7.6

$1,668.00

2. repaint the whole car (13 reports)
  3. repainted (6 reports)
  4. repaint the car (5 reports)
2004 Honda Odyssey body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Odyssey:

2004 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jan 012011

Odyssey LZ V6

I am very disappointed in Honda. I have been a lifelong Honda loyalist. My first car was a Civic, my next car an Accord, and when I had children, I bought an Odyssey. I bought Hondas because I like cars that are worth their cost in reliability, safety, resale value, and appearance.

Late last year, I brought my 2004 Odyssey to the dealer for service, at which time I also asked about this weird patch on the front door where the clear coat appeared to be peeling away. I was told that there had been some auto work done on that door, and that I needed to bring it back to the body shop to inquire. Since then, however, the clear coat has begun to peel in two other areas on the car as well... areas not ever touched by a body shop... near the rear left tire and on the roof. Additionally a clear coating appears to be flaking off the rims of the tires, leaving some rusting on the rims, etc. You can literally peel it off in these places where it has begun to shed it's coat.

So yesterday, I went browsing on the internet and learned this is a KNOWN issue. In fact, Honda released an extended warranty for Odysseys purchased between 2003-2005 but only for Odysseys that are black, blue or red where the problem will be most readily visible.

This is my great disappointment. Things happen. I get that. Sometimes parts or materials get swapped for cheaper parts or materials and they aren't as good; companies have the right to try and reduce costs and then deal with the consequences when they occur. But to learn that they KNEW this would be an issue... of course for all Odyssey owners with cars purchased in the time that I bought my car, but to report this issue only to those who they estimated would see it, is deceptive and completely destroys my former trust in the Honda brand. I no longer trust that they are as committed to profits as they are to value for their customers--a win/win for business and driver. I now believe they are only committed to profits and I will no longer trust their product for this reason.

I also want the problem fixed and will pursue it to the end.

- , Woodinville, WA, USA

Feb 012009

Odyssey

The paint along the front bumper of my navy blue 2004 Honda Odyssey began peeling without cause. The paint began flaking off near the front license plate anchor points, and has slowly spread over the past 18 months to cover areas across the front bumper. I have been told by other Honda owners that this is common for this color and year.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 232010

Odyssey EX-L 6 cyl

My 2004 white Odyssey is peeling in the exact same manner as the infamous midnight blue Odysseys: on the roof, under the hatch and along the sliding doors. Honda states that because it is out of warranty it is not covered despite the fact that Honda has covered the blue vans with special extended warranties. I could accept the paint peeling if I had harmed the paint or if it was caused by wear, but it is a DEFECT that many other Odysseys have. Over the past 20 years I have purchased 7 Hondas and with the total lack of customer support that I recently received, it will definitely be the last. I have come to expect this type of poor customer service from the domestic automakers, but from Honda? I guess Honda has slid to the level of Ford and GM. Shame on American Honda!

- , Williamsburg, VA, USA

Aug 092010

Odyssey LX

I THINK THAT IT IS BULL, I PURCHASED THIS VAN BRAND NEW IN 2004 AND THE DEALER HAS THE NERVE TO TELL ME THAT IT IS NOT THEIR PROBLEM. IT IS NOT UNDER WARRANTY THAT THEY ARE NOT GOING TO FIX IT. WHEN SOMEONE PAYS A LOT OF MONEY FOR A BRAND NEW CAR THEY DON'T EXPECT THE PAINT TO START PEELING AFTER 6 YEARS. IF THE HONDA DEALERS WOULD PUT A CLEAR COAT OF PAINT THEN THIS PROBLEM WOULD NOT BE HAPPENING.

- , Cloverdale, CA, USA

Jun 192008

Odyssey V6

I took my car to the dealership about the paint, it's peeling off the hood in two different areas. They agreed it was a factory defect and that they would have to keep my car a week to fix it. But sorry no loaner. I haven't been able to get it fixed...because quite frankly I can't afford a rental and I can't go without a car for a week.

- , Abingdon, MD, USA

Mar 072008

Odyssey V6

As soon as I noticed the peeling paint. I am able to peel half dollar size pieces off with my fingers. I took it to the Honda dealership. They told me this is a known problem with the Midnight Blue Color. They just had another car in last week with peeling roof. They offered to repaint the affected panels. THey also gave me a rental car for the week and a half that it took to repaint. WHile I am very pleased that they did all this with no cost to me. (ANd my car is past the warranty time)...I am a little concerned with the future and this car. I asked the Honda Body shop what happens if next year something else starts peeling. THey said they take it on a case by case basis.

- , Burlingame, CA, USA