springs, FL, USA

Aug 012008

Odyssey LX

Just found out after dealer had done a diagnostic test that we need to get a new transmission. Warranty just ran out, just in time for the transmission problem to give out. Estimated cost will be $5,000 - $7,000. Transmission problems were found in the 1999 Odyssey vans and not 2003. I guess all Odysseys have this same problem. It seems as if the year doesn't matter any more. Honda really need to take a look at this common problem and provide a recall for owners who are having the headache of having to deal with this costly problem. No Honda's from this point on...we have pretty much lost our interest in any Honda models.

- , Kapolei, HI 96707, USA

Jun 282006

Odyssey

Do the research people. Honda Odyssey still has ongoing transmission problems. I needed Honda to advise me, if they would supply me with a replacement transmission [My gosh.... honor the Warranty????].

Don Davis Honda says, he called American Honda Corp to take care of the details but, they could not honor the so called "good faith extended warranty". I called American Honda corp to try to resolve this issue. They had NO knowledge of a conversation taking place with Don Davis Honda. Don Davis Honda also said that he was several hours into working on my van (font suspension apparently taken apart and tranny out) and that I was tying up one of his lifts. This was apparently adding to my bill so, I should not take too long to give him the "go ahead" to fix it. BUT, the van was actually parked behind the building when I drove by two nights later. Don Davis Honda said that, the reason for the tranny problem was, I did not change the tranny fluid properly. He then changed his claim a couple days later stating that the problem was caused by "road damage". The insurance company disagreed on the road damage scam, based on physically evaluating the van. SO.... the problem was determined to be MY FAULT by both American Honda Corp and the dealer. American HONDA Corp has a "marketing gimmic" as a solution to the ongoing transmission problems. It's called a "good faith extended warranty". In the media, it sounds very sincere and appears that Honda Corp is loyal to their customers. In reality, it's a scam. Both my Honda's will be up for sale. SEE YA HONDA!!!!! You'll never see my business again and my family and freinds will know about my experience with this modern-day American Honda Corp. Once upon a time, Honda use to make quality vehicles....................

- , Grand Island, NY, USA

Jun 242007

Odyssey EXL 3.5L

I bought certified used 2003 Honda Odyssey EXL. When u shift to drive or reverse from park and give gas to move, it can't go anywhere, after release gas paddle and do it again it moved. It happened in winter time approx three times after warm up van.

Then when u drive in city below 50 mile and after breaking the speed , tried to pick up again can't go anywhere and u have to do the same thing , move the foot from gas paddle and press it again it moves. On highway we never had a problem means above 55 MPH.

This problem was intermittent from last six month and finally light on dashboard lit up for engine/Transmission. and force me to take it to the dealer. Dealer said need whole new transmission , shock me. "Honda has such kind problem" Why not? Honda Maybe out sourcing to manufacture Odyssey. Any way dealer changed transmission and related accessories without any charge and cover rental van without cost to me. In reality first time i heard that some auto repair dealer cover repair items under warranty.

I feel little comfortable with repair but still bothering me this breakdown, because people who buy this type of vehicle are family persons with lot of small kids and middle class family. can't afford big repair cost and headache with lots of family responsibility. Also this is look like to me a safety issue, when u tried to accelerate car and it can't go anywhere might involve in accident and cost money and innocent life. So tried to aware of this problem to everyone who own the 2003 Honda Odyssey and please take a look in to it and contact the authorized dealer or Honda for fixing this problem if u have before bad thing happen to anybody. Also please report complain in Honda so they can help other people ASAP.

- , Iselin, NJ, USA

Oct 252006

Odyssey EX-L 6 cyl

The tranny on this vehicle was recalled, we brought it in for the fix and 6 months later, it started slipping again. We've had several unexpected problems with this vehicle (see, engine, electrical & rear window issues). We paid more for the Honda expecting much better quality - VERY DISAPPOINTED with the ongoing issues. My 93 Jeep Cherokee has 260,000 miles, original engine & original tranny!

- , Suwanee, GA, USA